oak goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Will here is a bit of the oak I bought from Mike (I am not going to spin wood) Garnham.
3538978958_b0726702f0.jpg

In the simplified Georgian style as posted by Borighy a little while ago,
I have lost this one all ready as it is off with the LOML as a present for someone she works with. :D

Sharp detail and good finish on that Dave, it looks quite close grained for Oak.

dave, i like that a lot. its nice and chunky with nice clean lines as been said. well done.

very nice dave

by the way ironically a chunk of my wood from mr " I am not a turner" Garnham is fated to become the UKW turner of the year trophy.

Hi Steve,

I sanded to 400g, a coat of sanding sealer, cut back with 400g and then woodwax22.
I rub it on with a rag turning the piece by hand and then after a few minutes buff with clean rag on the slowest speed, I got a satin finish not a high shine.

Hi Dave,
Nice sharp goblet but from the photograph colour and grain of the wood I would have sworn it was mahogany and agree with what Chas said that it looks very close grained for oak.
Never the less a very nice piece,
Regards,
Ian

Turn It In":1w8fqls1 said:
Nice sharp goblet but from the photograph colour and grain of the wood I would have sworn it was mahogany and agree with what Chas said that it looks very close grained for oak.

Well it definitely is oak, close grained, grown in Essex oak, don't find much mahogany growing in Essex. :roll: :wink:

Jenx":y9wrzni4 said:
Its a cracker, and the recipient will surely be delighted to have it 8) 8)
It was well received, I have another piece of oak on the lathe, I am trying to make a more ornate one this time. :shock:

DaveL":1ii2vots said:
I am trying to make a more ornate one this time. :shock:
Google image goblet, chalice, adding georgian, edwardian etc. with each one like this.
Amazing at the diffeent shapes and styles.

Remember that the foot shouls always be close to 2/3rds the max dia. of the bowl to look in proportion. What happens in between is up to you.

Perte

Latest posts

Back