Oaths of enlistment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goulss

Can we just get this in perspective please. You posted something I didn't like and I simply said so. The consensus of opinion is that I over-reacted and should lighten up and whether I accept that or not, the bottom line is that we disagreed and I would hope we can agree to disagree. This is a good forum although apart from Sharpening (sorry all), Off-Topic does often raise emotions. Having just led a circuit training group of 12 guys (from the front) and being a scouser by birth, banter is second nature but whether it was my family circumstances or the experience of last weekend, I rightly or wrongly took exception. That is the start, middle and end for me and so I wouldn't want you to leave the forum simply because you don't like my views.

Mark-numbers: - not sure if being a miserable sprout is due to living in Sutton Coldfield, but I'll admit to it anyway.

RossJarvis - absolutely agree and the officers are under no illusion as to what the ranks think of them.

Well said Glynne - I guess I must be a, 'Miserable sprout' too having lived in Four Oaks until I was 21, then I slipped south to Essex to where the sunshine is ha ha. Jinx.

Glynne":1s4pezx1 said:
This is a good forum although apart from Sharpening

You know what happens when you mention sharpening!
0whip-smiley_33049138490292819776.gif

:lol:

This one rather reminds me of the spoof application to live in *********(town of your choice) that did the rounds some years ago. It went along the lines of:-
Which leg is longest?
Is your mother your 1/ wife 2/ auntie 3/ mistress 4/ sister?
How many wrecked cars will you have parked on your drive?
How many items of white goods will you have in the back garden?
When did you last see Elvis?
How many gold teeth have you?
Etc. etc.
It's remarkably easy to offend people who've had a humour bypass.

phil.p":1dl7x644 said:
This one rather reminds me of the spoof application to live in *********(town of your choice) that did the rounds some years ago. It went along the lines of:-
Which leg is longest?
Is your mother your 1/ wife 2/ auntie 3/ mistress 4/ sister?
How many wrecked cars will you have parked on your drive?
How many items of white goods will you have in the back garden?
When did you last see Elvis?
How many gold teeth have you?
Etc. etc.
It's remarkably easy to offend people who've had a humour bypass.

Pretty much any town or city in America then :mrgreen:

Glynne":rw0htz9e said:
Just to clarify : -

My reply to the post was not intended as a troll or to wind people up - I genuinely found it offensive but if others don't then their opinion is just as vaild as mine.
Since some of the replies have come in, I have run the original post past 2 current serving officers and the best way I can put it is that they were disappointed in it.
If the majority on the forum are comfortable with the post then OK - I'm simply putting forward my view which obviously doesn't coincide with most of the replies.

"Officers" well there endith the issue....Officers have no snese of humor, lest map reading skills!!!!

It's military humor, I have seen a lot worse and said some too. I am sure other ex-military will agree.....It's called black humor and I agree not for some.

Sutton Coldfield is great - I just moved south to cheer up the Southerners... (Waits for southern explosion)

Jinx said:
Sutton Coldfield is great - I just moved south to cheer up the Southerners... (Waits for southern explosion)
Jinx,,,,welcome to essex,,,, hope you signed the essex oath of enlistment,,

Jinx":wmnfub8l said:

Us Southerners may be wimps, drink beer without shaving foam on top, hate the cold, speak funny etc, but it's not our fault we were born in civilisation (obviously not including Portsmouth or Aldershot), we had no choice in the matter. (Waits for Northern Explosion....).

RossJarvis":1d9v0n85 said:
Jinx":1d9v0n85 said:

Us Southerners may be wimps, drink beer without shaving foam on top, hate the cold, speak funny etc, but it's not our fault we were born in civilisation (obviously not including Portsmouth or Aldershot), we had no choice in the matter. (Waits for Northern Explosion....).

I'm keeping out of this, I'm a Brummie so neither Northern Nutter or Southern Softie :mrgreen:

Although I did live in Chandlers Ford for about six years while posted at Portsmouth :oops:

MMUK":1ye6cg5i said:
I'm keeping out of this, I'm a Brummie so neither Northern Nutter or Southern Softie :mrgreen:

I was trying to explain the British sense of humour to an American recently, I pointed out that Londoners talk no sense and joke 100% of the time, Western Islanders hardly ever say anything and never joke, no one knows if people from Dundee are joking or not, but was stumped with discussing Midlanders, so I came to the conclusion that they'd been having a joke on the rest of us for centuries and we'd never got it.

RossJarvis":dc4ps1y9 said:
I was trying to explain the British sense of humour to an American recently, I pointed out that Londoners talk no sense and joke 100% of the time, Western Islanders hardly ever say anything and never joke, no one knows if people from Dundee are joking or not, but was stumped with discussing Midlanders, so I came to the conclusion that they'd been having a joke on the rest of us for centuries and we'd never got it.

:lol: (homer)

Back