Broken wobbly stair tread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteL

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, What would be the recommendation for a cracked stair tread? It's the two treads where the stairs turn the corner (see images). If I got them out without destroying them, do you think a repair would work, or just replace them? Also any tips on creak removal for a couple of the other stairs? There are no obvious cracks - just creaky like my knees.

Cheers.

Attachments

• PXL_20230331_064446755.jpg
    PXL_20230331_064446755.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230331_064458228.jpg
    PXL_20230331_064458228.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Obviously they are quiet old and you will probably do more damage trying to remove the broken pieces. Given the age and likelihood of further issues ( the creaking you have mentioned etc) you need to gain access to the rear of the stairs -is it already exposed? If not you will need to remove any plaster or plaster board and expect lots of dust ( ppe reqd) then clean up the woodwork and hoover out any dust .get a friend to slowly walk up and down the stairs to help you identify the problem areas . The split boards can then be reinforced from underneath glue up the gaps and try to wedge the gaps closer together and allow to dry for as long as possible. For the other creaky treads you will probably find the wedges have worked loose or failed completely so again remove any dust glue and replace/ refit any loose wedges and again leave as long as possible. You may need to put in some temporary support while the glue sets . I would be careful with how much force you use due to the age range of your stairs. A pva type glue will do the job but one of these foaming type’s maybe better suited to getting into the joints . I did this for a friend many years back and used timber cut at 45deg along the length ( I think it was for flat roofs lol) but it worked. Screwed into the face of treads and risers from the outside of the staircase. Sounds like a big job but once exposed it’s fairly easy going. Good luck .

Once you get into it you'll likely find that the rest is in need of sorting .

My approach to this type of job is to remove all treads and risers, full clean up of all the surfaces and reinstall with fresh (very dry) wedges using PU adhesive.

You can get the whole flight as tight as a drum and for a added strength I will put in three or four threaded bar ties between the strings using the cast iron "hangers" from a plumber's merchant.

A couple of ratchet straps and pairs of stout screw in hooks will aid bringing the strings together while reassembling .
Cheers, Andy

Thanks for that. It's going to be difficult to get access from underneath because it has a small cupboard and a pantry that is rammed with a gas boiler and pipework. I was hoping for something quick and simple!

I had almost exactly the same problem recently. The tread had collapsed at the back. Unbelievably a previous bodger had 'fixed it' by gluing and nailing on a piece of 4mm ply. I have attached what photos I took at the time and I can't remember exactly what I did but it was al done from the top, building a support structure underneath. Solid now. I do remember getting the nosing board off was a challenge as I was working away with only a few tools with me.

Attachments

• IMG-1453.jpg
    IMG-1453.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1454.jpg
    IMG-1454.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1458.jpg
    IMG-1458.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Where access from underneath isn't a thing, your options are limited to say the least. I helped someone in just such a situation and ["P" word warning!] used pocket holes and beefy screws to good effect. The stairs were to be fully carpeted meaning large unsightly holes weren't a problem. That said, even filled and sanded, you'd still see them on painted stairs where I'd try and find another way.

After drilling some small exploratory holes to see what was / wasn't behind the treads and risers, I used the small Kregg jig to make the pockets. You can use any bit slightly larger than the screw head... and a modicum of care... to drill the pockets.

It certainly wasn't the best way of doing things but time and options were limited. That's my excuse anyway. FWIW, it's still good after 2+ years.

I had almost exactly the same problem recently. The tread had collapsed at the back. Unbelievably a previous bodger had 'fixed it' by gluing and nailing on a piece of 4mm ply. I have attached what photos I took at the time and I can't remember exactly what I did but it was al done from the top, building a support structure underneath. Solid now. I do remember getting the nosing board off was a challenge as I was working away with only a few tools with me.

Hi Stigg, That is very similar. I'll get it out and see what is underneath!

cheers

Where access from underneath isn't a thing, your options are limited to say the least. I helped someone in just such a situation and ["P" word warning!] used pocket holes and beefy screws to good effect. The stairs were to be fully carpeted meaning large unsightly holes weren't a problem. That said, even filled and sanded, you'd still see them on painted stairs where I'd try and find another way.

After drilling some small exploratory holes to see what was / wasn't behind the treads and risers, I used the small Kregg jig to make the pockets. You can use any bit slightly larger than the screw head... and a modicum of care... to drill the pockets.

It certainly wasn't the best way of doing things but time and options were limited. That's my excuse anyway. FWIW, it's still good after 2+ years.

I did see a youtube video suggesting pocket screws and some experiments. thanks, I'll give it a go.

Back