New stair case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a stair case in my house which is to be honest awful. It looks like it was designed by the same people who invented woodchip and came up on the house survey as being unsafe.

I would like to replace them. In an ideal world I would know how to do it myself or would have found a guide on the Internet. My question is, is it even worth attempting myself? Should I buy a kid to install and if so where from? What are my other choices?

Whilst staircases are relatively straightforward things to make they do require a certain level of 'understanding.'
Once you've done a few and you 'get it' they're not really that hard. First time can be very challenging however.

Any decent joinery company will make one for you. If you're a competent carpenter then you should be OK fitting it yourself (with a mate to help)

We're looking at upgrading the banister and spindles on our staircase in the future. Is this really difficult to do?

Doris
I did mine a few years ago. It isn't difficult provided you work methodically and are careful with regard to your cuts. The cut angles and lengths of your banister and spindles etc has to be as precise as possible. if you get one wrong on say a length of banister rail and it is a tad short oir the angle is out, it may be that a whole length is wasted.

Del

KentAndy":4hty36mg said:
I have a stair case in my house which is to be honest awful. It looks like it was designed by the same people who invented woodchip and came up on the house survey as being unsafe.

I would like to replace them. In an ideal world I would know how to do it myself or would have found a guide on the Internet. My question is, is it even worth attempting myself? Should I buy a kid to install and if so where from? What are my other choices?

Even though I shall probably never have the opportunity to build a staircase, I recently spent an enjoyable hour - and learnt a lot, watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwPfOx_Ho4w

Doris, for a range of spindles and handrail, Newels etc have a butchers at the Richard Burbidge range, all the hard work is basically done, it's just cut and fix Excellent stuff!
Regards Rodders

Doris":2nsebojk said:
We're looking at upgrading the banister and spindles on our staircase in the future. Is this really difficult to do?

No
If you can measure and cut accurately then its a relatively simple task

Yes
If you have no idea on how to use a tape measure and saw

Any questions ask away,,, preferably before starting lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KentAndy":2hcuzuwy said:

Are you talking about the whole staircase including the Newel posts, treads and risers or just the handrail and Spindles

Kent Andy, you will need to work out the going and rise of existing flight, measure the rise, height floor to floorand then the going, Where they start to where they stop.
This is the basic's for a flight, along with the width,to have a set or flight made.
If you're lucky, and not looking for an oak set, check on the two standard flights that most builders merchants stock.
There's a link below which has loads of info and a staircase planner to help work out everything.
I've not used this myself, but would should the need arose, despite knowing quite a bit, I'm not afraid to seek help or advice when needed.
Let us know how you get on, post some pics so we can be familiar with you're job and particular situation.
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.richardburbidge.com/

RogerBoyle":3d1t5ezn said:
Any questions ask away,,, preferably before starting lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm not starting it yet will probably be a year or so away. But was just pondering what our options were with it.

Is it possible to remove the newel post and replace it with a new one or are they a pain to get out? My current newel post on the landing seems to go through to the ground floor and I presume it can't be taken out and replaced cleanly now?

delboy47":3d1t5ezn said:
Doris
I did mine a few years ago. It isn't difficult provided you work methodically and are careful with regard to your cuts. The cut angles and lengths of your banister and spindles etc has to be as precise as possible. if you get one wrong on say a length of banister rail and it is a tad short oir the angle is out, it may be that a whole length is wasted.

Del

That probably explains why our handrail is bent like a banana then.

Doris, I have cut the newels before now and as long as they are similar sized, 3"x 3", by boring a 40mm central hole the new replacement post, with a very large 40mm dowel will fit, it really is simple, look at the link I put earlier for the op,
for Richard Burbidge.
Regards Rodders

Doris hi
Blackrod is right you can replace visible part of the newel by dowelling. Personally i would recommend a mortice/tenon joint.
Get the new newel post machined to the EXACT cross section as the original, then cut a very accurate mortice in the lower end about 8" long. Make the cut parallel to the stringer this will give max support sideways as handrail will give strength lengthwise.
Now cut the tenon in what remains of the old newel stump, mark very accurately and pare to mark checking fit as you go, should be able to make a join that you wont see after painting.

David

dejaa":sf3yj736 said:
Doris hi
Blackrod is right you can replace visible part of the newel by dowelling. Personally i would recommend a mortice/tenon joint.
Get the new newel post machined to the EXACT cross section as the original, then cut a very accurate mortice in the lower end about 8" long. Make the cut parallel to the stringer this will give max support sideways as handrail will give strength lengthwise.
Now cut the tenon in what remains of the old newel stump, mark very accurately and pare to mark checking fit as you go, should be able to make a join that you wont see after painting.

David

If you haven't seen it, the instruction for the above process is on this link,--

http://www.richardburbidge.com/media/50 ... ctions.pdf
Regards Rodders

Thanks for all of the replies. To give you more of an indication, this is what we have and what we would like.

I don't even know where to start on this one. Is it cheaper to order a package or is it worth giving it a go?

Attachments

• 20150816_202328-640x480.jpg
    20150816_202328-640x480.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20150816_202335-480x640.jpg
    20150816_202335-480x640.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-20150816-WA0006-480x639.jpg
    IMG-20150816-WA0006-480x639.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 45
As I said, measure the height and going. and check if the standard flight will fit, looks as though you need 10, or 11 treads, I think the standard is 12 treads.
Then study the last link that has the ideas and tips you'll likely need.
Regards Rodders

Back