New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kirk,
How on earth did you come across a photo like that. The van is an Austin A35, circa 1956 to 1962. I like the play of words - antipesto and s.w.a.t, and would definitely hire them, if I did that sort of thing :smile:

The insulation is 35mm, or 1 3/8 inches thick in old money. Obviously, in a house, the idea is to use the slab as a giant heat sink to even out the highs and lows, not to mention storing solar gain from the windows. But in a workshop situation that is not used every day :shock: it will make the floor warm feeling. There is nothing worse than standing on cold concrete for a long time; and dropping tools on a wooden floor is far more preferable.

It will be interesting to see how the floor paint stands up, as the tin states, 'diamond hard' and Ronseal's bye word is 'does what it says on the tin.' But that's advertising for you.
At this point, my daughter would be shouting 'zed (zee for you), not s.' Something that the founding fathers took with them, but we lost over the years. That takes me back to Sesame Street, which helped our pre-school children learn their letters, apart from correcting the zee that is. I saw an episode recently, and it looks a bit dated, but at the time it was revolutionary....and worked. The other thing was that they introduced people of other ethnic origins, quite radical in those times. I didn't see a black person until I started work, which, to you, probably sounds alien. But I loved the Blues (and still do), so most of my record collection was of black, blind, or just plain dead people. Very strange for a 16 year old - then.
I did manage to get to see the Rev. Gary Davis, at about 70..still a powerful personality, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, and John Lee Hooker, in the flesh, and later a white bluesman - Spider John Koerner.

Is the indoor house renovation being done by you, or a contractor? Diane put her foot down in our old house when it came to the windows and central heating. She said that she, and the then, babies, wanted to be warm this winter not next. She had a point, I am not the speediest of contractors, and would never make any money; but I would have a lot of happy clients, where the quality was concerned.

Ok, bit of wood diversion there, but what the heck. Tea break over, back on your heads, if you know the joke.

TTFN.....Dick.

Cegidfa":1xrgs6hf said:
Hi Kirk,
How on earth did you come across a photo like that. The van is an Austin A35, circa 1956 to 1962. I like the play of words - antipesto and s.w.a.t, and would definitely hire them, if I did that sort of thing :smile:

That's the van that Wallace & Gromit (or Grumpit as the little one says) use. It's on their 'film' "curse of the were-rabbit" :)

Diane put her foot down in our old house when it came to the windows and central heating. She said that she, and the then, babies, wanted to be warm this winter not next. She had a point, I am not the speediest of contractors, and would never make any money; but I would have a lot of happy clients, where the quality was concerned.

Ah I know the feeling well. We went a whole winter without heating when we first moved into our current place. Boy was it cold. With the arrival of a little person last year we pulled our fingers out and got most of the radiators in. There's no way I'd ever live in a place that wasn't heated again, it's true misery.

Anyway, the workshop is looking amazing. I have a serious case of workshop envy. Going to have to push hard to get mine built this year (don't think it will be a self build though). Keep up the good work :D

goldeneyedmonkey":2vxr90p2 said:
Cegidfa":2vxr90p2 said:
Hi Kirk,

That's the van that Wallace & Gromit (or Grumpit as the little one says) use. It's on their 'film' "curse of the were-rabbit" :)

Yep, these guys:
2005_wallace_and_gromit_wallpaper_002.jpg

Cegidfa":2vxr90p2 said:
But in a workshop situation that is not used every day it will make the floor warm feeling. There is nothing worse than standing on cold concrete for a long time; and dropping tools on a wooden floor is far more preferable.
Oh, you got that right. I've got the foam under the slab in my shop, and I'm sure it helps, but the wood over foam looks like a good idea. On the other hand, for some operations like moving machines around, concrete is preferable:
team1t.jpg

I'm using a contractor for everything, because (a) I've got more money than time, (b) they're better at it than I would be, and (c) I want it done before my daughter's high school graduation next week. Same guys who built my shop, and I don't mind keeping them employed.

Advertising? Advertizing? Microsoft Word doesn't care, so why should I?:)

My kids were both in daycare since my wife and I work, so they were rarely home for Sesame Street. Still, it's a much better show than the usual cartoon cr*p. I don't know how the zee/zed thing got going, nor the zero/nought business, but I do know we still use "mad" for "angry" while your use evolved to "crazy" during the 19th century.

I've got lots of dead people in my CD collection too, though many of them died of "rock 'n roll disease" rather than heroin like a good blues man would.:)

Kirk

Hi folks,

Yet another milestone - the floating floor is laid. It ‘just’ needs filling, sanding and painting.....doh.

The laying went very well, until we ended up with a 100mm slice to fill in. As we only just had enough ply, we cut the slices from the last sheet. On the last full sheets, we cut the tongue off and routed biscuit slots every 300mm. So as not to end up with any discrepancies with the fit , I routed a slot all the way along the strips. As the wood would get longer as it eased in, I also chamfered an angle on the bottom edge; which helped when fitting the strips in. Luckily, I had the metal tool for pulling in the strips; it would have been a pain without.

finishedfloor.jpg

Hello w.c.
There’s nothing like a ‘bit’ of poverty to toughen the sinews....or ...something.
There is always the Richard or Linda Thompson song, ‘I’d rather be rich after, than before.’ It worked for us, in a minor way, but we never had any great expectations.
Do try to curb the envy, it can be destructive, although I’m sure you are joking really.
Don’t forget that I did my first 30 years of wood butchering with few tools and the 8’ x 9’ dining room as a workshop; so I know how you feel....it does get better...honest. It’s just that the person in the mirror inexplicably gets older than you feel. Then at about sixtyish, the body catches up and you realise that the old fart in the mirror is you :shock:

Hi Kirk,

Strewth, I didn’t realise that you cut 747s into slices in your spare time. That’s one hell of a bandsaw.

Regards....Dick.

Worry not, envy is not really something I do except in jest. I've actually got a pretty good sized workshop at the moment, unfortunately it's a spare bedroom and I'm not convinced the 200 year old floor is as strong as it could be so there's no way I'm moving the big bits of kit up there. It's certainly a good excuse to improve the hand skills though.

I turned 35 a couple of months ago and I looked in the mirror and for the first time I thought "hmmm, not a young as I once was". I'll have to get the exercise bike I think.

Cegidfa":n3gk4s1a said:
Hi Kirk,

Strewth, I didn’t realise that you cut 747s into slices in your spare time. That’s one hell of a bandsaw.

Regards....Dick.

You know, Dick, I could set you up with a big bandsaw for under $300. There's are 27" and 38" saws on OWWM.org right now. And once you try a big saw, you'll realize just how much of a toy a 14" saw is.:) OK, shipping might raise the price a wee bit. And you'll want to get a motor locally ( 3hp ought to do). But we already know you think big. You can do it!:)

Kirk
Enabler...

Hello folks,
On returning to the workshop after a coffee break, I found a racing pigeon standing on the cast iron TS table. Did he poop...of course he did; despite running back to the house for kitchen roll, the afore mentioned guano had eaten through the protective coating and stained the iron....and I haven’t turned it on yet..do’h.

The new supervisor.
thesupervisor.jpg

The floor has now had two coats of Ronseal diamond hard floor paint. It covers very well and is easy to use...so...yes...it does what it says on the tin.

Having let it harden for two days, we started moving in the machinery that I will need to make the windows; and finally setting it up.
Trying to get the sliding table on the TS 200c level and rolling smoothly was a right pain. As one end is made level, the setting of the other throws off the first setting. UK workshop to the rescue.... I found Martingchapman’s how to setup a TS 200c. Martin, you have my undying thanks for saving us hours of frustration.

tssetupn.jpg

The next step was to fit the new Tuffsaw blade to the BS, and do a trial run with some spare timber.
I have never made a bridle joint before, and this is my first time cutting 100 x 50 par. The blade performed as everyone before has said; absolutely first class (thank you Ian, a vey nice man to do business with). See the first two basic frames below.

twowindows.jpg

So, tomorrow will be making the last two frames, and then it will be cutting the space for the IGU, and the rebate where the window sits through the roof ply.

We have had another casualty after the wind. Our four trunked Cotinus which was about twelve feet tall, is now redesignated as Cotinus Horizontalis. Oh well, more firewood for next year.

Hi Kirk.. Thanks for the offer, but as you can see, I already have a bandsaw. Ok, a toy one by your standard. Oh yes, the fairly cheap flooring was just that. As I moved the bandsaw and the TS, the wheels rolled tracks into it. But, the floor paint didn’t crack...result.

That's all folks.....Dick.

...wish I'd used that floor paint. Mine was non-slip. I may as well have been wearing 80 grit abrasive on the soles of my shoes! Never again, got some anti-fatigue matting to go over it all now though. So happy days.

'shop's looking great Dick, unlucky about the pigeon!

Ta. _Dan

That Dust Extractor must be amazing ....... I can't see a speck of dust anywhere!! Most unlike my workshop which seems to be covered in dust!

Seriously though your workshop is looking great .. well done!

Hi Dick...bosshogg here, you are obviously a determined couple to whom I take my hat off to_

What you are building is similar, in appearance only may I add, to what we refer to in the trade as a convex mansard roof. the idea of a mansard roof, is to extend the roof space into usable space by maximising the available width, height etc.
Looking at Diane s dwg. there is an awful lot of bracing timber in between all the rafters, purlings, posts et al. If, and I indeed am not criticising your thoughts so far, but if you wish to simplify things for your own build-ability you may want too take a look at this http://www.coastalcontractor.net/article/163.html It's not the only advise out there, but I chose it because it's very clear and easy to follow...bosshogg :)

You can't fix a problem using the same thinking that created it...A.E.
8)

Hi folks,

Today, I managed to make the last two frames, and get all the IGU rebates milled. It dawned on me, after many passes over the router table, that the through milled parts could have been cut in two passes on the tablesaw. I will get the hang of this woodwork lark one day....
It’s quite a while since I have done any routing, and I haven’t done stopped milling, where the wood is milled in from both ends, for even longer. Botty pouting time :shock: Typically, I didn’t hold one piece tight enough, and it pulled forward to the end, but that’s what filler was invented for....

I thought that someone might be interested in a shot of the, now, over thirty year old router and table. The table and mount is from Veritas, and the large grey lump is an Elu MOF 177E. I have since found that it is a highly desirable bit of kit. All I can say is that it never lets me down, never slows under load, and whilst heavy to use freehand it is a joy, as the weight makes for great stability; unlike the pile of rubbish that is my small router by Trend. I had to get two before I got one that worked reasonably well.

routerj.jpg

routertable.jpg

Hello Dan (goldeneyedmonkey),
The Ronseal is non slip too,but it doesn’t feel abrasive. I wonder how it works? What did you use, so others can avoid it?

Hello Charlie (Woody),
Joking aside,the DE is quite good on the bandsaw, if I use both motors. A minimal amount is left in the upper and lower chambers, and a small amount at the lower guides - I feel a mod coming on when the build is finished. The blade picked up a coating of resin and dust so I tried the gum remover used on the hedgetrimmer. It worked, but was slow to desolve, so I tried white spirit - that worked a treat.

Hello McLuma,
Would you care to clarify what you mean about the tape?

Hi Dibs,
Glad you are still interested, you are getting on on your build, but still so far to go in the greater scheme of things. What a bummer, having to remove the door :cry:

Hello Boss,
I have been following your guidance of Markymark's build with interest, and thanks for the kind words. Without being able to rotate the the drawing, it is hard to see clearly. There are only four collar beams holding the roof in check. The link that you thoughtfully provided is one that I have been to when doing the research for this build. The reason that I didn’t use that method was down to the height being limited to 4m. As you are aware, for a Gambrel roof to look proportionate, and not ‘squashed’ it needs height that I didn’t have; therefore the compromise was in the wall height. This would have made manoeuvring sheets and long timber a right pain, so I opted for collar beams to gain the clearance.
I don’t intend to use the roof for storage, as I like the feel of a cathedral roof. There is also the advantage that the heat gradient will be longer, so won’t be oppressive in the summer, as it would with a pent roof. Having said that, on the hot days that we have had recently, I was actually cold; so the insulation is working already. I found it interesting that no comments were made about putting it on the outside, which is rare in the UK (for a shed).
As a matter of historic accuracy, I think that Francois Mansart would argue about your definition of the type of roof :wink:
Regards....Dick.

'International Anti-Slip Floor Paint' was the offender. I've since covered it in nti-fatigue matts so it's not visible for the most part. Oh well. :D. Build's lookin great mate.

Dick - did the window reveals yesterday and doing the door later this afternoon and start the plastering tomorrow morning. Hopefully the garage\basement will go quicker as there are no trusses to make, etc. Should be more industrial in it's construction.

Wasn't too happy taking the door off - but what can you do.

Your floor - did you sand and fill it prior to sealing? What did you fill it with? Looking good!

Dibs

Hi Dibs,
I did sand the whole floor, but where the t and g joints were a bit high, I planed them level first (what a labour of love). I used Cuprinol all purpose wood filler for the small gaps and holes (it comes in a variety of colours - I used white). This stuff is allegedly flexible and ok for exterior and interior use. I used an electric sander over all the joins and filled areas, as it goes off quite hard. It seems to be good stuff, but it pays to be not too liberal with it; a damp pallet knife after a little while smooths out any excess, which makes sanding easier....Polyfilla it's not. I rollered the paint on and it is very good tempered stuff. The website has a calculator to gauge how many tins one requires. It went to the wire, but it did the job, just, but the flooring was very absorbent. I just wish that I could have got the same board as used on the roof, in t and g, as that was a lot tougher. I could have biscuited it, but what a pain in the arsch that would have been (excuse my German, but it knackers the swearchecker) :smile:

By the time that you get the next phase completed, I think that we should all club together and get you a medal, for heroic single handed construction :wink: Good luck with the plastering, it's the one thing that I can't do reasonably well.

Best wishes....Dick.

Dick

This looks really great and sadly puts my mere attempt to shame you really are talented and determined. The roof looks great and I bet the extra space it gives you is worth the extra work. The shingles look great too and this now sets a standard for my build also. Your build looks good enough to live in and a great place to while away the winter months on your projects.

May be one day I will be able to build something so grand. For now its onwards with my megere design :lol:

Take Care.

P.S. What did you use as a membrane on the roof?
I am using the rest of my roll of Tyvex Housewrap which I know is not designed for roof use but at £80 a roll I felt loathed to use only 28metres on my build.

Mark

Hi Mark,

:oops: Thanks for the kind words. Your ‘attempt’ is neither ‘mere,meagre or ‘shaming,’ just a different scale. For over 30 years we lived in a mid terrace with a 30’ x 15’ garden; no real room for anything....but life proved kind :smile:

The membrane that we used was Rubershield Lite, which had one endearing characteristic...it was cheaper than the pukka bituminous stuff that should be used under shingles. It looked horrible stuff to use, so we copped out. Only time will tell if we have made a balls up...err, technical error. The only real difference that I can see regarding your use of Tyvek Housewrap is that it is a lighter gauge than the official roof stuff. It is still breathable..perhaps, if you have enough, use two layers to make up for the possible fragility? But I don’t blame you for not wanting to waste Tyvek, as it is pricy.

Hi Mcluma,

Had a bad day then :smile: Don’t worry, you’re not alone :wink:

Regards...Dick.

Back