New member saying hi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ps.harris80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just joined the forum and understand it polite to say hi here before posting elsewhere so here we go.

My name is Paul and I am based in Kent, now that I am getting close to retirement i have been looking for some new pastimes to help exercise the old grey matter to help hold of the scourge of the old, Alshimers and Dementia, both of which I am in the early stages of so learning something new may be of help with that, plus I need to fill all that free time I will have otherwise SWMBO will find something for me to do.

I used to do a lot of carpentry in the 80's and even had quite a well equipped workshop, sadly long gone, now where I live I no longer have room for a large Workshop but have managed to acquire a small space I can use, trouble is because of the rules here I will not be able to use any noisy power tools so will be going down the hand tool only route this time, which give I only have room to build small projects shouldn't be an issue.

The other thing I have decided to teach myself is Watch repairs, just for the fun of it.

Anyway that's it for me I hope to join in more as I get my self more organised.

See you in the main forums.

Paul

Welcome to the forum Paul, but very sad to hear you are in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Dementia. Have you been formally diagnosed? It's a scary thing. Can I ask how it affects you just now? Understandable if you prefer not to talk about it.

Are you teaching yourself to repair traditional watches with lots of diamonds, gears and springs?

Hello hi and good evening to you Paul,, you will find most if not all of what you need on this forum- you just need to ask, maybe it’s curiosity or I’m just nosey but what are you to soon retire from . 😊😊

Hi Sandyn.

I have been diagnosed but fortunately it's just at the forget what I am doing or going stage and the hope is forcing myself to learn new things my delay its progress.

As to the watches, yes the old mechanical ones with gears and springs. Nothing like a challenge

I hope it's a false diagnosis, as can be the case in early diagnosis. I like to learn new things as well. One of the best toys I got recently was a 3D printer, so I had to learn a 3D CAD program. That was a bit of a challenge, but it's turned out to be incredibly useful.
I'm sure you have seen Steve Fletcher on the Repair Shop. I'm always amazed how he can take really complicated clocks to bits for cleaning and seems to have no problem re-assembling everything in the correct order. I suspect a lot of editing takes place and you don't see him taking pictures and making mistakes :LOL:

My mom was taken I’ll a year or so back after suffering a massive stroke, as her family we had suspected dementia/ Alzheimer’s several years previously and had her tested but the hid the results from us . She until her stroke went out on day trips etc every day and was fully independent. due to the stroke we had put her in a care home . The stroke accelerated the dementia so she only has about 20-30 mins of memory. She still recognises her family atm but I know this will change. So yes keep busy Paul and don’t fall victim to just sitting around and waiting for your health to decline. It’s taken me nearly 7 months to apply for a LPA to take care of my moms finances and I’m expecting it in the next week or so . I have approximately £4,000 of unpaid bills for her care so it’s important to get this done ( if you haven’t as yet ) before your not capable. Anyway enough of the negative talk fully enjoy your woodwork and watch repairs and enjoy every day to your best abilities. - take care ( Patrick)

Back