Oak Step Stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterBassett

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time coming but my first hardwood project (or any project for that matter) is done! :D

When I say long time, I started this is October or November of 2009. :oops: There is a post around here somewhere with me asking about preparing sawn boards. Still I'm pretty chuffed with it despite it's long gestation.

It's American Oak and is finished with Osmo Poly X. The wife wants a fire surround next, so expect my next project post around January 2013. :roll:

Any feedback/questions welcome.

DSC_1984_Small.jpg

DSC_1988_Small.jpg

DSC_1991_Small.jpg

DSC_1994_Small.jpg

DSC_1997_Small.jpg

DSC_1998_Small.jpg

DSC_2003_Small.jpg

DSC_2004_Small.jpg

DSC_2005_Small.jpg

DSC_2007_Small.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1984_Small.jpg
    DSC_1984_Small.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_1988_Small.jpg
    DSC_1988_Small.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_2007_Small.jpg
    DSC_2007_Small.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_2005_Small.jpg
    DSC_2005_Small.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_2004_Small.jpg
    DSC_2004_Small.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_2003_Small.jpg
    DSC_2003_Small.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_1998_Small.jpg
    DSC_1998_Small.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_1997_Small.jpg
    DSC_1997_Small.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_1994_Small.jpg
    DSC_1994_Small.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSC_1991_Small.jpg
    DSC_1991_Small.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,758
Looks good and well worth waiting for but i'm sure you will be able to go a bit faster with the next project now that your a pro :D
Dave

Very good especially for your first project.

A fire surround next you say, well here is a picture of one you might want to have a go at.
I was doing some fitting for a lady, and when I saw this, I just had to take a photo!

GrandFirePlace.jpg

Ha brilliant. Unfortunately it is about as big as the whole wall onto which it'd have to fit. Actually, maybe that would work? :lol:

Looks like you've done a nice job on the step stools. I would have used smaller stubbed and wedged tenons rather than the large ones you've shown here, but at the end of the jour, it don't really matter....I think I can see from the pics that you've left the end of the tenons a trifle proud? Nice touch if you have - Rob

This I really like, lovely job and your first project? Are you serious?!! :shock: If so, then absolutely well done, great effort.

I keep seeing this Osmo Poly X finish mentioned in many projects, is there something I am missing here? What is so special about it that everyone is using it?

cheers
Steve

Hi all.

Shultzy : The got the plans from a timelife "Weekend Projects" :roll: book but they appear to also be on the net here. http://www.plansnow.com/stepstol.html They aren't free but the dimensions are there. 16" high x 16-3/4" wide x 14" deep.

Woodbloke : The tenons arn't wedged because there is only one out of the five pairs that could have been. The others are open at the top so arn't suitable. I didn't want to change the plans too much. Yes the tenons are left proud, the plans call for them to be trimmed but I liked them that way.

xy mosian : Ta very much :)

Orcamesh : Actually I have remembered that I made some under bed storage "draws" I guess before I started this. Like these http://woodgears.ca/drawers/under_bed.html Made of pine, but with normal screw on wheels. That's the only furniture I've made though. I've done a couple of bowls on a lathe and I've prepared 10 meters of oak worktop (sanding, oiling etc) before fitting by a pro but that's it.

I used the osmo because others on here have recommeneded it and it says on the tin that is is "Resistant against wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk, water and dirt". Since it's a piece that is intended for feet and we have a child on the way I figured I'd give it as good a chance as possible for the future. ;-) Still fairly expensive stuff though. I personally do like the higher gloss of a few coats of danish oil but it just isn't that hard wearing.

PeterBassett":1x21tngu said:
Hi all.

The tenons arn't wedged because there is only one out of the five pairs that could have been. The others are open at the top so arn't suitable. I didn't want to change the plans too much. Yes the tenons are left proud, the plans call for them to be trimmed but I liked them that way.

I used the osmo because others on here have recommeneded it and it says on the tin that is is "Resistant against wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk, water and dirt". Since it's a piece that is intended for feet and we have a child on the way I figured I'd give it as good a chance as possible for the future. ;-) Still fairly expensive stuff though. I personally do like the higher gloss of a few coats of danish oil but it just isn't that hard wearing.

There's no reason that I can think of for leaving the tenons 'open' at the top and it ought to work quite well, but the accepted method of jointing in a construction like the step stools is a couple of stubb tenons on each of the rails which are then usually wedged. Osmo Poly-X is great stuff, it's as tough as old boots (apt as it's a flooring product) dead easy to apply (two very thin brush applied coats) and looks great. I like the matt version which comes up to a nice dull satin when it's wax polished, but I've been using the satin Fiddes version from Axminster which I don't think is quite as good - Rob

No idea why they are open at the top other than it's easier I suppose. I don't think I quite know what stubb tenons are in this context...

PeterBassett":16aex9qw said:
No idea why they are open at the top other than it's easier I suppose. I don't think I quite know what stubb tenons are in this context...

This is a little stool I made last year with three stubb tenons for the shelf:

finishedstool4small.jpg

and wedges to expand the joint. Left proud and rounded over - Rob

I was taught to use a haunched tennon for the ends. it is stronger and helps prevent twisting.
Haunchedtennon.jpg

Orcamesh : Actually I have remembered that I made some under bed storage "draws" I guess before I started this. Like these http://woodgears.ca/drawers/under_bed.html Made of pine, but with normal screw on wheels. That's the only furniture I've made though. I've done a couple of bowls on a lathe and I've prepared 10 meters of oak worktop (sanding, oiling etc) before fitting by a pro but that's it.

I used the osmo because others on here have recommeneded it and it says on the tin that is is "Resistant against wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk, water and dirt". Since it's a piece that is intended for feet and we have a child on the way I figured I'd give it as good a chance as possible for the future. Still fairly expensive stuff though. I personally do like the higher gloss of a few coats of danish oil but it just isn't that hard wearing.

Thanks Peter. I take my hat off to you Sir, it is a fantastic effort given that it is more or less your first project! 8)

As for the Osmo stuff, yeah, I've seen it mentioned in lots of threads but never knew why it was so popular, but now you have listed it's features, it does sound good. I've sneaked at the price and that seems dear, ouch! I have been trying to apply lacquers for years with a brush (for hard wearing items), but it is a pain in the pyloric sphincter and something which should be sprayed (but I have no room for a spray booth!). So maybe Osmo is the new answer! :shock: Thanks!

cheers
Steve

Back