Oak and Black Walnut 6 Draw Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BespOak

Reaction score
What do people think of my latest peice?
Charecter Oak and Black Walnut 6 Draw Chest.

Drawers04.jpg

Drawers03.jpg

Drawers01.jpg

Nice, good retro undertones. I think you could have chosen better runners though.

I agree, love the slightly retro feel to the pulls, and the Walnut trim, but my first thought on seeing the runners was that I would have gone for under drawer hidden runners.

Lovely woodwork though.

Cheers

Mark

Splendiferous. I like the contrasting pulls & edging.
Good choice of matching lining paper.
I would be proud of that, as no doubt you are

Overall I think it's has appeal, I'm not sure if the vertical walnut pieces are needed though, being that they are only half the oak leg thickness it looks like you skimped on the walnut. But as I said it's omho.

Very nice cabinet with some lovely wood.

Personally I dislike drawer runners and feel they 'cheapen' the piece a little and so would have preferred to see dust frames and fitted drawers

I really like this too, very nice. I agree with the comment about the runners though. They are really good quality though and I use them all the time. If you like using them then may be next time you'd consider mounting them underneath, screwing them to the drawer bottom. This makes them invisible and gives the traditional look of no runners at all. Mounting them this way is in the instructions (which only come with some brands) but it says if mounted this way that the weight capacity is halved. Not a problem for domestic furniture I would have thought. 100lbs down to 50 should still be fine. I mount them underneath for furniture in the home and on the side for the workshop.

Tony":1j29gugp said:
would have preferred to see dust frames and fitted drawers

What are dust frames and what do fitted draws look like (I'm assuming that fitted draws are not cinched to enhance the figures of the person wearing them...)?

Thanks

Miles

Is the top solid oak? If it is I would be a little concerned about movement in the top and the potential to blow the mitred corners.

Jon

I like it a lot although, personally, I would've tried to save some wider boards with "more character" (like the drawer fronts) for the top. Then again, it depends on whether or not you intend to dump things on top or, it may just be the camera angle! :)

Is that American walnut?

I do like this design very much, I think black walnut and oak go very well together, my only critisisms are that I would have tried to match the boards more and put a little more effort in the finnishing (one area that I should try and improve a little more)

Very nice.

However, I hope that the top is veneered MDF lipped with walnut. If it's solid oak then there will definitely be problems with movement on the mitres.

I disagree totally with Tony about drawer runners. Without any doubt Blumotion type concealed drawer runners are a better and more elegant solution than traditional methods. These ones however, are horrible and should not be seen other than on a filing cabinet or computer keyboard tray.

Whole thing needs another couple of coats of lacquer IMO

Cheers
Brad

I've made the point before but i'll say it again as it annoys me so much.
This piece of furniture doesn't deserve all these niggly critisizms, such as:
not enough lacquer (how you can tell that from a picture I can't, you have no idea whether its 5%, 10%, 20% sheen finish)
drawer runners are wrong
boards aren't wide enough
didn't need vertical pieces
etc etc

and yet someone posts a picture of a home made orange box construction for the living room coffee table (just an example, not real life) and it receives comments like bravo, wonderful etc etc

Guys all i'm asking for is consistancy.

and I know the replies are going to be along the lines of level of skill, more critizizm etc etc I think it should be a level playing field for all.

Doctor, what you have to remember is that the work displayed on this forum is so good that all we can do is "nit-pick". And after all it is just our opinions as is yours.

Doctor":19b3dew2 said:
I've made the point before but i'll say it again as it annoys me so much.
This piece of furniture doesn't deserve all these niggly critisizms, such as:
not enough lacquer (how you can tell that from a picture I can't, you have no idea whether its 5%, 10%, 20% sheen finish)
drawer runners are wrong
boards aren't wide enough
didn't need vertical pieces
etc etc

and yet someone posts a picture of a home made orange box construction for the living room coffee table (just an example, not real life) and it receives comments like bravo, wonderful etc etc

Guys all i'm asking for is consistancy.

and I know the replies are going to be along the lines of level of skill, more critizizm etc etc I think it should be a level playing field for all.
Take a chill pill Doc, people have opinions, what does the poster expect, 100% praise, I know that I would prefer others to tell me if things were not right so I could improve. :?

Doc, I may have been guilty of over-critical comments simply because I made the assumption from the OP's user-name and location that he was a returning 'old friend' renowed for his own slightly bumptious and arrogant comments.

I fear that I may have been wrong and this is actually the work of a genuine newbie hobbyist from Birmingham.

In which case, welcome to the forum, and keep up the good work.

If it is however who I think it might be then my criticisms stand.

Brad

motownmartin":3ds9cizr said:
Take a chill pill Doc, people have opinions, what does the poster expect, 100% praise, I know that I would prefer others to tell me if things were not right so I could improve. :?

Exactly but do it accross the board, thats all I ask. Some of the stuff posted is quite poor and gets no crititism at all, yet good stuff gets nit picked.
I would love to pick out examples but have learnt my lessons from past posts.

Doctor":3uo565lk said:
motownmartin":3uo565lk said:

Exactly but do it accross the board, thats all I ask. Some of the stuff posted is quite poor and gets no crititism at all, yet good stuff gets nit picked.
I would love to pick out examples but have learnt my lessons from past posts.
Go on, be a devil and back up your statement :wink:

Can I suggest that some of the projects posted are at the limit of some peoples ability and that it would not be beneficial to be critical but words of encouragement are needed to prevent total disillusionment.

Other pieces are really very good and the posters are very talented with a high degree of skill. It is these projects that can sometimes be subjected to what may appear harsh criticism, but it is also those posters that have the necessary skill and commitment to raise their game to the next level.

To critisise everyone equally would not be fair on those who have reached their potential.

Mick

Back