new website.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael,

you list made to order kitchens, furniture, flooring and renovations/ repairs in the "Our Services" section, yet your Gallery only has 3 pictures, none of which are kitchens, flooring, or renovations/ repairs. The final picture, of the table, chairs, bookcase etc, actually gives you no idea what the bit/s is/are that you made. I think that a few lines about each project would improve things enormously.

Mike

PS.....and there is a typo in "Our Company", where you say "imparticular" when I think you mean "in particular".

Not too shabby. Two comments. The title is hard to read, it fades into the picture and the slideshow is a big no no in my book. Get rid of it IMHO. Just use a simple lightbox slideshow or thumbnails linking to full size pics. Much cleaner and simpler. The KISS principle is very effective on websites IMHO.

Mike,

maybe it is because you are still working on it but none of the pictures are loading for me - not even giving an indication that there is a broken link?

Bob

9fingers":w35pmspm said:
Mike,

maybe it is because you are still working on it but none of the pictures are loading for me - not even giving an indication that there is a broken link?

Bob
Same for me, viewing via Firefox

Nice and simple.

One comment I would add is that it does not feel like a site for a carpenter or joiner (other than the page banner). At the very least I would swap the dark blue background for a more natural colour or just white. Better still, drop the blue and red text too (NB. you appear to have headings in both blue and grey).

From a content point of view... I would combine the Home, Company, and perhaps even the Services page in to one page (Home). I would also combine the Contact Us and How to Find Us pages in to a single page (Contact Us).

Final thought... Legal Notice as a sub-link to Contact Us does not seem to make sense. I cannot remember the precise detail of what is required when it comes to displaying your registered address and VAT number etc, however, I would put it in the footer of the page and keep it away from the key visitor navigation.

All very minor points given the competent look of the site and the content. I can't see any of the above deterring a visitor from feeling comfortable getting in touch with you to do some work for them, it's more a question of whether they would feel compelled/inspired/excited about the prospect of contacting you instead of another vendor who has stroked their sub-concious just a little more?

(PS. Include your company name, trade, and location in your page titles. Also, add meta-descriptions which further describe what you're offering, your USP, and a call to action (e.g. "Call now for a free, no-obligation quote").)

The general look and first impression is very good. This is vital as if you get this wrong people will not stay and read the content.

My only real criticism is the way you talk about 'the company' and 'us'. It is clear that you are a one-man band, so emphasise the personal touch - it is a big selling point to many people.

For instance;

I am proud of my record of satisfied customers and aim to meet your demands to the very best of my ability. I am responsible for every stage of each job from the initial enquiry to the manufacturing and fitting of the product thus ensuring that every aspect of each project is met to the highest of standards.

My workshop is situated in a rural location on the outskirts of Winchester where I use a combination of modern machinery and traditional techniques.

I have found that this approach brings in far more enquiries.

Cheers
Brad

Number of initial enquiries aside, I think your conversion rate could be affected if you portray yourself as something you're not. If you're a one man band and that is clear from your marketing material (or not veiled in any way) then the customer will not feel deceived.

Michael, some feedback, feel free to ignore or use as you wish but I am following on from similar comments from others.....

Agree with previous comments ref stating if you are a one man band, looks confused with saying 'I' for a lot of things and then 'we'. also talks about yourself in the 3rd person 'Michael Clewlow has an excellent reputation ' - looks a bit schitzophrenic (no idea if I spelt that right!)

The gallery has to be the key point of the website where people will judge you, rest of the site can be made up and embelished but the gallery is the place where people will form opinions. So following on from a previous comment I would have thumbnails for each project, with a write-up alongside, when they click on the thumbnail then a large picture to load up so they can see in close detail - as detail is the only place they will be able to see a good job.
I'd also get some quotes from previous customers along with their projects - again what they say will have a lot of weight with potential clients
Try to build up the content of the gallery too to as many projects as you can, to show how much experience and wide range of ability you have

Agree merge contacts and how to find us
About us add a picture of yourself and any other employees
Remove news section - don't see that it matches your type of website, if news doesn't change regularly then it isn't really news

Merge our company, our services and even possibly home

Good luck !

Back