Nick Gibbs accident and recovery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really good to hear from you Nick; so pleased you are back on the scene, take it easy - we will all be here when you are back to full strength. The being treated in a Golf club sounds like a nightmare to me!
I will pass on the good news to Help 4 Heroes who you have been so supportive of.

Cheers Peter

Great news Nick, Take your time and get fully fit your health is the most important thing in life.
Jim

Great to hear of your progress Nick - how about a limited edition of your hand-made helicopters in air ambulance livery?

Take care.

Nick Gibbs":30uiw8hq said:
I am very much better, and am now in the Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit at the old Frenchay centre, which has a remarkable collection of staff and patients, including a wonderful young woodworker called Ross who was badly damaged in a van crash a few months ago.

Good to hear you're on the mend. As others have said, take it easy for a while. It can take a while to come back fully from these things.

Hi Nick - just wishing you all the best after what sounds like a very serious injury, and glad to see you've typed a message back on here - take it easy mate and my very best wishes for a full recovery over time & take the time too to get yourself better - that's the important thing

My dad had a brain injury a few years back, and your description about escaping made me laugh as my dad tried the same thing - he was in a 4 day coma and had 1/3rd of his skull removed to relieve pressure on the brain - to this day he is still convinced that my missus and her sister were nurses whilst he was in a prison - even after 4 years he knows it didn't happen but he says the memory is there - the brain is an amazing piece of machinery

Best wishes
Nick
Jet

Seconding or thirding what Paul and Paul said. The mag will keep - think of it as a good wine: it will mature with gestation(?) and will be the better for it. Your health is more important.

I write this having read and rejected every other one on the street (save the odd F&C) and not missed one issue....dagnabit, I MUST fill in that subs. form instead of trundling downs to the shops...

Sam

Great news Nick that you are on the mend.
As everyone says business can wait you keeping getting better and have plenty of rest that's what you need to concentrate on now.

All My friends best.
Tim

Have just been complaining by email about non arrival of August issue, then came across this post. Feel a bit of a *** now. Hope recovery goes well, I will await your return patiently. Good luck

Top man Nick, take your time getting well. We'll all be waiting for you (and your wonderful magazine) when your good and ready to start again!

So sorry I haven't replied earlier to thank everyone for their support (and if I have replied, apologies for my poor memory).

I have been working on the D&M Show Guide and the next issue of British Woodworking, which needs to be out by the end of September so that we can insider the Show Guide. I will be having a stand at D&M's Tool Show at Kempton in October.

It is proving to be a big challenge getting back into magazines, partly through my exhaustion and partly through reduced funds as we have missed a few issues. Advertisers and subscribers (and readers generally) have been amazingly supportive, for which I am very grateful, though I haven't informed digital readers well enough yet. One big problem however is that GMC have refused to take the Show Guide which was supposed to be inserted with a couple of their magazines, particularly Furniture & Cabinetmaking. They have said British Woodworking and I being mentioned in the guide a couple of times (I kept the mentions to a minimum) mean they will not put the Guide in with their magazines. As you can imagine this has been rather stressful and a shock. Woodworker and Good Woodworking have been more supportive. We are now having to pay for magazines we paid to send to GMC's printers to be sent to other printers. That hurts.

Thanks to everyone else, and hopefully I'll see woodworkers at Kempton where we will have the latest issue with a full report on my accident and the consequences!!

All the best

Nick

KevM":75necxj5 said:
Great to hear of your progress Nick - how about a limited edition of your hand-made helicopters in air ambulance livery?

I've only just noticed this, Kev, and didn't have time to get it done for Westonbirt. Fantastic idea. I've only just spoken to the police accident report folk today, who have been amazing, and it turns out that I wasn't transferred by helicopter, just good old road ambulance. They weren't, however, sure if I'd make it to hospital alive or dead. That makes you think.

All the best

Nick

Just in case anyone is wondering, the first issue of Living Woods since my injury has just been sent out, and thanks for so much support.

As readers will know, we published a shortened version of British Woodworking in October 2014, to coincide with D&M's Tool Show, and to say thanks for all the support after my accident. But I have certainly not been fit enough to produce a monthly magazine. So my first real trial to see if I can get our magazines and the company going again has been to produce Living Woods. I will be doing two more issues of that to see how well my brain copes, and then devise a strategy for the future.

We are likely to contact BW subscribers with an offer of a refund or an alternative as soon as possible. We were going to do that earlier in the year, but then very nearly sold the magazine, and postponed that decision. Who knows what will happen next!!

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Nick

Nick,

I don't want you wasting your time and money offering a refund.
I will e mail you soon to firmly refuse any repayment.
Just concentrate on getting better

Back