Newby and need help on workshop plans & tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heimlaga":o5jpi7ak said:
Now there has been lots of advice already.....but let me suggest a totally different way to go:

With only one finctional hand you have less ability to hold a piece of wood in the direction you want when feeding it through a machine. Hence you need big flat machine tables to lay the wood on. Such machines then to take up space and cost money. With your disability you are likely to have limited funds and limited space. Hence a very few rather big machines.
Can you see what I mean?

I would not feel safe working a table saw with one arm only. Hence I suggest that you don't buy a table saw. Instead you should buy a band saw. The bigger the better because guiding the wood with one hand is a lot easier on a bigger saw table. My band saw has 600mm (24 inch) wheels and if you have money and space I think that would be an ideal size for your body and it's limitations.

With band saw and mitre saw you will be ready to go. You need no more machines than this to get started. For the rest I suggest traditional hand tools..... and of cause a way to sharpen them.
Using hand tools is a great way to excersise your body and to regain your motoric ability. Hand tools are also a lot less dangerous when your body fails to do what you try to make it do. Over the centuries there have been many one handed joiners who have invented ways of working single handed with almost every possible tool. Even with chisel and mallet.......or so they say. I think you should ask in the hand tool forum about one handed hand tool usage.

A few years into your woodworking you may want to plane your own wood instead of buying ready planed. Don't think too much about that stage now but when you eventually get there you will need a planer/thicknesser.
Planing large amounts of timber by hand is very heavy work for an one handed man you see. Surface planing on a planer/thicknesserr with one hand will be difficult. It can be done for sure but it isn't easy. Long and solid surfacer tables makes it a lot easier. Hence I suggest that you look for a rather solid floor standing machine with rather long tables....... but don't think about this right now.

You don't ever need many more machines than this.

Morning all,
Well there is a lots of advices so far, and I'm chuffed to bits with the advice.
As you can you see so far I'm not just going to jump in the deep end and make a fatal mistake with not only safely, but expensive and us rebuilty.
I've beed there with the metal work and the leatherwork route.
Research to till I get it right (hopefully lol)
Looked at bandsaws yesterday! Some cheap, some expensive.
The cheaper option gives me nitemares lol two I looked at the reviews one had a horrible review with tracking and under powered motor..the other bit better, but 'what do I what to achieve making' ?
I keep compRing old tools I've bought, and the learning I achieved.
For example:
Horizontal drinder & curcular sander combo, cheap old and managed to make about 20 custom knives and the handles etc..
A cheap pillar press for doing the pins etc.
But as time went one, with a 1" drinder under powered and the press (loss count of how many drill bits I though awAy)
So I wanted my work by this time to be the best I can do!
So invested with a all singing all dancing drinder! Back then 6 years ago, £1500 plus the belts etc.
And old massive piller press..and the result was emazing!!!
So what I'm thinking is this (I'm open to all options for advice, let's face it I'm new and listen to expericence!)
It will be an standing band saw (the best I can get with the price!) ease of operation, build quality, rialibilty and most important dust extraction.
I can go along with a cheap curcular sander for getting the cut spot on (if needed) m
A workmate bench type to help cut with a hand saw! Or mitre box clamped. There's is so many possibility.
Tbh if I can copy my tool rack again, using the new found knowledge that yous have given me, I'll be really happy.
Without a doubt I've make mistakes, but learning about them and not doing them again is all about learning.
And in my opinion that's what gets me movitated and determine to get better.
As your advice, I'll moser on down to the hand tool section of the forum and bore you more lol.
In time I can show mine and my friends workshop pics if you don't mind lol
I'm just testing the run of the forum do n dont's etc.
But do far I'm really emazed with the quality of advice (doesn't matter if the person is seasons veteran of wood work or just a novice like me)
Mind on a joking point I'm not liking friend or foe thingy :D
I don't want a fatally with my stupidity and lack of experience.
So many question I would love to get answered, I'm come to the right place.
Plus humour helps, So please just take the 'Micky' all good banter.
Right I've woffled enough on my mobile with one finger typing, so off to cut the lawn :-(
ATB
Bri

Hello all,
I've been looking at the Paul Sellers videos on Youtube, and im liking how much I learn last night.
It was midnight when I eventually realise what time is was.
Fisrly the dovetail joint on a box.......I had to back n forth to get the information to sink in...its how I have to do it now due to brain getting damaged lol.
This morning I found the dovetail template, and how to work the angle out.
So my next project is to measure and mark the angle onto wood and make a template for myself.
I'm thinking I might aswell start a 'Blog' but which section, this section?
waiting for my joiners bevel coming, but ive got 'Thingy' (don't know the name) for finding the angle.
then im going to follow pauls 5 part for making a box caddy..
Wish me luck.
ATB
Bri

Good luck Bri - just keep practising those joints! The projects forum is probably best to keep us posted of your progress.

Also, check out Jay Bates on YouTube - he recently did a few videos on his first efforts for dovetails that might be of interest :)

MattRoberts":1l9t0rex said:
Good luck Bri - just keep practising those joints! The projects forum is probably best to keep us posted of your progress.

Also, check out Jay Bates on YouTube - he recently did a few videos on his first efforts for dovetails that might be of interest :)

Thx my m8,
Will do!
I'm really enjoying the freedom of eventually wanting to get a hobby that I've always wanted to..pity it took me to nearly died! But thank the Lord I've got a second chance..a lot didn't...
ATB
Bri

Back