new workshop build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjabika

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

well i've finally took the plunge and started on a new workshop / out building, it's going to be 24' x 11' x 8' to the eaves with a tiled apex roof i've done the digging took me 3 weekends on my own , have gone down a minimum of 12" mor like 15" in places,

have been ringing around today for some for the concrete, i'll need about 4.5 cm3 and have been quoted £445 + £210 to have it pumped to the bottom of the garden, not too bad i thought.

under the concrete i will have 6' of compressed hardcore1' of sand and then 6' of concrete with mesh suspended in it, should be strong enough the concrete place recommended c25 concrete , what ever that means ??.

now this is where i could use some advice, do i use 100mm concrete blocks or would it be ok to use thermalite blocks i was thinking 140 mm thick ones.

what would i need to do to make the thermalite blocks weather proof, i know the concrete blocks can be rendered or just painted with masonry paint.

also are thermalite blocks ok for this application , have spoken to some guys who do civils work for us and they said to use the concrete one's, i'm just thinking of the weight saving , ease of handling and cutting.

any advice would be appreciated

martin

ninjabika":7qnocrz2 said:
any advice would be appreciated

martin

Martin:

We're gonna need pictures.

Oh, and for advice, nobody ever installed too much insulation or too many electrical outlets. :)

Good luck on the shop.

Kirk
who tried really hard to install too many electrical outlets in his shop, but stil failed...

ninjabika":2frbek0u said:
i'll need about 4.5 cm3 and have been quoted £445 + £210 to have it pumped to the bottom of the garden, not too bad i thought.

I would make sure its 4.5 M3 not cm :shock:

Your not allowed to build a workshop without posting pictures WE LOVE PICTURES and detail :D

I'm not by any means a pro and I'm sure someone be a look with decent advice shortly...But from personal experience I would render the blocks (not just paint them). Fit a DPC and make sure your have a slight overhang of the roof over the gable ends as I haven't and rain is driven down through the blocks.

I'm hopefully about to move and will be starting on a new workshop of my own so I shall be watching this with interest :)

4.5m3 - that's not a bad price. You need to tell the supplier that it needs to be "pump grade". Anything else will cause problems. With concrete - if you don't fill the truck, then there's a surcharge for the empty volume. Last time I used almost 9m3 and paid £650.

I don't know who your concrete is from - but I used Lafarge, so if you aren't using them, ring them for a price.

I assume you are working from some sort of plans. If not you might have some issues. Do you need building regs approval? If so I'd get in touch with the local council.

As for blocks - it depends on the loading you are placing on them. Whatever blocks you use - they need to of the appropriate density\load bearing capability.

Also - it would probably be better to round up your concrete to 5m3 - nothing like running short!

HIH

Dibs

the concrete supplies is called accumix, they also supply the pumping unit so i'd have thought they'd supply the right mix. they also mix what ou need on site then pump it.

i'm not using any plans just out of my head, i think i'm ok less than 30 square mts , made of non combustable material, less than 50 % of garden.

as for the blocks , i'd like to use the thermalite blocks ideally just because of the handling issues, and i'll be doing 90% of this build myself, so what do you need to make them weather proof ??? as for load bearing capabilities . i'll have to take advice on this as i've not got a clue any ideas

as for pics , just imagine a big hole in the ground

ninjabika":3i90whj7 said:
the concrete supplies is called accumix, they also supply the pumping unit so i'd have thought they'd supply the right mix. they also mix what ou need on site then pump it.

i'm not using any plans just out of my head, i think i'm ok less than 30 square mts , made of non combustable material, less than 50 % of garden.

as for the blocks , i'd like to use the thermalite blocks ideally just because of the handling issues, and i'll be doing 90% of this build myself, so what do you need to make them weather proof ??? as for load bearing capabilities . i'll have to take advice on this as i've not got a clue any ideas

as for pics , just imagine a big hole in the ground

Mixed on site is fine for some cases - for almost 5M3, I wouldn't use it. Much better to get Lafarge\Cemix to quote you - you'll be suprised at the cost.

Where abouts are you?

To be honest - this has the makings of a disaster. You have no plans. You think that because it's under 30m2 you don't need permissions. With 8' eaves - a 35degree tiled roof or thereabouts - where does that put your ridge? Possibly requiring PP. Building to your boundary?

I would stop and take stock of what you are doing.

Sorry if it comes across as all negative - but better safe than sorry.

Dibs.

I agree with Dibs as long as you have something even if its only on the back of a fag packet

best is to build wit the the concrete blocks, the 400 * 100, or complete wood.

hi all

thanks for the replies, have been looking at my council planning portal and it looks like the apex roof is out, not a problem, because it's within 2 mtr of the boundry the roof must be no more than 2.5 mtr so i'll be having a flat roof then well some thing like 8"-7"

i've found this very usefull, when it loads click the outbuildings box,
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... /miniguide

also from the planning portal outbuildings summary

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upload ... ldings.pdf

martin

Back