New Workshop Build?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibs-h":2j63irlq said:
Then there DVr's - these can SMS or email when motion is triggered and are easily accessible\controllable over the web. .

trouble is that anything thats easily accesible over the web is also hackable and disableable over the web - i'd rather just have a hard wired system and a siren loud enough to make their ears bleed (and potentially a smoakcloak system if theres enough portable vaulables to warrant it)

Best defence ever: A hungry landshark with bad attitude :D

MrD. You have done yourself proud with your shop and all your hard work has paid off.

big soft moose":351ktcgx said:
trouble is that anything thats easily accesible over the web is also hackable and disableable over the web - i'd rather just have a hard wired system and a siren loud enough to make their ears bleed (and potentially a smoakcloak system if theres enough portable vaulables to warrant it)

I see what you mean, but for a home system unless it becomes common knowledge that your planes\chisels are 24k gold and platinum - the chances of being targeted with DOS attacks and intrusion attempts is a bit slim. :wink:

I do like the idea of internal sounders - will look to fit a set in the workshop and with a pitched internal roof - be a bit hard for someone to turn off.

As with all things - the intention I suppose is to discourage the amateurs and all but the tru professionals (but then again they don't nick power tools).

Trig - the types of panels I am looking at are the Texecom Premier range and similar.

Thanks for all the comments.

Kingcod, the floor was suspended off the ground. Where it did contact I placed damp proof course from wickes. The celetex was held in the bottom of the joist with several nails but I was not sure if this would hold so yes I sealed the top as well before putting the sound insulation in.

I did place some polythene over the entire floor while I built the walls to keep the rain from making its way into my insulation. Seems to have worked!

jack55, The cladding I used was lovely redwood shiplap, 10cm strips 22mm thick. I used galvanised 45mm nails. It will not move!

MrD,

Great build and pictures.
If it's not too personal, roughly how much has your workshop cost?
The purse holder has finally let me buy/build a workshop, max size 6mx4m and was comparing costs of building against buying, say a log cabin.

Thanks, JK

Hi JK,

No problem telling you the cost if I knew exactly! I had been buying parts like locks and double glazing for months before the build as I had some spare cash but here is a basic breakdown of the main costs:

timber for framing: £150
Shiplap for external walls: £400
Floorboards for floor and roof: £100
Insulation for floor, walls and roof: £300
Electrics: £500
Double glazing: £200
Plywood for internal lining: £200
Screws and fixings: £60
Paint: £10
Preserver: £30
Other: approx £200
Air Con / Heater: £300
Shingles: £250

Aprrox £2700 in total

Seems a lot but I did goto town with most of the parts including the air con but i feel I have somewhere I can go anytime of year and be comfortable!

Hope that helps
MrD

Mr D nice workshop very impressive. I read with interest the comments that have been posted through this thread about security systems.
Over the years I have seen major developments within the alarm system industry. The one thing that I have never been able to grasp is how can people spend vast amounts of money on workshops, tools, personal possesions etc and then always want to spend so little on the alarm system.
I can remember a few years back I had to quote for a system to a customer who lived in a very affluent area, I arrived at his house and then after introductions had a guided tour of the house, listened to the value of the TV and the blu ray player, hi fi etc etc, when the final price for the system was submitted (that was 1/5th of the price of the TV alone) I was told "Sorry can't afford that" my point is an alarm is normally a one off investment it works 24/7 never sleeps and if installed propoerly will never give any problems.
Yes there are systems avaialble for £200 but buyer beware like a cheap woodworking machine you get what you pay for.
One of my favourite sayings from one of my colleagues about the security systems sold by the DIY sheds is that "If they were that good surely they would fit them in their warehouses" Before anyone writes that their workshop is not a DIY shed and thats why please think is your workshop not worth protecting?
In the past, I offered to do a feature in one of the woodworking mags about how to install an alarm system but they never contacted me, if anyone is interested I am currnetly constructing a website if their is an interest I will create a section security, including info on Types of alarm systems,CCTV, Smartwater. Smokecloak and Fog Bandits,also if anyone wants can point in the right direction of reliable suppliers that do more than just sell the equipment (they offer advice etc) One thing to remeber wireless is really getting under way these daysd reducing the amount of work required to install systems there is a comapny that will soon be offering preprogrammed professinal graded system (Graded at G2 or if required G3) systems, you send then your details, with a sketch of your house / workshop etc, then the system shows up ready to be installed all labelled with instructinos and a video. Again if interested I will post all of this info.
Apologies if I have gone on alot but I just wanted to offer some guidance ,help or advice which I have learnt from over 20 years and increasing in the electronic security industry.

Hoping to see Norm back on UK TV one day

arch, that information would be very interesting. I'm currently looking into suitable alarm systems for my place - Victorian semi. for ease a less hassle I'm looking at wireless as redecorating/lifting floorboards to run wires simply ain't going to happen.
I hadn't realised that the wireless systems had become so sophisticated over the past few years.
As for accessible via the web - fine by me but it'll only be via my vpn systems and never directly addressable (even V6).
Are there any systems currently that are IPv6 compatible ?

arch":awiabjkm said:
Mr D nice workshop very impressive. I read with interest the comments that have been posted through this thread about security systems.
Over the years I have seen major developments within the alarm system industry. The one thing that I have never been able to grasp is how can people spend vast amounts of money on workshops, tools, personal possesions etc and then always want to spend so little on the alarm system.
I can remember a few years back I had to quote for a system to a customer who lived in a very affluent area, I arrived at his house and then after introductions had a guided tour of the house, listened to the value of the TV and the blu ray player, hi fi etc etc, when the final price for the system was submitted (that was 1/5th of the price of the TV alone) I was told "Sorry can't afford that" my point is an alarm is normally a one off investment it works 24/7 never sleeps and if installed propoerly will never give any problems.
Yes there are systems avaialble for £200 but buyer beware like a cheap woodworking machine you get what you pay for.
One of my favourite sayings from one of my colleagues about the security systems sold by the DIY sheds is that "If they were that good surely they would fit them in their warehouses" Before anyone writes that their workshop is not a DIY shed and thats why please think is your workshop not worth protecting?
In the past, I offered to do a feature in one of the woodworking mags about how to install an alarm system but they never contacted me, if anyone is interested I am currnetly constructing a website if their is an interest I will create a section security, including info on Types of alarm systems,CCTV, Smartwater. Smokecloak and Fog Bandits,also if anyone wants can point in the right direction of reliable suppliers that do more than just sell the equipment (they offer advice etc) One thing to remeber wireless is really getting under way these daysd reducing the amount of work required to install systems there is a comapny that will soon be offering preprogrammed professinal graded system (Graded at G2 or if required G3) systems, you send then your details, with a sketch of your house / workshop etc, then the system shows up ready to be installed all labelled with instructinos and a video. Again if interested I will post all of this info.
Apologies if I have gone on alot but I just wanted to offer some guidance ,help or advice which I have learnt from over 20 years and increasing in the electronic security industry.

Hoping to see Norm back on UK TV one day

I hadn't thought of the smokecloak\fog bandit - as the build gets closer to completion - will have a serious think about them. Smartwater - I assume you are talking about the "sprinkler" type system? If so - is installation now available from anyone other than Smartwater?

I do agree - I would stay well clear of the stuff in the DIY Sheds. Post the info up - if it helps\prevents one burglary, enough said. I for one would certainly be interested in the info.

Smartwater is a 'forensic coding system'. You put a small drop of it on each of your tools* and that tags them with a forensic code which the police can read to prove your ownership.

*actually I use on my saxophones - I don't own any LN Planes yet!

arch":zb0s58db said:
Again if interested I will post all of this info.
I'm very interested, maybe you could start a new thread on workshop security. I'd also be interested for my home, I'd like the two places linked if possible. Thanks

Linking the two is certainly possible.
At my cricket club we've just had a new system installed. Main system is in the club house, and another system in my groundsman's garage. Both systems have a control panel (so can be turned off on their own), but the garage is linked via a radio link into the main system where the call goes out from if the alarm goes off.
I'm sure you could link the workshop into the house system without having the separate control panel - obviously at a price.

They are still trying to get the radio link working 100% due to interference from 2 very close mobile phone masts - trying to explain that they needed to use directional dishes for the link flew past them at a rate of knots. This likely wouldn't be a problem in a home environment.

Ok here are some answers that I hope help out-
Jl - The signalling paths that you were talking about only really relate to the comms the alarm panel sends to a receiving centre using a LAN based graphical management system . If you are only looking to be notified on your mobile then this wouldn't be needed. Most of these systems use their own encryption but again are used on a LAN.
Smart Water the systems that I have used are expensive and discharge a shower of water that holds a unique coding to each installation that is highlighted under a form of UV light,this is sprayed all over the intruder the problem is with smartwater in the workshop is do you really want to spray water over all of your equipment? Cast Iron and water ??
I have always worked on the premis that it is better to prevent anything being taken which is why I like fogging machines, they are awesome in preventing theft, check this video to see one in action:http://bandituk.co.uk/
I can assure you that when these go off you cannot see anything, if you can't see anything how can you take it.
Triggar- Most higher level systems work on what is known as an Area system, you can use 1 alarm system then use the areas, say 1 area for the house, 1 for the garage, 1 for the Workshop, you can have multiple bells that only ring for that area,independent signalling to your phone if you want it really it is unlimited, you can if you want to add access control aswell to control setting and unsetting the areas or the full alarm system you can then you are at almost full integration.
You can set the system to arm all areas when say the house is set it really goes on and on, 1 system on the market I would have to say is almost unlimited as to what you can do with it.
Wireless - many options but their are some really smart systems available for less than you would think in cost. These can be used for linking or independent signalling.
Hope this helps will post some more stuff later in the week.

Will Norm ever be on UK TV again ?

Back