Chisel Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually have an IR thermometer which measures up to 1200 deg which I use for my home made foundry. But I guess this isn’t about temp as much as the Curie point, so the loss of magnetism is the key.

I like the idea of hotter oil for quenching.

thanks
Temp is more important than curie, it’s just a handy coincidence for basic steels- go with the IR thermometer and aim for 800

Temp is more important than curie, it’s just a handy coincidence for basic steels- go with the IR thermometer and aim for 800
That’s a good tip, thanks.

Any idea what temp oil to quench in? Our deep fat fryer has a temperature control 60-200 deg. Don’t tell SWMBO.

When I want a faster quench I heat my quench oil to 70c. I know of people who go up to 180c (but that’s for a specific steel that won’t be what your chisel is made of)

Yes, as long as it gives good consistant reliable readings. I have one (up to 500c) very unreliable on smallish objects (and it has a laser guide) Its good for radiators, walls etc, but for something as tiny as a chise heated in a fire, +/- 100c at best

Interesting stuff, but as a woodworker I'd say, what about just binning it and buying another? They are very cheap.
yes and no - I wouldn't bin it, old knackered chisels come in very handy for many many things.
but for heat treating etc - it is just a fascinating subject that helps to give a greater insight into how stuff works. I made a woodturning scraper from an old file, it doesnt stay as sharp as something from the likes of axminster, but its not bad, and I just love using stuff I have crafted myself.
I must make another

yes and no - I wouldn't bin it, old knackered chisels come in very handy for many many things.
but for heat treating etc - it is just a fascinating subject that helps to give a greater insight into how stuff works. I made a woodturning scraper from an old file, it doesnt stay as sharp as something from the likes of axminster, but its not bad, and I just love using stuff I have crafted myself.
I must make another
that's a great reason to experiment with it!

may the gods of martensite be with you!

Doesn't everybody do a "micro bevel" to start with, i.e. if it's ground at about 25º then hone a "micro bevel" at about 30º ?
I always do, though the micro bevel eventually becomes macro of course
No. I generally put them on chisels wider than 3/4 but not on smaller chisels.

Back