Need a kitchen high chair repaired- Suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwillett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Happy new year to all. I love reading (most) of the threads here but rarely contribute as I’m really not very good with wood 😀

We have two high chairs we brought from John Lewis 20 years ago. They are great and sit next to our kitchen island.

One of them has started to creak and we can see the joints moving. My working assumption is that somebody should disassemble the chair, reglue it and assemble it again.

Before anybody suggests that I do this, I’m not going to. Mission Control loves the chairs and me cocking it up is not an option.

So does anyone have any recommendations for a decent furniture restorer in North West Yorkshire. We’re near Kirkby Lonsdale but I’m happy to drive up to two hours to get this done properly.

Many thanks

Rob

Hi. Happy new year to all. I love reading (most) of the threads here but rarely contribute as I’m really not very good with wood 😀

We have two high chairs we brought from John Lewis 20 years ago. They are great and sit next to our kitchen island.

One of them has started to creak and we can see the joints moving. My working assumption is that somebody should disassemble the chair, reglue it and assemble it again.

Before anybody suggests that I do this, I’m not going to. Mission Control loves the chairs and me cocking it up is not an option.

So does anyone have any recommendations for a decent furniture restorer in North West Yorkshire. We’re near Kirkby Lonsdale but I’m happy to drive up to two hours to get this done properly.

Many thanks

Rob
Do you want to keep them for sentimental value or practical reasons. If it is for the sentimental reasons then it will obviously be worth the £100 or so that it may cost to knock apart and re-glue the pair of them.
If for practical reasons I'd be looking at IKEA. For £15 they do a very good chair. ANTILOP Highchair with safety belt, white/silver-colour - IKEA
As new grandparents we had started to look and soon got directed to this one by friends and there offspring who had become parents. Some had tried very expensive alternatives but soon changed direction and most now use these.

Colin

Do you want to keep them for sentimental value or practical reasons. If it is for the sentimental reasons then it will obviously be worth the £100 or so that it may cost to knock apart and re-glue the pair of them.
If for practical reasons I'd be looking at IKEA. For £15 they do a very good chair. ANTILOP Highchair with safety belt, white/silver-colour - IKEA
As new grandparents we had started to look and soon got directed to this one by friends and there offspring who had become parents. Some had tried very expensive alternatives but soon changed direction and most now use these.

Colin
My guess is that the OP is talking about grown-up chairs. I doubt you'd keep two next to the island for twenty years otherwise, unless you had a long run of children/grandchildren.

When I say high chair , a picture would have been useful as it’s not a high chair for a child. Whoops.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I'd use PVA, it was likely to be glued with something like cascamite or similar glue, which eventually dries out, actually there's a lot to be said with using hot hide glue, it will last 100+ years if done properly and is also reversible.

Many thanks

Rob

Many thanks

Rob
Why not try a Repair Café near you? They'll do it for nothing. There are Repair Cafés on the RC International website at Thirsk, Hovingham, Sarborough, Stokesley and Castleton. And there will probably be more, that are not on RCI. Find out when the next one is happening, and let them know beforehand, so they can try to match volunteer to the repair.

It appears that Dalesbred may have relocated to Settle but still not far for you to travel. If Dalesbred don't do restorations there are a number of furniture restorers around Lancaster or Grange. PM me if you have trouble.

Why not try a Repair Café near you? They'll do it for nothing. There are Repair Cafés on the RC International website at Thirsk, Hovingham, Sarborough, Stokesley and Castleton. And there will probably be more, that are not on RCI. Find out when the next one is happening, and let them know beforehand, so they can try to match volunteer to the repair.
What a marvelous service "Repair Cafés" I have never heard of them but after a little research I am interested BUT do I have the time to try and set one up in the Whitehaven, Egremont, Cleator Moor general area of West Cumbria.

Well, there's ambitious! I was thinking of your taking the high chair to one, to get it fixed by one of the volunteers there.

If you really want to start one, I'd suggest getting in contact with Repair Café International in Holland. They have 'Starter Pack' instructions that help you through the stages of setting-up. Also, if you DO start one, they'll send you a very nifty kit of small electrical/electronics tools that they've had made up especially to help people get into chinese electrickery, which has security fasteners designed to keep repairers OUT.

Organising an RC can be as much - or as little - work as you choose. I run mine in my garden [started during Covid, when all the others indoors had closed down] with no bureaucracy/record-keeping/Elf-n-Safety whatever. Others include booking-in, triageing, queueing systems, individual repair forms, PAT testing [not required legally], qualificatiion requirements, separation distances, insurance, disclaimers, CO2 reporting etc., etc.

But at its basic, all you need is a space [inside or outside] with electricity, tables and chairs, tea/coffee and buns, and a couple of volunteers. The rest is mostly goodwill. Oh– and a bucket or box for voluntary donations; because people will want to give something.

You'll find the demand grows rapidly, after the first - veru shaky - couple of days. It'll be for:

• Small electricals

• Sharpening
• Furniture & woodwork
• Bikes
• Sewing/cloting repairs [also repairing sewing machines]
• Garden tools
• Clocks
• Bookbinding
• China/glass/porcelain

GOOD LUCK !!

Thanks for all the information. I do free IT clinics in my village but my spare time is very, very limited, so repair cafes are a step too far.

I've spoken to Simon at Dalesbred and dropped the stool off. They are having a look at it. It appears to be glued very strongly for most of the joints apart from the foot bar. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks

Rob

Thanks for all the information. I do free IT clinics in my village but my spare time is very, very limited, so repair cafes are a step too far.

I've spoken to Simon at Dalesbred and dropped the stool off. They are having a look at it. It appears to be glued very strongly for most of the joints apart from the foot bar. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks

Rob
I stopped being the IT guy (and mechanic) for everyone I knew (well 99% of them) - folk just started expecting it and\or behaving like they were entitled to it. Life is so much more peaceful. :)

Hope you get the chair sorted.

Back