Newbie tool advice - first decent handsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David,

I have a brass-back dovetail saw of indeterminate make. It cuts fine and it has been barely used.
Depending on the postage, you can have it, for the price of P&P Brum to Dublin.
If it's any use to you just holler.

John :D

The saw has since been gifted to a friend.

Veritas all day long. I have the Veritas dovetail saw, carcass saws and recently added the tenon saw to my collection. They are the pride of my little workshop. I could quite easily prostitute myself to get my hands on the rest of their range....but the few items i have managed to treat myself to are outstanding quality and beautiful design.

Modernist":a9zglf2f said:
Sad really that once great tool companies now peddle hand saws for £8 and it appears that is what the market wants.

I recently discovered how inferior my hard point Bahco hand saw is in comparison to a sharp S & J professional when cutting a quantity of 2" Am Cherry to length for stair treads. Sharpening is not such an problem if you get properly set up with some wooden chops to support the blade close to the edge and a proper saw file and set.

Yet another example of the confusion between price and value driven by our highly profitable supermarkets - damn them.

Mod...

Seeing that someone bumped the thread, my two penn'orth on hard point saws, is simple. A quality tool should last you for life, and the only maintenance it needs is sharpening. There's no profit in that, except to saw doctors. Even they lose out if we learn to sharpen a saw properly ourselves. So in a profit driven industry, where it's practical, it's wise to supply items that have a limited life. This seems to suit tools like handsaws. :D

Latest posts

Back