Non-Destructive Ways to Remove Rust?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having seen the pictures, I wouldn't bother trying to derust it. It's fine as it is - just use it. That'll put a sort of 'working polish' on it over a few months, and won't cause any damage at all!

Get cracking with 40 grit paper and work your way down to 2000 grit and you too can have a body like mine!

Before and after.
a.jpg

b.jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 825
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 825
AndyT":1oliwe8u said:
It's not what I'd call rusty!
An oily rag would be enough. Or a fine Garryflex block (brown) .
What is that black stuff on the sole then? They feel quite rough. Light pitting maybe?
Still, I do want to get rid of the spots on the upside of the sole (whatever that's called). I just want it to look nice.

Sam

So I did the vinegar trick overnight.
Now 1/3 of the plane blade turned unusually dark, only on the back side. This bit is also the bit that I had lapped. Same thing happened to the bevel.
I figure this definitely has something to do with sharpening. When the plane first arrived I used a coarse EZE-Lap followed by #1000 and #3000 waterstones to sharpen the blade. Can someone explain why this might have happened? Should I be worried about it?
Will upload pics tomorrow.
Sam

Hi

Sounds like you have removed a protective film when you lapped, (this may also not be present on the bevel). The finish could be as transient as a thin layer of oil to something more permanant such as laquer. In either case removing it and exposing the parent metal will allow the acetic acid in the vinegar to react with it in these areas, the results of which are probably the black compound you are seeing.

Regards Mick

I use Oxalic acid crystals diluted in water. Soak the item for 24 hrs . Will come out matt silver but a light rub will bring it back.

Did you find a replacement iron Sam ? I have an old Stanley 2 3/8 iron of unknown vintage which is going spare if you would like it. PM me if you do.

PuFFaH":3cmqohz3 said:
I use Oxalic acid crystals diluted in water. Soak the item for 24 hrs . Will come out matt silver but a light rub will bring it back.

+1 for Oxalic acid crystals, and they last for ages diluted, just make sure after dipping, you rinse in water, then pop it into a solution of soda crystals to neutralize the acid, then rinse again and after give it a coat of something to prevent flash rusting.

I have restored loads of old planes....dont worry about removing metal, to get that nice and polished, you will have to remove some, and its perfectly possible to do this without altering the flatness of the sole. I use a sheet of glass with wet and dry paper stuck to, start at 120 grit and work your way down, move the plane back and forth in the plane of the soles longest dimension. It wont take too long and you should be able to remove most of the dings and other unatractive marks. I have done this with all my restored planes and they all function perfectly and look really nice. Pits are traps for muck and moisture and should be removed where possible.

Cheers, Mark

Back