Oak wooden peg/dowel replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncan_needshelp

Reaction score
Hi all,

My dog chewed my friends dining room table so I need help replacing an oak peg (see pictures). I've looked on the internet but can't find anything that fits the bill. I'm hoping someone here could point me in the direction of someone that would stock this or can manufacture one please.

The dimensions are 150 length 100 tapering from 10 to 20 diam and then the remaining 50 length at 20 diameter.

Thanks in advance
Duncan

Attachments

• IMG_20181021_095010.jpg
    IMG_20181021_095010.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 162
I'd google and contact a local woodturners club to save your blushes and offer payment. It's a very simple job. Can be done by hand if you have the tools, set up, etc already but I'm guessing not. Might be a turner on here will take it on but it's an easier job to take the original to the turner to use as a pattern I would think so I'd try local clubs. Do it for a drink, you might end up with a new hobby. :wink:
(Not sure that's oak either btw...)

It looks like a scrubbed pine table to me, with a pine peg. I'm guessing this isn't pegging a mortice & tenon, but is on show doing a through tenon. Personally, as this is a one-off I'd simply be planing this from square with a block plane.

easy to shape with an axe and finish off with plane, sharp knife, spokeshave or whatever you can lay your hands on. Or draw-knife to do it with one tool alone.

Jacob":iprazxrh said:
easy to shape with an axe and finish off with plane, sharp knife, spokeshave or whatever you can lay your hands on. Or draw-knife to do it with one tool alone.

Hard with a drawknife unless you've got a shaving horse.

MikeG.":3iqdyvwk said:
Jacob":3iqdyvwk said:

Hard with a drawknife unless you've got a shaving horse.
Can be done with an normal vice but shaving horse better and more fun!

Latest posts

Back