Time for a change?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine ( to echo the above post) that this thread has been useful to many members inc myself. What I’ve realised is my customers pay for the materials upfront wether they pay themselves or send me the money to pay on their behalf. I charge them the labour per day but I’ve picked up from this thread that I’m not charging for consumables ( plugs, screw , glue , nails etc) so I’m going to start factoring in 10 or 15 % to cover this cost . As a rule I don’t add anything to the materials so the cust gets the benefit of any discount from the supplier but I do make them aware of this . So yes as above a good thread ..
I think it's crazy to allow the client to pay for the materials. If any business bought and sold everything for cost price, they wouldn't be in business for very long. I source my materials and sit down work everything out and recommend suitable materials from experience. The materials are always marked up but not a ridiculous amount.

Work out the cost of the materials and the amount of time it will take you to complete the install/job and + atleast 20% or more (depending on budget and client) to the overall figure. This will give you a markup and allow for any unforseen time.
A business should be running wit a 30/40% profit mark up, but most are only running with like a 10/15% mark up. This is very close if there is a mistake or an unexpected delay or whatever.

You also need to charge for your consumables, it doesn't have to be crazy amounts. But it still costs you to replace, order, pick up, sort, store. If you're on a large install and use dominos/lamellos then these will have to be accounted for as they cost money to replace.

You can be nice and think oh well it's only a few boxes of screws and abit of glue I used for this install and that install, but when you come to replace them time and time again. It definitely adds up and it's your money your spending for someone else to benefit?

I know a plumber servicing oil boilers charging £400 per service and he can do 4 a day. he's not self employed though.

I’m not running a business if I was then I’d probably be doing as suggested. I’m not trying to get rich financially but if make enough for a few extra and of course the odd new tool then I’m happy. A lot of my jobs are from family and friends and I get lots of recommendations from these . Several of these customers are elderly or not well off so charging them £100 for what cost me £50 is just not me . I’ll be retired officially in a few years so I’m really just doing it for a bit of extra cash and to keep the grey matter working. On the other hand I don’t work for nothing and I go at my own speed = slow and steady . I do though understand from a business standpoint that time is money and a business can’t survive without profit. I don’t think though I could ever charge £175 to change a flush button on a toilet, £400 for an oil boiler seems extremely high but My trade was gas servicing and installs so I don’t know what the going rate is for oil .

Last week had a quote of £175 just to replace a toilet flush button............
Could be best part of a days work getting there, and the bits, and getting it together, even if the job itself only took say one hour. You are not just hiring a labourer working by the hour - he may have skills, premises, a vehicle, lots of kit and a whole rake of expenses, just so that he can pop in and do you a quick job

But others have loads of it! That is the problem, now, as ever.
https://gala.gre.ac.uk/id/eprint/42714/9/42714_TIPPET_The_good_life_at_the_top.pdf

They are just looking after one section of the community. Wealth has been distributed massively upwards in recent years. They are doing it pretty well but losing support amongst the wider community.
https://gala.gre.ac.uk/id/eprint/33...a_Progressive_Annual_Wealth_Tax_(2021)_v2.pdf
C'mon, Jacob...you're slipping. You've let slip until Page 2 to get on your usual hobbyhorse. :ROFLMAO:

Back