Oaths of enlistment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goulss

Established Member
Reaction score
Nicked of a Farcebook page ,probably been posted before ,but it made me chuckle

THE BRITISH FORCES OATHS OF ENLISTMENT

ROYAL AIR FORCE OATH OF ENLISTMENT
I, Crabby, swear to sign away four years of my useless life to the Royal Air Force because I know I couldn't hack it in the Army and because the Marines frighten me. I swear to sit behind a desk and take credit for the work done by others more dedicated than me who take their job seriously. I also swear not to do any form of real exercise, but promise to defend our bleep test as a valid form of exercise.
I swear to uphold and defend the Crown, even though I believe myself to be above that. I promise to walk around calling everyone by their first name because I know I'm not really in the military and I find it amusing to annoy the other services. I will have a better quality of life than all those round me and will at all times be sure to make them aware of that fact.
After completion of my (he he) "basic training," I will be a lean, mean, doughnut-eating, lazy-boy sitting, civilian-wearing-blue-clothes, Sick Bay Ranger. I will believe that I am superior to all others, and will make an effort to clean the knife before stabbing the next person in the back with it. I will do no work unless someone is watching me (and it makes me look good), will annoy those around me, and will go home early every day.
I consent to never getting promoted --EVER --and understand that all those whom I made fun of yesterday will probably outrank me tomorrow.
So help me God.
Signature: _________ Date: ________

BRITISH ARMY OATH OF ENLISTMENT
I, Pongo, swear to sign away four years of my mediocre life to the British Army because I couldn't score high enough on the entrance test to get into the Air Force, I'm not tough enough for the Royal Marines, and the Royal Navy won't take me because I can't swim or read.
I will wear Combat 95 every day and tuck my trousers into my boots because I can't figure out how to use Twisters. I will promise to tell myself every day that I am a fierce killing machine because the RSM told me I am, despite the fact that the only action I ever will see is a court martial for sexual harassment.
I acknowledge the fact that I will make L/Cpl in my first year of service, and vow to maintain that it is because I scored perfect on my PT test. After completion of my sexual --er --I mean, BASIC training, I will attend a different Army school once every other month and return from each knowing less than I did when I left.
On my first leave after basic, I will walk around like I am cool and propose to my sixth form girlfriend. I will make my wife stay home, because if I let her out she might leave me for a smarter, better-looking Air Force guy. Should she leave me twelve times, I will continue to take her back.
While at work, I will maintain a look of knowledge while getting absolutely nothing
accomplished. I will arrive at work every day at 1000 hours because of morning PT and leave every day at 1300 hours to report back to the "section." I understand that I will undergo no training whatsoever that will help me get a job in civvy street, and will end up working in security at Tesco with my friends from high school. I will brag to everyone about the Army giving me £1500 for education, but will be unable to use it because I can't pass a placement exam.
So help me God.
signature:_________ Date:_______

ROYAL NAVY OATH OF ALLEGIANCE
I, Popeye, in lieu of going to prison, swear to sign away four years of my life to the Royal Navy because I want to hang out with Marines without actually having to BE one of them, because I thought the Air Force was too gay and because I thought, "Hey, I like to swim ... Why not?"
I promise to wear clothing that went out of style in 1976 and to have my name stencilled on the buttocks of every item of clothing I own. I understand that I will be mistaken for Mr Bean during the summer, and for a recruit from the Waffen 55 during the winter. I will strive to use a different language than the rest of the English-speaking world, using words like "deck, bulkhead, lid, and heads," when I really mean "floor, wall, hat, and toilet." I will take great pride in the fact that all Navy acronyms, ranks and insignia, and everything else for that matter, are completely different from the other services and make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I will muster (whatever that is) at 0700 hours every morning unless I am bessy oppos with the Chief, in which case I will show up around 0930 hours.
I vow to hone my coffee cup handling skills to the point that I can stand up in a kayak being tossed around in a typhoon and still not spill a drop ..
I consent to being promoted and subsequently busted at least twice each fiscal year. I realize that, once selected for Chief, I am required to submit myself to the sick, and quite possibly illegal, whims of my new-found "colleagues."
So help me Neptune.
signature:_________ Date: _______

ROYAL MARINES OATH OF ENLISTMENT
1/ (state name here), swear ... uhhhh ... hard-and-fast...
grunt... Green Lid ... ugh ... WRN5 .... HOORAH!
So help me Corps.
Thumb Print:_________ Date: _______

This is a completely tasteless and offensive post and whilst could be expected on Facebook, it has no place here on UKWorkshop.
There will be other members who have either been in the military or, like me, have sons and daughters who are currently serving and this is just an insult.

Perhaps you should check today's Midland News where a funeral is being held at Lichfield Cathedral for a young soldier killed in Afghanistan - I'm sure his family would see the funny side of your post.

I understand you loyalty Glynne and respect it, but as ex Infantry in Ireland in the 80's I take no offence. I remember we all used to think that the Army was for the council house estates (where I cam from) and the RAF for kids who's mom and dad owned their own house - and the Navy, well I cannot say on here!

Also the biggest thing in any services is the camaraderie and taking the mick. I doubt if many will take offence, and most of the content probably came from what those services say about themselves. Jinx

As an ex-Naval Petty Officer, I don't take offence either. So many people these days take things too seriously :roll: Although I never managed to not spill my coffee :lol:

You'd be surprised at how many people that statement describes accurately :wink:

Don't think any disrespect was intended Glyynne , at another time and perhaps another place it would have been more appropriate but give Goulss the benefit of the doubt that he was just trying to make people smile and his intention has been misunderstood by you.

Fair play to you all for your comments and perhaps my post came across as being too serious.
I have just spent the last weekend with RAF personnel on an Army base so I understand the banter (which is sometimes a lot more than just banter!) but I'm not sure in times where there are unprecedented cuts in the military and where we are deploying people in war zones, why we would do anything but support the professionalism of all our Military?
Yes those pen portraits will fit a lot of people - as they would do if you looked at many professions, Health, Civil Service etc. but having been to the gym on Sunday (to mess about in the cricket nets) and seeing physical rehabilitation going on after horrendous injuries, the initial post didn't come across well.

I'd be prepared to bet good money that the original post was created by someone serving in the military.

BugBear

+1 Glynne.

As an ex miltary bloke myself, I too would bet (almost) any money that the original/s were written by someone serving. Despite what you've seen of people doing rehab after injuries incurred in what is, in effect, war (and you're quite right, in comparison to the USA, in general we don't take our service people seriously enough) personally I think you're over-reacting.

Fortunately there was no shooting going on when I was in the RAF but there was a very popular recruiting poster at the time - "There's a place for you in the RAF" - to which all us "old lags" always replied "Yeah, mine!"

I suggest you lighten up a bit (though I DO agree with you about the cuts).

AES

Glynne, for your information I have served in the Army (RA) and was disabled out after getting my left arm wrecked whilst serving, so wind your neck in and please read a definition of humour, and yes anyone who is a serving or ex member of any of the forces would recognise this as humour!

I have also spent a lot of time raising money for Forces charities since coming out in 75

Lighten up!

Don't know if your just trolling for am argument Glynne but I personally find it more offensive when a jumped up civvy tries to defend service men from their own sense if humour than any of the jokes your likely to hear. And believe me having served in the Navy I've been the object of many if the jokes.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

My grandad was a sergeant in the RAF he apprenticed at 16 in 1938. He said the moto was "he who expects nothing, will not be disappointed."

Adidat

Just to clarify : -

My reply to the post was not intended as a troll or to wind people up - I genuinely found it offensive but if others don't then their opinion is just as vaild as mine.
Since some of the replies have come in, I have run the original post past 2 current serving officers and the best way I can put it is that they were disappointed in it.
If the majority on the forum are comfortable with the post then OK - I'm simply putting forward my view which obviously doesn't coincide with most of the replies.

This is very common humour for serving or ex servicemen, particularly lower ranks, what they would say about current serving officers would be much more offensive!

Mods, I think it is probably for the best if this thread is deleted if it is going to cause people to be upset, and on that note I will say goodbye, this is a great forum but obviously not for me!

Bye folks.

Goulss

I rarely comment on threads such as these but I just have to say that it is you who keeps returning to it, if it distresses you so much just ignore it.

I'm afraid many have left this place over the years and I have trouble remembering who they are so you grand gesture is wasted on me.

Mick

Back