New workshop is now open

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgerbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Despite not posting much over the last few months I have been around lurking and reading some posts.

We've had a busy time since retiring to Germany almost 10 months ago and have had several visits from members of our family.

In between chores and tour leader duties I've managed to get the new workshop into shape. And, having just got back from a quick family trip to the UK, I can look forward to starting to make Christmas presents and hopefully contribute more to this excellent forum.

So, to the pictures :-

Attachments

• workshop6.jpg
    workshop6.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,366
  • workshop5.jpg
    workshop5.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • workshop4.jpg
    workshop4.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,366
  • workshop3.jpg
    workshop3.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • workshop2.jpg
    workshop2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,366
  • workshop1.jpg
    workshop1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,366
Lovely!! got shed envy now :cry: looking forward to seeing the pics when you get going :)

What a lovely place to work! loads of room and very bright perfect, It puts my workshop to shame........ I have plenty of space and its brick built double garage with d/g windows and d/g french doors with a separate attached office at the back that i have my scroll saw inbut totally un-organised and I am going to get my act together while the weathers still warm here and start to tidy up and sort out racks and storage etc.
I love the signs on the walls and also like how you have different working zones for different machines/tools. My main problem is physically doing it thanks to my useless hand/arms at the moment but your photos have given me a wake up call to at least plan the improvements
Thanks for posting and look forward to seeing this years creations
Brian

Many thanks for the very kind comments. The workshop is an off-the-shelf design but had to be adapted to fit the space. The interlocking wall lengths are 40mm thick and are placed one on top of the other like a log cabin. When it was finished the door and two windows were facing the house and only 1m away from it so it was very dark inside. The carpenter who installed it for me asked if I'd like the door and a window moved to the side and I jumped at the idea. He then cut out a new door and window opening in the side wall and used the cut out pieces to fill in the old door and window openings.

It now looks out over the garden, has lots of natural light and the store room and scrolling room are at the back of the workshop instead of the side which is much better.

I'll post some pictures of my projects once I've started ;-)

Barry

What a fantastic setup! you have certainly been busy with that since you arrived. Well done. Love the dedicated scrollsaw area and chair.

Alex

Just been out in my workshop and filled 3 bin bags of scrap! still looks a tip! lol its a start though :cool: doesn't help when you hate spiders and there's gert big ones lurking behind everything I move.
Brian

Hi Barry
Thank you for sharing the photos,you are very fortunate to have the space.John suggested the show photo of workplace,this will never happen for me.I have one room,no windows,the Hegner mounted on its stand in the centre.I can reach the wall switches either side whilst seated on chair behind the Hegner.
Thank you for the information about CW and Crafts,I have had some health problem the past few months and never noticed the last time I received it,I made a few projects from its pages,and will miss it.
I was in your country in 1956 (national Service )in Bergen,and did not realize the significance of where I was,has I do now.

Bryan

Hi Barry
Thank you for sharing the photos,you are very fortunate to have the space.John suggested the show photo of workplace,this will never happen for me.I have one room,no windows,the Hegner mounted on its stand in the centre.I can reach the wall switches either side whilst seated on chair behind the Hegner.
Thank you for the information about CW and Crafts,I have had some health problem the past few months and never noticed the last time I received it,I made a few projects from its pages,and will miss it.
I was in your country in 1956 (national Service )in Bergen,and did not realize the significance of where I was,has I do now.

Bryan

Thank you again for the very kind comments. Let's hope I can turn out some work to justify the new workshop. My last workshop in the UK was a converted single garage (with lots of cobwebs and spiders) with direct access to a wooden shed at the end (after punching a hole through the end wall). I was very happy out there and turned out lots of nice presents. I'm sure you'll agree that it is essential that you are happy in your workshop and look forward to going out there. If it's cold, draughty and uninviting you'll hate being out there, you'll find all sorts of reasons to not go in there and be more inclined to rush things so you can get back in the house.

When we retired here, having somewhere to install a new workshop was top of our list of must-have's and to be able to have a new, dedicated space was brilliant. Fortunately, there was room in the back garden to site the workshop - just, and today I start making Christmas presents for family and our new neighbours who have been very welcoming.

If anyone is interested. This is how the workshop arrived :-

Attachments

• blockhaus3.jpg
    blockhaus3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,137
  • blockhaus1.jpg
    blockhaus1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,137
That's not a workshop Barry [Correct spelling :lol: ] That's a holiday home or even a retirement home for scrollers :D It could even be the place you go to when you die :D Stunning job you've done there...So can folk book through Thomas Cook?

It also has a comfy leather chair and a small coffee table for me to mull over my plans whilst having a coffee or a beer. I didn't want to show that picture in case I had lots of groans and comments about "get on and make something" :) :)

It has a lovely atmosphere and is a happy place. We are here in Germany to stay for the foreseeable future so I thought why not get a decent workshop and have a real happy place.

I wouldn't trust Thomas Cook to tell me the weather forecast but living an hour South of Koblenz and midway between the Mosel (20 minutes to the West) and the Rhine (30 minutes to the East) we've had several family visitors . . . but none of them 'talk wood' ;-)

Thank you for your kind comments Pete and if you're ever in the neighbourhood you can always pop in for coffee and cake ;-)

You said you would Barry (post your new shop when finished that is) and now you have. Lovely job, thanks for posting, an inspiration for us all.

BTW, is that a rise n fall spindle sander I see "hiding" in the middle of one of the pix? What make is it, & what do you think of it please?

AES

Latest posts

Back