Non-Destructive Ways to Remove Rust?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a pre-WWII, low-knob, type 10, perfectly flat-soled, lateral adjustment-with-spinny disk Stanley No.7.
(Okay I'll stop showing off...)
Most screws are running just fine. The only real problem it has is surface rust. I don't want to use abrasives because I can't find a flat surface as big as the plane and I don't want to ruin the perfectly flat sole that the previous owner has lapped (god bless him for saving me from doing it :D ). Any ways I can remove the rust without abrading metal off of the sole? I want to avoid using things like acid baths or Corro Dip as I don't want to handle something so messy, plus the stuff is expensive. Should I try WD-40? Will it harm the paint/japanning? Do I rub the plane with WD-40? If so what substrate?

BTW, the previous owner replaced the iron with a 2 1/4" one :? (why would he prefer a narrower one for a jointer). Does anyone still make thin irons? I tried one of those thick ones on my No. 04 and the adjuster often slips out...

Pics:
73w4.jpg

30qu.jpg

of07.jpg

I would say this is the worst part of the sole:
nnmg.jpg

Sam

I've always used bilt hamber deox c.
It only removes rust, and requires almost no elbow grease.
I posted an example in the how pitted is too pitted thread.

If it's just very light surface rust, a rub with an oily rag will probably take it off. If that fails, ordinary kitchen vinegar is pretty good at rust removal. If the rust isn't deep (and it sounds like it's just a surface film) soak for ten minutes or so, then flush under running water and rub with a pan scourer. Dry off immediately and wipe over with camellia oil or similar to prevent flash rusting. If the rust is deeper, soak for longer.

It sounds like the previous owner fitted a 2 1/4" iron because it's what he had. New (thin) 2 3/8" irons are readily available from any good tool dealer selling Stanley and Record planes - Axminster do them if you're stuck.

Good sharp chisel with bevel up.
Pull back over rust first to make sure there is nothing on the chisel edge to scratch the surface when you push forwards.
This is a tried and tested method I have used for years but if you have something of less importance you may be as well trying it out on that first.

Andy

Thanks for the vinegar tip. I just happen to have a whole bottle that outlived its shelf life. :D
---------------------------------------
More on that low knob.
Why's there a hype about it? I tried it and... Hated it...

Sam

J_SAMa":2k1cr9r5 said:
Thanks for the vinegar tip. I just happen to have a whole bottle that outlived its shelf life. :D
---------------------------------------
More on that low knob.
Why's there a hype about it? I tried it and... Hated it...

Sam

i prefer the low knob, looks better, feel better and you know its rose wood, not a fan of the big beach balloon knobs.
thank being said... (opinion)

with a lot of wood work its whats best for you and works. fashions come and go.

TT

Hi

Technically all polishes suitable for steel will remove metal, thats how they polish - ditto for rubbing the rust with a lubricant, the oil / rust mix adhering to the rag will abrade the metal. Depending on how coarse the polishing medium is will detemine the rate of metal removal.

Acid will remove iron / steel base metal, again dependant on strength and exposure time.

The only method I know of that does not remove base metal and is easily carried out at home is electrolysis - it has been discussed many times before on here and there is a wealth of info on the web. It will however remove paint if left running long enough.

Regards Mick

Spindle":380c3ewr said:
Hi

Technically all polishes suitable for steel will remove metal, thats how they polish - ditto for rubbing the rust with a lubricant, the oil / rust mix adhering to the rag will abrade the metal. Depending on how coarse the polishing medium is will detemine the rate of metal removal.

Acid will remove iron / steel base metal, again dependant on strength and exposure time.

The only method I know of that does not remove base metal and is easily carried out at home is electrolysis - it has been discussed many times before on here and there is a wealth of info on the web. It will however remove paint if left running long enough.

Regards Mick

What kind of power source should I use and how much power?

Sam

An old car battery charger (without fancy electronic controls) is ideal - but if you think the other methods suggested are too messy, I don't think you will like electrolysis.

Tried the vinegar trick today. Did not do much. Maybe because the vinegar was quite diluted. Gonna have to find stronger stuff :x
Does an old toothbrush lubricated with vinegar or white spirit abrade much metal off?
Sam

I've always found wire wool and oil does the job well. fine grades don't remove metal to any noticeable extent and are much gentler than abrasive papers.

I would use what the British Museum uses on its tool exhibits...Renaissance Wax. If you get a good quality cotton rag and rub it into the steel whilst watching Ben Hur...by the end of the film it will be beautiful.

Being a microcrystalline wax, it will then protect and lubricate the metal. Use it on the sides too. It doesn't remove patina:

DSC_0679.JPG

I love this stuff but I would use Corro-Dip first...it truly is worth the cost of a little bottle but we've been over this a number of times and I'm not going to start all the "cost of postage" issue all over again.

Jimi

J_SAMa":19y699nx said:
Tried the vinegar trick today. Did not do much. Maybe because the vinegar was quite diluted. Gonna have to find stronger stuff :x
Does an old toothbrush lubricated with vinegar or white spirit abrade much metal off?
Sam

Try soaking for longer. I've left plane blades in vinegar overnight before now, which did shift thickish rust without any apparent damage to metal.

The old toothbrush won't do any damage, and may even do a bit of good.

It's not what I'd call rusty!
An oily rag would be enough. Or a fine Garryflex block (brown) .

J_SAMa":2xr4xkpk said:
Sam

I'm on the same trail Sam. I've bought 3 bottles of distilled white vinegar which a guy on You Tube recommended. I've not tried it yet but his results were impressive after a 24 hour soak and a blitz with a powered wire brush. I'm currently trying electrolysis.

Back