Newbie alert!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks if this is the wrong place but I have been looking for and introduction section and can't find one.

Just like to introduce myself having just joined, I am a life long woodworker having been making sawdust since the age of about 6 (hindering my dad) that was back in the 'good old days'.

As you can see from my 'handle' I consider myself a 'scrimper' in that everything I make is made using reclaimed timber mostly softwood, my stuff is not quality cabinet making but IMHO it does the job. I also hoard any other junk in case it might be useful such as bit's of metal!

I have a fairly decent workshop with Startrite 10" planer/thicknesser, Dewalt R/A saw, Coronet Major, Startrite 301 band saw, Shep table saw, a Hegner and Diamond fretsaws plus other stuff such as Elu routers etc.

I am also a Fretwork fan (I prefer the term rather than scroll sawing) having seen the work my Grandfather did in the 1920's, I have a huge collection of original Hobbies Fretwork plans back to that time and have always been a fan of the original company Hobbies of Dereham.

I hope you will excuse me posting these few words about myself and please 'Mr Admin' remove them if they are not appropriate.

John.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Sounds like you should fit in well here, lots of us hoard stuff 'incase' it might be useful but we are not c#ll~ct*rs you understand. :roll:

One thing we do like is pictures, of your workshop, unusual tools and of course stuff you have made \:D/ work in progress is always welcomed, so if you don't have a camera best put it on the wish list. :whistle:

Hi Scrimper, Welcome to the forum. It sounds you have a very established workshop. After a few posts you will be able to post some pics without the spam blocker jumping all over you. I see you are in Gloucester, That's where I was born :D

Thanks for the welcome Dave.

I would not normally be on the computer Sunday morning, being a keen cyclist I am usually out with the club on Sundays but as it's wet I am in the workshop instead trying to get my bandsaw to stop wandering from the line having fitted another blade!

I do have a digi cam and will post some pictures later to show what sort of stuff I knock together but like I said don't expect quality!

John.

Lord Nibbo":1qzpiqyi said:
Hi Scrimper, Welcome to the forum. It sounds you have a very established workshop. After a few posts you will be able to post some pics without the spam blocker jumping all over you. I see you are in Gloucester, That's where I was born :D

Thanks for the welcome your Lordship, I don't actually live in Gloucester itself but in a small village in the county. :)

DaveL":29vv3yja said:
scrimper":29vv3yja said:
I don't actually live in Gloucester itself but in a small village in the county. :)
Come on now, 3rd post and you have got a gloat in. 8)

Well It did sound a bit gleeful but it wasn't meant to be, if I toff my cap to his lordship will I avoid a ban? :lol:

At least my post count is increasing! Lol.

Welcome John

As it has been said I will fit in just fine here and come on post some pic's :roll: :wink:

Some as you can see are patient :shock: 8-[

CHJ":3vfg7vqq said:
Welcome to the forum John, do you by any chance have a picture of the Coronet Major, how many accessories do you have for it?

I have The Planer and thicknesser attachment + ext roller, box comb jig, disc sander and Spindle moulding kit (which is really dangerous IMHO) I don't use it much now except for the small planer which is brilliant for rebating.

The Major was the first machine I bought, I always wanted one but they were always out of reach to me, when I started my own business (Electrical BTW not woodwork) and I could afford a Coronet I bought this one, that was back in 1976.

I also have a Record DML24X which I now use for turning.

img1036smallid0.jpg

scrimper":1q7rl6sv said:
being a keen cyclist I am usually out with the club on Sundays

Hi John, welcome to the forum. In my younger, fitter days I was a keen cyclist. Which club are you with (I was in the Cyclists Touring Club; Norwood Paragon CC; and East Surrey Road Club).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2cn7rw47 said:
Hi John, welcome to the forum. In my younger, fitter days I was a keen cyclist. Which club are you with (I was in the Cyclists Touring Club; Norwood Paragon CC; and East Surrey Road Club).

Paul

Thanks for the welcome Paul, Yes both my wife and myself ride with the Cyclists Touring club. :)

Back