Nick Gibbs accident and recovery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":1y7izlu7 said:
...he is awake, lucid and impatient to get out and back doing stuff. He didn't stop talking all the time I was there....

Yup, sounds like the Nick I know :wink: . Thanks Steve, for keeping us all in the loop. Any clues how long he's going to be incarcerated or is it too early to say?

Get well soon Nick.

Thanks for the update Steve, good to know that Nick is getting back to his normal self. I think he really is a special guy with his passion for wood and wood magazines.

David

Only just seen this! Read the early part of the thread in horror! Glad to read the later part of the thread. Wishing Nick all the best and a speedy recovery!!

Richard

Nick

wishing you all the best and hope you have a speedy and comfortable recovery.

Have meet you on a few occasions and you are a true gentleman who had helped me loads in the past.

All my best.

Tim

WOW...I missed this earlier and I am rather glad I did given the early prognosis! :shock:

Steve...huge thanks for going to check on Nick personally...and also a big sigh of relief on the latest news...which was a LOT better than the earlier press reports.

Wishing you a very speedy and complete recovery Nick...

Jimi

Shocked to hear of the accident and thrilled that he is on the road to recovery.

Really enjoyed our conversation at the Bodgers Ball Nick

Andy, from Norfolk

So sorry to hear of Nicks awful accident - I look forward to good news of his recovery in the next issue of British Woodworking whenever it is published. Please add my best wishes to the many I am sure he has received.

Wow: what amazing feedback. Thanks everyone, and particularly Steve M for visiting.

I am very much better, and am now in the Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit at the old Frenchay centre, which has a remarkable collection of staff and patients, including a wonderful young woodworker called Ross who was badly damaged in a van crash a few months ago.

I believe my head was hit by the wing mirror of a modern Land Rover or similar on 24th June, and taken by helicopter (I think) to Swindon Great Western Hospital. They were unable to work on the fractured skull, but put me into a coma and sent me Southmead in Bristol (though I didn't know that). I was operated on once (or maybe more), and asleep for 12 days I'm told. I had some marvellous dreams, believing at one stage I was being treated in a golf club and at another in a woodworking shop!!!!

Two or three weeks at Southmead were very difficult (though aided by some lovely people) because I couldn't find out when and how I was to be released, and on a few occasions I tried to escape. Things are much better now, and I will write about some of the special people who have helped me, and also the concept of aiding brain injuries. It has been an amazing experience. I have been home for one quick weekend, and with a bit of luck will be released permanently in two more weeks.

We are not going to publish an issue of British Woodworking in July (the August issue), and hope to have the next one (BW47) out near the end of August, with the D&M Tool Show Shop Guide. The next issue of Living Woods is likely to be out in September as I just don't have the energy to do two issues at the same time, though I must thank my assistants Sarah and Amy for their very hard work when I've been away from the office, and our annual Complete Guide to Woodfuel should be out soon.

Many thanks to everyone who has continued their subscription and been so supportive, and for some of the presents I've been sent.

All the best

Nick

Paul Chapman":ro5srayz said:
Great to hear that you are on the mend, Nick. Take it easy and don't be too eager to rush back to work.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Seconded - your health needs must come way ahead of getting out a coupla' magazines.

BugBear

Baldhead":1ljmazom said:
Pleased to hear your 'fixed' Nick, I can only echo what's been said by Paul and Bugbear, take your time and don't rush things.

Baldhead

+ 1, please, please give yourself time to make a proper recovery before starting back to work! All the best.

Back