North West Bash - Sat March 7th

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bash's are the dog's danglies :lol: It's a great way to meet other forum members but if it's to go well it's important (IMHO) to have two or three structured events throughout the day or it become's a bit of a tool gloatage event. So for example, there could be something on sharpening or honing, something on veneering (if Dan's got the facilities in his 'shop) trimming off lipping (Dan's router jig) etc etc. If forum members go with one or two fixed ideas that they'd like to find out more about it all helps to push the day along - Rob

Okay, I'm in for March 7th if that's all right. I'm afraid I won't have anything to show off though.

What about a demo on how to use Sketchup?

regards

Brian

brianhabby":334ar8r5 said:
Okay, I'm in for March 7th if that's all right. I'm afraid I won't have anything to show off though.

What about a demo on how to use Sketchup?

regards

Brian

That is an excellent idea!

I can't get to grips with Sketchup at all I but can see that it would be a fantastic tool for my business.

If anyone has 'mastered' it and wants to come along and show us the ropes please let me know. I can arrange for a decent computer set up to be available in the back room of the coffee shop next door.

Apart from that, it appears that we have a couple of hand tool fanatics in Karl and Mark coming. I would love to have a proper look and play with some of these top end toys I hear so much about, so feel free to bring as many as you want.

I've got a Tormek water wheel thingy. Perhaps one of you can show me how to use it! Does it sharpen planer/ thicknesser blades? Spindle cutters?

I can show everyone a few tricks from a pro's point of view - that is, how to do things to an acceptable standard very, very quickly. Needless to say, this does not involve many processes involving tools without a tail!

I can also do a bit of a spraying demo and then let everyone have a go!

Any other ideas?

Dan

Sketchup help would be great. It's got me very confused. I'm looking forward to this.

Dan - I'd be happy to bring a few of the shiny planes down. I would also be happy to do a sharpening "demo" if it'd be of interest to any?

Cheers

Karl

Sketchup demo sounds great, I had a play last year but after going through the first 20 or so tutorials (which are very good BTW) I ran out of time when baby came so need to start again.

Spraying would be great as I have a few project ideas and spraying is part of one, but having never done it a demo and practice would be perfect.

I am happy with my sharpening technique (Charlesworthonian method gets be fantastic results) but always good to see others tips and tricks.

Picking Dan's brains on the pro's view would be great too. I always back myself to be able to do anything but the speed I do it is where I fall down, so any tips on fast and easy is great by me.

I will bring along:

LV LA Bock
LV LA Jack
LV BU Smoother
LV Scraper
LV Small Plough
LV Medium Shoulder
LV SS Edger
Wheel guage
LV Dovetail (new style)
Blue Spruce paring chisels x6 & skew chisels x2
Anything else shiny that I can find.

You are welcome to play with any and all of these at your leisure.

Looking forward to it already. :D

Cheers

Mark[/i]

ok due to some incredible luck, I'm able to attend!

I don't mind giving a very basic demo of SU. I'm no expert but I can work my way around the basic controls. If there's no one more skilled, I'll put together some sort of demo. Depending on how many people turn up, might be hard to see the screen? :-k

Great idea about spraying Dan, I'd really like to see that.

Not sure what I can bring for show and tell, I'll have to have a think. Spokeshaves?

Doctor":15agagra said:
Dan Tovey":15agagra said:
I can show everyone a few tricks from a pro's point of view
Dan

like tossing the block plane into the tool box from 20 yards whilst hoovering up. :lol:

:lol:

This pro has got it down to a fine art...

... I always make a point of saying to the customer 'I'll just go to the van and get my vacuum'.

99% of women reply 'Oh, don't worry about that, love. I'll do it later.' and even 'Do you want another cup of tea while I get my cheque book?

Result!

Perhaps I could give a lecture on other trade secrets such as;

When making a delivery to a cul de sac always turn the van round first...

:lol:

Dan

PS What's a block plane?

Thanks Dan, are you guys still pointing to the moon in confusion up there? Do you have roads yet? :lol:

I'll be on the train so my back will be fine, plenty of chances to get up and move around, etc.

I'll confirm nearer the time, but looking forward to it! ;)

7th march suits me me dan (the wife says the 14th feb is my 65 b/day and the kids want to take me out, i hope its not to a oap home :roll: :cry: frank

wizer":9z9nkllo said:
Thanks Dan, are you guys still pointing to the moon in confusion up there? Do you have roads yet? :lol:

Make sure you've got plenty of Duck tape Dan - it may be a while before he's goin home if he carries on with that lip up 'ere :lol:

Cheers

Karl

karl said:
The 14th! Are u mad???

The wife would have me by the plums if I went out on the big V day.

:(

Cheers

Karl[/quote
Is she not more likely to have you if you don't go . ??? OUCH!!!!

Looking like a good day already and still a full month to go :)

I can bring along a projector & screen so everyone can see the Sketchup demo (that's if there's room to set it up, it sound like you are gathering quite a crowd, Dan)

Really looking forward to it

regards

Brian

wizer":3vt0gmgn said:

We're in the middle of that blank spot on your map that says 'There be Dragons'!

Cheeky sod!

How did you do your back in, anyway? Fall off your stilts?

:wink:

Dan

hops-pickers-on-stilts.jpg

Back