OK...so where is the scam ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an Apple Watch on eBay at auction. Opening bid at £120. Some guy has just emailed me and asked if I would accept £260.

So on the principle that if it's too good to be true ....

where is the scam, please ?

Could be a "slow burner" , wait and see how he proposes to pay you.Yes, I know that in theory he pays the bay, who release funds to you..but he could pay with a hacked account or a stolen card etc , if that were the case , eventually ebay could "claw back" from you, long after you had sent the goods. face to face deals on neutral ground, police station car parks are a good spot ( not your home ) are the safest way to trade with strangers.Maybe take a large mate (depends how big and / or "handy" you are ), accept cash only and test the notes with anti-fake notes pen.

I don't do Apple products but maybe he knows the value it is likely to go up to and want's to stop the auction at this point🤷‍♂️

I have an Apple Watch on eBay at auction. Opening bid at £120. Some guy has just emailed me and asked if I would accept £260.

Did he use the eBay messaging system or email? If the latter how did he get your address?
Brian

I'm guessing you must have done your homework on the selling price before you posted your listing.
I also do not know anything about Apple products, but if previous items the same have sold for £280 ish the offer to me sounds genuine.

Colin

What was their feedback rating? How long have they been a member? Have they bought anything recently?

It might involve anything from them obtaining stolen bank details to asking you to deal outside of ebay which might lead to you receiving a fake message saying you've received the sale funds when really you haven't.

Out of principal I ignore people who send buy it now offers when I haven't set up an auction that way.

There are so many scams it is difficult to tell these days. My daughter sold her apple watch online and the amount of chancers was unbelievable. Even through normal auction you need to be very careful. Common scam is the "purchaser" claims didn't receive or not in box and then gets a refund from PayPal. Would check ebay advice to minimise risk. Personally I would only take cash face to face now

I’ve had this occasionally over the years. I take the view that if it’s genuinely worth what is being offered, I politely turn the initial offer down and explain that it needs to go through the bidding process on the basis that it would reach that price.

I understand that it is a gamble but I take the view that I was happy with this process when I put the item on eBay initially.

Only take payment through eBay and send recorded delivery.

Another variation...

He gets your watch.
"It's a fake"
Starts process to secure a refund.

Perhpas it's the scam so popular with Facebook. Agree the sale, then the buyer says they will pay cash, sending it by the courier who will take the goods when you are satisfied with the money. Then they say the courier firm want money for insurance of the cash, so the buyer will ask you to pay the insurance money and they will add it to the money they are sending. They have no intention of actually getting the goods - just the "insurance" money.

If you suspect a scam,politely refuse, but before you do that- first add him to your 'blocked buyer' list.

If you think it is legit. Then agree to end the auction- as long as there are no bids on it. Then relist at that price in a buy it now.

But dont try or agree to do business outwith ebay.

" Only take payment through eBay and send recorded delivery."
Wise words.

I've over a thousands sales on ebay and every single one bar two was sent either 1st,2nd class recorded royal mail(or parcelforce24,48)

The two that weren't recorded - mysteriously disappeared in the post. That happened early on, and i clearly learned the lesson.
Also only sell to UK. Sod international, EU, islands etc.

Last edited:
Perhpas it's the scam so popular with Facebook. Agree the sale, then the buyer says they will pay cash, sending it by the courier who will take the goods when you are satisfied with the money. Then they say the courier firm want money for insurance of the cash, so the buyer will ask you to pay the insurance money and they will add it to the money they are sending. They have no intention of actually getting the goods - just the "insurance" money.
I was subjected to this one a few days ago whilst selling an item on FB. They were trying to induce me to pay the carriage charges to a courier of their choice on collection (we're talking of a 6' bed/setttee btw). After collection I would receive payment for the item and carriage. A likely story.
That's the short version. The conversation lasted 10 emails (they directed me out of FB on to emails). I let it run just out of interest.
Brian

If you suspect a scam,politely refuse, but before you do that- first add him to your 'blocked buyer' list.

If you think it is legit. Then agree to end the auction- as long as there are no bids on it. Then relist at that price in a buy it now.

But dont try or agree to do business outwith ebay.

" Only take payment through eBay and send recorded delivery."
Wise words.

I've over a thousands sales on ebay and every single one bar two was sent either 1st,2nd class recorded royal mail(or parcelforce24,48)

The two that weren't recorded - mysteriously disappeared in the post. That happened early on, and i clearly learned the lesson.
Also only sell to UK. Sod international, EU, islands etc.
☝️
This is how to do it.

My lad was scammed out of an iPad.
The buyer asked him to pay for recorded delivery at the post office and send a photo of the receipt with tracking number etc. Once they had proof of postage, they would then immediately transfer the cash to his bank account.
This was safe as he could always ask the post office for the item back if the money wasn’t sent.
I advised against this as I know once submitted, you cannot retrieve a package from RM but my lad knew better…..

Of course the money never materialised in his account and despite pleading at the post office, they would not hand back the package.

Back