New to turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah I saw those but assumed they were either mini or a bit pants, the general feeling I have from the research I've done so far is that, yes the best chisels are pricey but as long as you get HSS and have a decent sharpening setup you can (as a beginner) do OK. Luckily I inherited a wolverine sharpening jig and grinder, so will be getting to grips with that in due course.
However what do the more experiences turners think of something like this...?
ebay turning chisel pack
I am sure you would get used to them, but they don't look the most useful of shapes either for spindle work or bowls.

The biggest spindle gouge would probably do as a roughing gouge, but is not the usual shape. I am not sure if I would trust any of the gouges for making bowls, and I am not sure what the diamond shaped scraper is for. The round scraper would be best reshaped, but would be fine once you did that.

What you get depends on what you want to make. Record do a starter set for spindle work and another for bowls. Alternatively the sorby 6 piece set would be the ultimate option, but expensive.

The other option would be to get them singly, so as to lessen the shock. For bowls you could get by with just a 3/8 bowl gouge. For spindle a roughing gouge, and a skew. Unhandled also saves money, but cheap steel will probably be frustrating in the long run and you will want to replace them later.

yeah I saw those but assumed they were either mini or a bit pants, the general feeling I have from the research I've done so far is that, yes the best chisels are pricey but as long as you get HSS and have a decent sharpening setup you can (as a beginner) do OK. Luckily I inherited a wolverine sharpening jig and grinder, so will be getting to grips with that in due course.
However what do the more experiences turners think of something like this...?
ebay turning chisel pack
Hi K

I don't think the ebay set is really what you need and at £5 a chisel I think you know what you'll get. As I said the other day, come and see me before you buy chisels. Nuff said!

"The link above takes me to a page with multiple items showing and I'm not sure which chuck I should be looking at?"
Sorry, I was referring to the PRO-TEK SuperNova2 Chuck Bundle £129.99. This will give you a good chuck and a nice selection of jaws to get going, and a screw chuck.
There are a couple of other packages for less money.
Duncan

Back