New TS200 Mk2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only seen the sliding table in pictures, so not really sure what it does and what it's used for.

I'd assumed from the start thtat i'd build a cross cut sledge like the ones that seem so popular on youtube.

What would a sliding table allow me to do, or what jigs won't I need if I have one.

I took the plunge at £177, today's price of £157 is a bit of a kick in the nuts, that's £20 that could have gone towards the sliding table.

Thanks
J

j":1orks1tu said:
I've only seen the sliding table in pictures, so not really sure what it does and what it's used for.

I'd assumed from the start thtat i'd build a cross cut sledge like the ones that seem so popular on youtube.

What would a sliding table allow me to do, or what jigs won't I need if I have one.

I took the plunge at £177, today's price of £157 is a bit of a kick in the nuts, that's £20 that could have gone towards the sliding table.

Thanks
J

That's nothing - I paid the full £250 just a few weeks ago.

I have made my displeasure pretty clear to Axminster, but they won't reply.

j":32b7ll63 said:

Thanks
J

The sliding table is a metal beam that attaches to the left side of the main table, with a cast iron sub table that runs along it. Unlike a sled, the sliding table is flush with the surface of the main table, so you lose no cutting height. Also, it has quite a large range of travel, so would allow cutting of a long board.

The price drop is a pain for those that bought early, but it was still a £250 saw. The v2 model looks to be the same, with a slightly better fence. The £70 Axminster band saw rip fence upgrade looks better (than what comes with the v2), and would still total less than the v2 model, so £177 is still a good deal IMHO.

Bodgers":2csuh40b said:
That's nothing - I paid the full £250 just a few weeks ago.

I have made my displeasure pretty clear to Axminster, but they won't reply.

Not much a company can do really; they've got to choose a cut off point to switch from one model to another. That doesn't change the fact that some people are then going to get burnt, and understandably be pretty unhappy about it. Is it within a return period? Return it, then buy a new one :wink:

Yep, if £20 (£22 today) is a kick in the nuts, then the £95 is something a whole lot more painful.

As sploo says, if it's in the free return period, I'd seriously consider it.

Also I notice today they actually mention the fact that it has the R/H extension included.

Axminster got back to me today.

As a gesture of good will, they have offered me an uprated Axcalibur blade (choice of cross cut, general purpose or rip)

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, just thought I would say hello and happy new year to all.

I have just ordered a TS200 from Axminster for £155.41 Inc Vat & Del. (Supplied with 32 tooth Axcaliber TCT general purpose blade and RH Extension), this will be my first table saw and I have really bought it on impulse as it seemed to be good value and suitable for my hobby needs... hopefully I have done the right thing fingers crossed :roll:

All the best, Wingy

Happy Christmas everyone.

I also have bought the ts200 at £160 although I don't think I will really get much use out of it until I move house. My workshop is only 9ft by 9ft, and also houses all the gardening tools.

The dispatch note came through earlier and confirmed the extension table was included which I didn't realise when I ordered it.

Is the sliding table compatible with the mk2? If so I won't bother ordering one because it should be still possible to still order in the future. (When the wife divorces me for excessive tool buying or we have moved house)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingy":323rayeb said:
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, just thought I would say hello and happy new year to all.

I have just ordered a TS200 from Axminster for £155.41 Inc Vat & Del. (Supplied with 32 tooth Axcaliber TCT general purpose blade and RH Extension), this will be my first table saw and I have really bought it on impulse as it seemed to be good value and suitable for my hobby needs... hopefully I have done the right thing fingers crossed :roll:

All the best, Wingy

Insult added to injury then - not only is over 100 cheaper now, the blade that they are trying to pacify me with is thrown in on the deal you now get.

With this 'gets 1% cheaper every day' thing Axminster are doing is just winding customers up. I was going to get a drill press from them in the new year (when it comes back in stock) but I don't think I'll bother now. Who knows what price it will be after I buy it.

Hello,

You're looking at things the ring way! It's the sales season and some will get a limited bargain. You have lost nothing, you paid a fair price and got what you expected. Use your saw for what you intended, nothing has changed. Don't begrudge a lucky few for getting a bargain in the sales. I'll bet you've had bargains in January sales before and will again.

Buy your drill and use it and enjoy that. The price might go up!

Mike.

Bodgers":22m7nte1 said:
Insult added to injury then - not only is over 100 cheaper now, the blade that they are trying to pacify me with is thrown in on the deal you now get.

With this 'gets 1% cheaper every day' thing Axminster are doing is just winding customers up. I was going to get a drill press from them in the new year (when it comes back in stock) but I don't think I'll bother now. Who knows what price it will be after I buy it.

I understand your frustration with the situation.

There's not much that Axminster can do. They are under no obligation to give you the deal, give you some other deal, or even apologise. Frankly it was quite kind of them to offer you a free sawblade, regardless of whether it comes in the new deal or not.

What I would point out is that you were happy to pay £250 for the saw at the time. The saw you have received is still the same saw that you valued at £250. After all if you didn't value it at £250 you would have passed up on the saw at that price. From what I understand, the saw is easily worth the £250. I'm sure the main reason for them dropping the price is to flush out the last of their stock to prepare for the new model coming in. And after all, the new model purely addresses the shortcomings of the original model as pointed out in the reviews on that page.

Personally I think that by dropping the price daily they are creating an excellent promotion. It's just unfortunate that you bought it before it began.

You can always wait for a better deal to come along, but at the end of the day the best saw is the one which is in your workshop and allows you to get your work done ;)

Willy":1qdk4802 said:
Bodgers":1qdk4802 said:

I understand your frustration with the situation.

There's not much that Axminster can do. They are under no obligation to give you the deal, give you some other deal, or even apologise. Frankly it was quite kind of them to offer you a free sawblade, regardless of whether it comes in the new deal or not.

What I would point out is that you were happy to pay £250 for the saw at the time. The saw you have received is still the same saw that you valued at £250. After all if you didn't value it at £250 you would have passed up on the saw at that price. From what I understand, the saw is easily worth the £250. I'm sure the main reason for them dropping the price is to flush out the last of their stock to prepare for the new model coming in. And after all, the new model purely addresses the shortcomings of the original model as pointed out in the reviews on that page.

Personally I think that by dropping the price daily they are creating an excellent promotion. It's just unfortunate that you bought it before it began.

You can always wait for a better deal to come along, but at the end of the day the best saw is the one which is in your workshop and allows you to get your work done ;)

What you say makes perfect sense.

Until you are on the receiving end of it.

Yes, they didn't have to do anything, but even the faceless corporate Apple Inc. routinely give customers the price drop difference if there is a significant price drop in the product if you bought within 2 months of the cut.

I think its the nature of the drop here - it is a hefty drop.

I am not sure the daily drop is an excellent promotion either. I would encourage everybody not to buy until at least another 2 months. It will be half the price again by then.

I suspect if Axminster's revenue were over $180billion this year they would also have refunded you the difference!

Anyway I hope you grow to enjoy your saw rather than resent it and Axminster. I'm sure it would serve you well.

Bodgers":35kvy3dm said:
Wingy":35kvy3dm said:
Hi All,

All the best, Wingy

I do apologise, on re-reading my post I can see that this would come across as gloating which was not intended.

My message was intended to point out that without much in the way of research I had seem to have got a very good deal, and was wondering if I had missed something obvious (to others), as generally I have always stood by the old adage; "if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is".

Regards, Wingy

No problem at all - it is Axminster that I have the beef with.

This is a geniune good deal, so you have nothing to worry about, as long as you can handle it being almost £100 in the next few weeks....

Bodgers":22y09eqx said:
I am not sure the daily drop is an excellent promotion either. I would encourage everybody not to buy until at least another 2 months. It will be half the price again by then.
Theses sort of promotions don't go on very long, just a few weeks, so the effective discount is rarely substantial unless the product is poor and reviewed badly.

Get over it and move on.

Rhossydd":3hv3ryat said:
Bodgers":3hv3ryat said:
Theses sort of promotions don't go on very long, just a few weeks, so the effective discount is rarely substantial unless the product is poor and reviewed badly.

Get over it and move on.

I don't think this is a promotion - it's a "discount the old stock in order to get rid of it quickly as we've got a replacement model". Very standard practice; though usually in a manufacturer/seller relationship you start to notice retailers subtly reducing the prices of a product (to get rid of stock) some weeks before the manufacturer announces a new model. Axminster (as both the manufacturer and seller in this instance) obviously felt happy to discount the old model whilst already listing the new one (even though it's not actually available yet).

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd had a good look at the specs and the photos on their site, and as far as I can make out they've just added a chunk of cast iron to the front and rear of the table to allow them to fit a version of their bandsaw fences (from the HBS310N on the TS200-2, and what looks a bit like the HBS350N on the TS250M-2).

The TS200-2 also lists a 205mm blade, but I've seen reports of people using 220mm blades in the TS200 (with riving knife mods) so I suspect the TS200 would take a 205mm blade with minimal mods.

As such, my strong suspicion is that's probably the only differences; so if you've got a "v1" model with a fence upgrade you've probably got something as good as the v2.

To answer another question earlier in the thread - the fact the sliding tables aren't discounted, and the fact the same model is listed for both the v1 and v2 saws respectively leads me to believe it's unchanged. That makes some sense - as it looks as though the main tables are exactly the same casting on both the v1 and v2.

My only disappointment is that they won't sell the v1 TS250M as a saw only (for £221; despite it being listed on their site). I called and was told that they had a few left, but were only selling them as the complete kit, which didn't seem that discounted to me. I suspect it's largely because they have loads of TS200's (so need to discount hard) but had few TS250M's.

"To answer another question earlier in the thread - the fact the sliding tables aren't discounted, and the fact the same model is listed for both the v1 and v2 saws respectively leads me to believe it's unchanged. That makes some sense - as it looks as though the main tables are exactly the same casting on both the v1 and v2."

I specifically asked about this when I bought my TS200 and was told that the sliding table would still be available as an option as it was the same item for the new version.

It is always risky buying big ticket items shortly before christmas because prices generally come down in the new year.

As for comments on the daily price reduction, I don't have a problem with it as I bought at a price I was happy with (£170) and if others get it cheaper then good luck to them.
I wonder when there will be a post on here from someone saying that they were waiting for the price to drop even further only to find they had sold out!

Rhossydd":1p0nwhxz said:
Get over it and move on.

Again, easy to say when you are not on the receiving end of it.

Thing is, a customer votes with their feet when this kind of thing happens.

I was going to buy a drill press from them in January, but I won't be bothering now, as I have no desire to play roulette with their pricing.

I will go elsewhere, and move on, as you say.

Back