New to turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckmeabone

Reaction score
I’m new to wood turning and I have been given a Sealey sm1100 10 speed, which has saved me a ton of cash for getting all the tools I need as they are not cheap, looking online they do a blue sm1100 but this one is green, anyway It has no chuck, and I can’t seem to find any info on the thread size.

Could someone post a link to a chuck that would fit this lathe.

Thanks for your help.

Hi there Chuck
i had one of those lathes given too me a couple of years back….the thread is definitely 3/4 16tpi…..I bought a cheaply chuck from rutlands to get me going .
however I know own an Axminster bench job by with M33 thread….if you intend updating in future Tris is right…. Get an M33 chuck with a 3/4 insert…save you in long run…

steve

this seems to be a duplicate thread - more answers in the other thread…

Thanks for the reply’s , so if I get this adapter Lathe spindle thread adaptor - 3/4 x 16tpi to M33 x 3.5

Then I would just need to search for a m33 chuck, so the chuck can then be used on any lathe with a 3/4 or m33 head.

Apologies for the double post, I only joined yesterday and needed permissions I didn’t realise that my original post would get posted after permission granted to forum, so made the post again this morning.

Thanks for the reply’s , so if I get this adapter Lathe spindle thread adaptor - 3/4 x 16tpi to M33 x 3.5

Then I would just need to search for a m33 chuck, so the chuck can then be used on any lathe with a 3/4 or m33 head.

Apologies for the double post, I only joined yesterday and needed permissions I didn’t realise that my original post would get posted after permission granted to forum, so made the post again this morning.
That looks just the job, cheaper than a lot on eBay and likely better quality.
An M33 thread chuck with an insert should cover most of the popular modern lathes, just as long as you don't buy one from Lidl :LOL:

https://www.quality-woodworking-too...chuck-tr23262-insert-version-insert-included/
So could this be better for what I need? If I buy this chuck and add the 3/4. 16 tpi insert from the drop down list this will go straight on the am 1100 , like you mention earlier if I change lathe I can buy a new insert for this chuck as they have many insert sizes available .
I feel I’m getting a bit overwhelmed with all these sizes and inserts and jaw addons. I have a lot to learn and am not really looking to start turning until the new year, but I really don’t want to waste money buying wrong gear or gear I can’t use on a new lathe.

Edit**. Would 50mm be big enough or would people start with a a bigger chuck, it’s like this lathe is massive so would be nice to eventually use it to its full potential?

Thanks for your help.

https://www.quality-woodworking-too...chuck-tr23262-insert-version-insert-included/
So could this be better for what I need? If I buy this chuck and add the 3/4. 16 tpi insert from the drop down list this will go straight on the am 1100 , like you mention earlier if I change lathe I can buy a new insert for this chuck as they have many insert sizes available .
I feel I’m getting a bit overwhelmed with all these sizes and inserts and jaw addons. I have a lot to learn and am not really looking to start turning until the new year, but I really don’t want to waste money buying wrong gear or gear I can’t use on a new lathe.

Edit**. Would 50mm be big enough or would people start with a a bigger chuck, it’s like this lathe is massive so would be nice to eventually use it to its full potential?

Thanks for your help.
The supernova will be plenty big enough. I have one and it is quite chunky. I also think the 50mm jaws are a good size to start with. You can hold little bowls on compression mode and medium in expansion. Should cope with the 12" that your lathe can manage over the bed fine.

Thanks for your help.
Your lathe will cope with quite big pieces, but don't leap in immediately with something massive as it can get quite scary. Until recently I had the size down from it in Axminster colours and rough turned this on it with the head swiveled.

IMG_20221114_224924_383.jpg

Done with a 3" faceplate and 55mm jaws, but I would not recommend that aspect of the plan.

Just make sure the Nova will take an M33 insert. From memory I don’t think it will. The M33 version is directly threaded. The record power Chuck will take an M33 insert, I know as ive got one. Good luck, welcome to the world of turning.

Thanks all, I’m gonna go with the record power chuck as it’s been recommended by you experienced turners , it’s cheaper has good reviews and is currently in a sale, just not sure wether i can get it this week

THANKS everyone this was very useful. I'm just about to pull the trigger on my lathe purchase (Axminster AW305WL) And I was going to go with the SK100 package BUT now I'm going to go with the SC4 package. I think the versachuck adaptability is awesome but it's that tiny bit more expensive and as this is my first investment into turning, as/when and if I need to upgrade/update I'll sell the bits I have and hope that selling at a complete package will be good for a future starter.
Now.... I just need to do some research on chisel packs.... any recommendations?

THANKS everyone this was very useful. I'm just about to pull the trigger on my lathe purchase (Axminster AW305WL) And I was going to go with the SK100 package BUT now I'm going to go with the SC4 package. I think the versachuck adaptability is awesome but it's that tiny bit more expensive and as this is my first investment into turning, as/when and if I need to upgrade/update I'll sell the bits I have and hope that selling at a complete package will be good for a future starter.
Now.... I just need to do some research on chisel packs.... any recommendations?
I bought from yandels the silver line 8 set it’s on sale for 19.99, they are probably a terrible chisel to use, I’ve not used them yet, but they seem half decent quality and sharp and I thought was good to just practice with and also to practice sharpening on, in the future I will upgrade them but the branded ones are £180 for the set.

yeah I saw those but assumed they were either mini or a bit pants, the general feeling I have from the research I've done so far is that, yes the best chisels are pricey but as long as you get HSS and have a decent sharpening setup you can (as a beginner) do OK. Luckily I inherited a wolverine sharpening jig and grinder, so will be getting to grips with that in due course.
However what do the more experiences turners think of something like this...?
ebay turning chisel pack

For those who are following this thread with a view to purchasing a chuck, this is a superb value package currently being sold by a number of vendors:
https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/nova-teknatool?redirect=1Very similar to the Record Power SC4 chuck and currently available direct threaded M33 x 3.5mm or with an insert.
Jaws are compatible with the Nova/SC4/Sorby Patriot range of chucks.
Duncan

For those who are following this thread with a view to purchasing a chuck, this is a superb value package currently being sold by a number of vendors:
https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/nova-teknatool?redirect=1Very similar to the Record Power SC4 chuck and currently available direct threaded M33 x 3.5mm or with an insert.
Jaws are compatible with the Nova/SC4/Sorby Patriot range of chucks.
Duncan
I'm looking at getting a chuck, or possibly a chuck set as a Christmas pressie (for me). I have a Charnwood W812 and Charnwood sales have pointed me towards the Viper3R and a threaded insert, or the Viper2.

The link above takes me to a page with multiple items showing and I'm not sure which chuck I should be looking at?

Back