New TS200 Mk2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just bought my first table saw a week ago, the Axminster TS200, I notice Axminster have just listed the new Mk2...working in IT, you kind of expect this, but in the woodworking world, I have to say this grates a little.

Looking at the photos on the site, it looks like they have upgraded the fence - it looks higher and the rail it runs on looks more substantial. Depth of cut is increased as well - looks to be a 205mm blade rather than a 200. The guard looks different also.

I have the extension table with the full length fence on my TS200, so I am not sure if this is really worth buyers remorse on my current setup - and they also seem to have jacked the price up quite a bit...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... -table-saw

the prices do move at this time of year with Axminster, because they have a yearly catalogue. You may well find that your saw will take a 205mm blade, but the difference in depth of cut is practically nothing. My Kity will take up to 260mm (I think), but I have a small range of blades for it between a 6" grooving blade to a 260mm ripping blade. Most are 200mm or 250mm because they are easiest to find (and some came with the saw).

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. If the fence isn't as good as you would like, you could look at upgrading- some people have bought an axi one, or you could look at a beismeyer type. You could add a taller sub-fence if you wanted to (you may wish to add a short rip-sub-fence anyway). But I think you have a good starter saw there, which you should be able to sell on easily enough if and when you choose to upgrade. I had the Kity 419 before my current Kity and it was a great little saw.

Bodgers":f3pz5joj said:
Having just bought my first table saw a week ago, the Axminster TS200
That they've been haevily discounting the TS200 recently should be a bit of a give away ;-)

As marcros says, the change in depth of cut is negligible. The only other difference appears to be the rip fence and only looks marginally better than the original from what I can see.

No cause for regret I think.

I don't think the current deal is a giveaway as the deal they had for a long time before with the extension table added in, made that a better deal.

But, yes, it is a good starter saw and it seems decent enough to me for now...human nature to look at what could have been I suppose.

I once looked at a TS250 and even told the person at axminster I wanted a quote with the bandsaw fence because everyone complained how rubbish the original fence was and that they put that fence on instead. I didn't buy the saw in the end (bought used, way better quality and power that way), but perhaps stories like mine and many others led them to make some changes.

To be fair, the mk2 models were on the site last week so I suspect you have may just not noticed it. Also I'd look at this way; at least you can choose which fence to upgrade it with if indeed you want to. Also as noted up there ^, 205 over 200mm means zip in terms of cut depth.

As for the prices, Axminster always slightly jig their pricing just before Xmas and then add 20% or more across the board just after. I can never fathom how the price hikes are justified myself.

Evening all,
Been quite a while since I've been on here, I was googling for some opinions on the Axminster TS200 which lead me back here after a number of years.

I ordered the TS200 yesterday which it turns out was the bottom of their dropping 1% per day promotion, so got it for £177, this is an upgrade to my £30 Aldi table saw that's done well for the occasional use it's had for the past few years. As an aside, The Aldi saw has a whisper quiet induction motor, something I didn't appreciate till I used a brushed motor screaming saw last year.

I was a bit gutted when I read Bodger's comment about the deal not being as good as the free R/H table extension offer.

Bodgers":366s4g0u said:
I don't think the current deal is a giveaway as the deal they had for a long time before with the extension table added in, made that a better deal.

But, yes, it is a good starter saw and it seems decent enough to me for now...human nature to look at what could have been I suppose.
I thought I'd misread the website when ordering, but my despatch note emailed this morning confirmed that the offer price still included the table extension. Obviously I won't know 100% till I take delivery, but it looks promising, and therefore a bargain clearance item as the new v2 is out.
This coupled with the significant price jump to the v2 or the TS250 or TS250-2 made the price irresistable. I've been looking at this saw for years.

The next thing to consider, is that if this saw is to be discontinued, will they clear out the sliding table too?

I'll report back when I get it, and I'm sure i'll have questions on setting it up.

Merry Christmas

j":17sla9gr said:
The next thing to consider, is that if this saw is to be discontinued, will they clear out the sliding table too?
Unlikely. From the illustrations on the web site the mk2 looks almost identical to the old one, just with a fractionally larger blade and better fence, everything else looks the same. Which of course makes complete sense, why re-design it all including all the accessory sliding tables, extension table or stand when the old ones worked perfectly well.

<Later edit>I was WRONG
The side table is different because of the different fence guide.
The old tables, and TS200, are currently on offer as clearances in their sale.

The mk2 is a little bigger, but yes it would make sense if they could re-use the accessories.

TS-200
Overall L X W X H 535 x 400 x 325mm
Table Size 535 x 400mm
Max Width Of Cut With Fence 150mm standard, 750mm with R/H Table Kit

TS-200-2
Overall L X W X H 800 x 400 x470mm
Table Size 675 x 400mm
Max Width Of Cut With Fence 190mm standard, 750mm with R/H Table Kit

I asked in store about this yesterday, specifically regarding the TS-250M-2, but I would have thought it also applies to the TS-200-2.

Differences are:

• Upgraded fence (modified version of Bandsaw fence most people are using as an upgrade).
• Additional support truss/leg under extension table – this can be seen in the photos
• Slightly larger table

Just a quick note to anyone looking.
The TS-200 is now £170 on clearance.
It doesn't say anything about the R/H extension table being included though.

The TS-250 is now £221 on clearance

The -2 versions are still full price (£299 and £399)

I got mine today complete with R/H extension table.
Just managed to haul it out of the box onto the workbench sofar.

I have just been to Axminster and bought a TS200 for £170 and it came with the extension table and rails foc. Bought the leg stand for £29.94 and so for £200 all in I'm quite happy. I didn't know the extension table was free until I got to the till....I may have to go back for the sliding table :p
The box weighs a ton!

I'm sure they'd shift all they have left if they actually mentionned the fact that it includes the extension on the website.

Makes me wonder if you also get one with the T250

From looking at the specs and the photos it appears the v2 models are exactly the same as the originals, but with a separate bit of casting added to the front and rear ends of the table (to fill in the 'lip' that's present). A new fence is then screwed to that casting. Hence the tables are a hair longer, but will now have a join in surface.

I suspect it would be possible to convert a v1 model to a v2 if Axy offered a kit.

Given the above, I'd have snapped up a TS250 in an instant (for £220), but sadly they've all gone. The 200 is now down to £165, but I just have a feeling I'd need more than the 58mm cutting depth.

Looking forward to all the how to assemble your TS200 threads coming up soon.
I've only got the bits out of the box so far, it's too cold in my garage at the moment.

I've just taken the plunge too; a TS200 for £160 was impossible to resist. I've ordered the extension table too (all online) but there's no indication I'd have gotten one with it anyway.

j":at4f5xl6 said:
Looking forward to all the how to assemble your TS200 threads coming up soon.
I've only got the bits out of the box so far, it's too cold in my garage at the moment.

Apart from the weight of the thing I don't think you'll have much of a problem mine went together quite easily.
I needed some of the shims under the insert to make the surface level but that was the only issue.

I now wish I'd bought the sliding table, although I may cobble together a sled

sploo":e6r88y51 said:
I've just taken the plunge too; a TS200 for £160 was impossible to resist. I've ordered the extension table too (all online) but there's no indication I'd have gotten one with it anyway.
I'd give them a ring to confirm either way.
The first real confirmation I had was on the despatch note they emailed.
I guess at that point it is too late to cancel the extra extension.
Not sure if you can utilise both extensions and have a super wide saw surface :)

j":98z94sfu said:
sploo":98z94sfu said:
I'd give them a ring to confirm either way.
The first real confirmation I had was on the despatch note they emailed.
I guess at that point it is too late to cancel the extra extension.
Not sure if you can utilise both extensions and have a super wide saw surface :)

*LOL* I wouldn't have the space :)

I called this morning (actually called yesterday after placing the order but they were closed)... the rumour is correct - despite it not saying on the website, they're giving away the R/H extension with the saw (so I would have apparently received two!). Apparently they'll cancel the extension line from the order and refund the cost. The order on the website is unchanged, but if that works then that's a TS200 + R/H extension for £160. I'd call that a bargain.

I may look into a fence upgrade as I understand that's the TS200's weak point, but even if I spent £140 I'd still only match the cost of the v2 saw (and I'd hope to get a fence that's better than the one with the v2 saw).

I also suspect the v1 model will take a 205mm blade, as I've seen others mention fitting a 220mm blade with some riving knife mods. That would result in essentially zero difference between the old and new versions.

Inoffthered":98z94sfu said:
Apart from the weight of the thing I don't think you'll have much of a problem mine went together quite easily.
I needed some of the shims under the insert to make the surface level but that was the only issue.

I now wish I'd bought the sliding table, although I may cobble together a sled

Had I known for sure that the R/H extension was free when I placed the order, I'd probably have gone for the sliding table. However, it's over the free delivery threshold, and looks to be the same model for the v2 saw, so I figured there would be no risk in waiting before buying it. Having looked at one in store, I reckon I could build something similar out of bits I already have, but I'll wait and see.

Back