Newbie - my first EVER bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
It has already been mentioned, that overheating is not such a big issue with HSS, it is stable up to about 570°C. But nevertheless I always plead for grinders with half the normal speed and 40 mm wide wheels. The Creusen TS 7500 is such a machine ( available from Axminster ). I was happy to get one of the last Hegner grinders with electronic control and I recently sharpened a bunch of toolsteel tools for a friend. There was no sign of overheating at all, which is mainly due to the slow speed. Wet grinders like the Tormek do a good job, but the others are faster. And if a low speed one is used there is no danger of overheating anything.

Not disputing your experience/findings re slower grinding speeds at all Horst, but when I was struggling to achieve what I considered acceptable hand finishing of my turning tools Chris posted This Quote which I must say fits well with all my engineering experience.

Unfortunately the last 20yrs or so of my 'grinding' experience had been with exotic machines and materiels and hand skills had taken a back seat causing me some frustration at the time trying to do something that I felt should have been well within my capabilities.

Note to Phil: If you read the rest of that thread you will see that I am only 18 months or so ahead of you.

Welcome to the forum Phil
Your bowl is very well turned, and it must have been a great satisfaction. as shape is concerned, it all depends on individual taste.
For sharpening your tools, the wet grinding is not a must, neither is honing by the way. These techniques were necessary years ago prior to have HSS gouges. In addition the perfect and glittering finish you get is sure a satisfaction, but your sharpeining does not last any longer that the one you could do directly on your white wheel.
Keep up the good turning and show us your "second ever Bowles" :lol:

Back