Newby and need help on workshop plans & tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there,
I'm Brian and eventually I was well enough to try and look at wood working.
I suffered 2 strokes in early 2015, and at the moment I have only 60% movement in my arm and fingers.
it was my dream to plan and make a workshop, not only for woodworking but leather work and metal work.
I'm sorry if you don't understand me sometimes, my damaged brain doesn't function correctly and sometimes simple tasks (for others) seems hard until people explain them to me...that's my excuse :mrgreen:
Anyways enough of my woffle.
I have a small bedroom that I use for my leatherwork, and I would love to plan a full workshop- or work shed built in the garden.
the whole 'Power tools' and all the desks, shelves etc are sometimes baffle me (probably info overload :p)
my list for power tools are as follows:
Circular saw bench
Mitre saw
circular sander bench
Band saw
Cordless drills X 2
Mini bench planer
Jig saw
Router bench
Compressor and nail gun
B & D workmate
titan superjaws.

I think the first purchase should be a curcular saw bench! you could disagree.
Could you help me identify the tools you would buy first and why, i.e. number them 1- to what ever.
Any essential items you can add to make my life easier please cut and paste if you don't mind.
hopefully ive posted in the right section, and not confused anybody :oops:
I appreciate any help, advice, tips etc
ATB
Brian

welcome to the forum!

The first question for me is what you plan to make. this is sometimes a difficult question, because you may well say "all sorts", but it will help members to make sensible recommendations. How much space will you have is another key consideration.

Brian welcome. I am sure you will be fine, most of us have no excuse for not making ourselves understood! It would help us advise if you told us what sort of things you want to make. We can then suggest the best combination of tools to achieve your aims.

Welcome Brian

I'd go for a decent bandsaw first
It's a versatile machine and fairly safe to use

Keep you eye out for offers on the other things and buy as you need them.
Some of the tools on the list I'd not bother with but then I realised you might struggle with the equivalent hand tool so maybe you are correct.

wow!
great to have so quick responses.
sorry I didn't mention in the first time.
Firstly I would like to actually make the benches, some tall, some small and learn from there.
Eventually one the benches are made, using a plan of a workshop building the various shelves, racks etc for clamps, screw drivers and all the loose items around the walls and benches.
Primarily I will taking most my time trying to adapt the certain tools (if I can) to use single handed.
I have spent about 3 months adapting my leather making tools and using various clamps, and the process needed to make an item.
I hope it make sense? I started with could make this item using one hand...and slowly worked different ways to do each stage.
Determination and not given up and realising the end result is not possible.
As I said firstly I would like set up my workshop, and then look if I could make items just as a hobby and learn about working with wood.
Unfortunately my father leant the hard way working with wood.
He did not use dust mask, proper ventilation etc and died with lung cancer due to all the dust using his wood lathe.
That all said n done I've always had a fascination with any art, making something yourself is so satisfying.

Some of the tools on the list I'd not bother with but then I realised you might struggle with the equivalent hand tool so maybe you are correct.

that is a good idea, but making a straight cut evenly I was thinkin of the saw bench.

my space is at the moment is not decided (until I get work shed) but if it was this bedroom it is 8' x 6'.
Thanks again,
ATB
Bri

Hi Brian,

Considering your need for one handed working i'd recommend a track saw for sizing up sheet materials.
The beauty of a track saw is that you can position the track in place with one hand, apply the clamps with one hand, check everything is still in place and adjust if necessary. Then you only need one hand to run the saw along the sheet.
I think it would probably be more difficult with a table saw to use it safely with one hand unless you put a number of finger boards etc in place to hold the timber tight to fences etc when pushing it through using a push stick with your good hand.
I would suggest getting a small trimmer router as you could use that one handed due to its lightness.
A pillar drill would be really useful as you can set it all up with clamps etc then operate the drill one handed safely.

I expect due to being limited to one hand, you will probably find you just need more clamps than anything else. Most jobs can be done perfectly well one handed providing the workpiece is clamped securely.

Good luck and be safe.

Adam

Adam9453":2ldt0xbc said:
Hi Brian,

Considering your need for one handed working i'd recommend a track saw for sizing up sheet materials.
The beauty of a track saw is that you can position the track in place with one hand, apply the clamps with one hand, check everything is still in place and adjust if necessary. Then you only need one hand to run the saw along the sheet.
I think it would probably be more difficult with a table saw to use it safely with one hand unless you put a number of finger boards etc in place to hold the timber tight to fences etc when pushing it through using a push stick with your good hand.
I would suggest getting a small trimmer router as you could use that one handed due to its lightness.
A pillar drill would be really useful as you can set it all up with clamps etc then operate the drill one handed safely.

I expect due to being limited to one hand, you will probably find you just need more clamps than anything else. Most jobs can be done perfectly well one handed providing the workpiece is clamped securely.

Good luck and be safe.

Adam

Thank you Adam,
one thing hitting (parden the pun) me is the safety with power tools.
But ive learnt I cant get enough clamps lol , they are my savour.
Took an half an hr to understand a track saw....never heard is by that name...told you I was not functioning :mrgreen:
The more think about it the track saw is ideal...
Just need the clamps system though out, and getting a straight cut.
been thing with single handed power tools, like the sanders etc.
TBH you's have defo got me thinking, and i'm enjoying researching.
Cost is not a issue, but I don't want to spent a lot of money on certain tools as ive learnt buying rubbish tools isn't always the best cause of action. but if they do the job, fine.
especially the most used tools I will fork out for them.
tbh im just a hobbyist that starting out with wood working, we all love our toys, but all mine are for metal and leathercraft (ok my drill presses and my vertical grinders are the exception) but you know what I mean.
Right! onto looking at the price of a track saw.
ATB
Bri

You might actually find in your position it is well worth buying the Festool MFT system, table, tracks, clamps etc etc. It will allow you to securely clamp things down and then work on them. As everything works together there will be efficiency and time savings that you might think are not possible in the circumstances.

Forget the mitre saw. A bandsaw or a table saw can do what you will need for a long time to come.

My recommendations would be a track saw, bandsaw, router table, belt sander for big items. Learn those first. With those you can build all your benches and shelves, and even fancy boxes and basic furniture.

Dont skimp on the costs of them. Buying cheap or small means you will have to buy them all again very soon.

The best advice I ever had was to buy the tool (whatever) that you just cant quite afford.

lurker":qtw82noq said:
Welcome Brian

I'd second that. It does a huge amount of tasks and is easy to use and a lot safer than a lot of saws. I will let my children use the bandsaw but not my table saw (well not without a lot of supervision).

I'd say to start with a project and buy what you need for that. Then add to it as you do more.

I bought a whole load of stuff at once and somethings I hardly use (table saw for example) and others I use loads and wish I'd bought bigger or better models - bandsaw being a good example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Brian.
A band saw or a track saw are safer saws to use, however a table saw will likely be more versatile. It will do a lot of what a mitre saw can do.

Track saws are fantastic things but remember that cutting smaller stuff on them is tricky when you're limited to what to clamp to. This is when health and safety might become an issue.

If you are cutting small stuff then bandsaws are definitely the safest option as the blade pushes the wood down to the table rather than away from the blade. As you said making accurate straight cuts with them can be tricky

Hi Brian.
A band saw or a track saw are safer saws to use, however a table saw will likely be more versatile. It will do a lot of what a mitre saw can do.

Track saws are fantastic things but remember that cutting smaller stuff on them is tricky when you're limited to what to clamp to. This is when health and safety might become an issue.

If you are cutting small stuff then bandsaws are definitely the safest option as the blade pushes the wood down to the table rather than away from the blade. As you said making accurate straight cuts with them can be tricky

I was recently in the position you find yourself in.

If theres one thing I could change about the actions I took, it would be that I'd sit back longer and research research research. I did a lot, but it wasn't enough, as a result a lot of my projects have faced delay after delay as I add to my knowledge in order to progress. Sharpening, I found, was a very complicated subject in itself, and I hadn't anticipated that at all.

This forum is an absolute gold mine of information from knowledgeable amateurs and professionals going back years. It's here for you to use and contribute to.

What you're embarking on is a subject that is incredibly deep. When I thought I'd spend most of my time working with wood, I actually spend a lot of it learning about machinery, maintenance and calibration down to quite fine tolerances. It's an endless subject and highly rewarding. The time spent doing that has turned me into someone willing to take on just about any job around the house, whereas previously I'd run a mile. It's worth all the effort long term.

The workshop space you have will likely dictate your options in terms of machinery to an extent, as will budget. For a first powered saw, if you have the space, it would definitely be a quality used bandsaw for me, as others have said. It's so incredibly versatile with the right blade and setup. If you want to build using sheet materials, then a track saw is invaluable.

Starting with hand tools and building your first proper bench with those would give you an experience like no other. It's what I did and I was incredibly proud when I finally got to put it to use. It was way better that I dared hope, considering when I started I didn't know which way up to hold a chisel.

Good luck mate!

Hello Brian. I'd advise against using a table or dimension saw if you have limited mobility as it's an accident waiting to happen using one handed. Have you thought about using a rail saw? I can safely use mine one handed with the rail clamped down.

Hello guys,
I woke about 5am and then my tiny switching onto woodworking lol.
I must say I'm not trying this forum on my mobile...so sorry if I mess things up...new technology eh!
I can truly say that the response is overwhelm and I humbled by your help.
In all the responses and I've got an idea how I should go farward is the whole safety aspect, it never frightened me fore..until now!!
Especially power tools!!!
So as yous said research, research and then do some more..
I've decided (FOR NOW!!) the way ahead is actually make something like a basic box..but using hand tools and loads of clamps of course.
Sure I can buy a jig to cut stright lines or 45degree etc with a tenon saw(is that a name??) or other tools
It would make me so happy and satisfying...
I've got a picture of my first tool rack that I knocked up but only had a blunt saw that was warped and getting the cut even with set square was a waste of time...
I'll hunt the pic out and show u...warts n all..
Considering what I was able to do will min tools I'm more than happy to repeat making one but with proper tools and jigs clamps etc.
Tbh a band saw is prob what I need and a circular sander table thingy!! Lol
I could cut the wood shy of the line then use the sander to get the joined better..a bit of wood glue n a few wood screws jobs a guddum...I hope
Right of I go finding that shocking pic of my tool rack...
What have let myself into??
ATB
Bri

please don't laugh too loud!!! I can take it! :lol: :lol:
ATB
Bri

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 55
I wouldn't say I've gone on a tangent with the power tools more like hand tools at the moment.
I've already bought a mitre box and a new tenon saw.
So to get me going apart from wood is the following:
RIP saw
Crosscut saw
Tenon saw (already bought)
Gents saw
Coping saw (already got but needs blades :-( )
Mitre saw (already bought)
Obviously you can add to this list until the cows come home, but I wouldn't even think about hand tools until yous mentioned it..told you my tiny brain works slow lol.
At least I know I can use a saw, clamps etc.
Just need a sturdy base to wok on...hmmmm! Might try n find my old B&D workmate if not buy another one!!
Off I go research, research!!
ATB
Bri

That looks like it holds your tools just fine, so job done.

I quite often knock up a prototype with spit and string before making the final piece - it helps you to work out improvements and avoid mistakes :)

I think your decision to start with hand tools is a good one. Work out which effort you hate the most, and then research which power tool purchase will help avoid it! :D

Something I havent seen mentioned yet, and pretty important, dust extraction and dust mask. I would factor both in early especially if you do go down the power tools route.

Now there has been lots of advice already.....but let me suggest a totally different way to go:

With only one finctional hand you have less ability to hold a piece of wood in the direction you want when feeding it through a machine. Hence you need big flat machine tables to lay the wood on. Such machines then to take up space and cost money. With your disability you are likely to have limited funds and limited space. Hence a very few rather big machines.
Can you see what I mean?

I would not feel safe working a table saw with one arm only. Hence I suggest that you don't buy a table saw. Instead you should buy a band saw. The bigger the better because guiding the wood with one hand is a lot easier on a bigger saw table. My band saw has 600mm (24 inch) wheels and if you have money and space I think that would be an ideal size for your body and it's limitations.

With band saw and mitre saw you will be ready to go. You need no more machines than this to get started. For the rest I suggest traditional hand tools..... and of cause a way to sharpen them.
Using hand tools is a great way to excersise your body and to regain your motoric ability. Hand tools are also a lot less dangerous when your body fails to do what you try to make it do. Over the centuries there have been many one handed joiners who have invented ways of working single handed with almost every possible tool. Even with chisel and mallet.......or so they say. I think you should ask in the hand tool forum about one handed hand tool usage.

A few years into your woodworking you may want to plane your own wood instead of buying ready planed. Don't think too much about that stage now but when you eventually get there you will need a planer/thicknesser.
Planing large amounts of timber by hand is very heavy work for an one handed man you see. Surface planing on a planer/thicknesserr with one hand will be difficult. It can be done for sure but it isn't easy. Long and solid surfacer tables makes it a lot easier. Hence I suggest that you look for a rather solid floor standing machine with rather long tables....... but don't think about this right now.

You don't ever need many more machines than this.

Back