New workshop is now open

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy,

I did promise when we last spoke that I would post some pictures once I'd dusted and Hoovered ;-) :)

Well spotted, re the sander. Its a Charnwood W420 Bobbin Sander http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/c ... der?cid=37 - but I think its a clone and appears under various names. I brought mine with me from the UK and I don't know who would sell a similar model in Switzerland.

It works well and came with 6 various diameter spindles. The replacement sheaths can be a little costly but I bought one of those plastic brick things (that cleans up sanding belts) and it does a great job in keeping the grit dust-free and prolonging the life.

I didn't buy an expensive model as I don't use it that much but its very useful when you do need it. The bobbin sander works well and does a good job in getting some nice curves and sanding back to a line when cutting out stock.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info re the sander. I visited that page on your link but found the machine is now discontinued (since 2013) and has not been replaced. Not to worry though, I've seen similar machines Draper, Screwfix, etc).

I just wondered because right now I'm thinking about rigging up something in my pillar drill but perhaps a proper machine with rise & fall would be better (but don't tell SWMBO though).

Still reading & enjoying your stuff thanks, and have joined that US Toys Forum. So interesting stuff there.

Have not been very busy lately (fiddling about at hospitals, etc) but will soon be posting some "results" where I've had a few probs.

Again, congrats on the "shed" - a very congenial workplace. I read the walls are 40 mm thick but will it be warm enough in winter? The weather should cut down the number of extraneous UK visitors, so no excuses allowed for not being out there :D

Cheers
Andy

bodgerbaz":3vewhyp4 said:
It also has a comfy leather chair and a small coffee table for me to mull over my plans whilst having a coffee or a beer. I didn't want to show that picture in case I had lots of groans and comments about "get on and make something" :) :)

It has a lovely atmosphere and is a happy place. We are here in Germany to stay for the foreseeable future so I thought why not get a decent workshop and have a real happy place.

I wouldn't trust Thomas Cook to tell me the weather forecast but living an hour South of Koblenz and midway between the Mosel (20 minutes to the West) and the Rhine (30 minutes to the East) we've had several family visitors . . . but none of them 'talk wood' ;-)

Thank you for your kind comments Pete and if you're ever in the neighbourhood you can always pop in for coffee and cake ;-)

I hope you have enough cake to last six months barry :D the flights already booked. You've done a brilliant job and there's nothing wrong with having a stunning little workshop, even if it's just to chill out!
I clean mine in between jobs as I always feel that I work better in clean atmosphere. It's been on my mind the past few weeks to take all the cupbaords at the back of the shed down, again I need space
and I'd like to sort out another little table saw. Big mistake selling the last one.

AES":3bjsc8h1 said:
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info re the sander. I visited that page on your link but found the machine is now discontinued (since 2013) and has not been replaced. Not to worry though, I've seen similar machines Draper, Screwfix, etc).

I just wondered because right now I'm thinking about rigging up something in my pillar drill but perhaps a proper machine with rise & fall would be better (but don't tell SWMBO though).

Still reading & enjoying your stuff thanks, and have joined that US Toys Forum. So interesting stuff there.

Have not been very busy lately (fiddling about at hospitals, etc) but will soon be posting some "results" where I've had a few probs.

Again, congrats on the "shed" - a very congenial workplace. I read the walls are 40 mm thick but will it be warm enough in winter? The weather should cut down the number of extraneous UK visitors, so no excuses allowed for not being out there :D

Cheers
Andy

Oh, I didn't notice that, sorry. I just typed into Google and pasted the results.

Yes I saw several clones when I was researching which one to buy. I think its a standard cast moulding shape painted a different colour with different stickers ;-)

As I said, it works very well and is quiet in operation. You get a nice throoob, thruuum, throoob, thruuum as the spindle goes up and down and by changing the diameter of the spindle you can get smaller or larger arcs. I also have a cloned one of those disc and belt sander things as well for flat sanding.

Sorry to hear about the hospital visits.Hope all is well soon.

It's been mighty warm out there during the long dry summer but I have an oil-filled radiator and convector heater for the winter. Oh, and a thermally lined boiler suit I bought in Aldi a few years ago which was hardly used in the UK but extensively used last winter :) :)

Barry

PeteG":1tvjn29i said:
I hope you have enough cake to last six months barry :D the flights already booked. You've done a brilliant job and there's nothing wrong with having a stunning little workshop, even if it's just to chill out!
I clean mine in between jobs as I always feel that I work better in clean atmosphere. It's been on my mind the past few weeks to take all the cupbaords at the back of the shed down, again I need space
and I'd like to sort out another little table saw. Big mistake selling the last one.

Just type Konditorei into Google Images to see the lightest creamiest cake, and we have lots of them, so no worries.

I agree that if you walk into a nice clean space you do feel more encouraged as opposed to 'I must clear up this garbage before I even start'.

Good luck taking down the cupboards. What plans have you for the extra space?

I sold a huge amount of power tools before moving over here and my almost new Makita table saw was one of them. I'm still dithering whether to get another table saw or not as I've decided to scale back my 'must make' list to just scrolling and wooden toys for the village kinder. Besides, I don't want all that sawdust on me nice clean carpet :)

Barry

Back