New Sharpening Stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can some body recommend a good sharpening stone for sharpening chisels and plane blades

Thank you

Greg

Try an Ezelap. Heavy steel plate (1kg or so) and a very nice storage pouch too.

Hi Greg,

There are lots of different types of sharpening stones and people tend to be very divided over which types are best. Most types will give good results and it comes down to personal preference. I use three DMT diamond stones, coarse, fine and extra fine, with WD40 or 3-in-1 oil. One advantage of diamond stones is that they stay flat.

view
[/url][/img]

I then give a final polish to the blades with a leather strop which I dress with Vaseline and jewellers rouge

view
[/url][/img]

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":x3dkumk6 said:
Hi Greg,

There are lots of different types of sharpening stones and people tend to be very divided over which types are best. Most types will give good results and it comes down to personal preference. I use three DMT diamond stones, coarse, fine and extra fine, with WD40 or 3-in-1 oil. One advantage of diamond stones is that they stay flat.

view
[/url][/img]

I then give a final polish to the blades with a leather strop which I dress with Vaseline and jewellers rouge

view
[/url][/img]

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I use the same system as Paul tho' I use a 'non-holey' fine stone (the red box) for narrow tools. I tried waterstones and for my muni they're far more trouble than they're worth so they got booted into touch a while ago and I haven't looked back since changing to the DMT diamond stones - Rob

Yes Norton India combi or similar. The only stone you need. Lots available 2nd hand ebay etc as they last forever.

cheers
Jacob
PS I meant one ofthese not Walnut's suggestion (a ludicrously over priced sharpening"system"). I wondered why he'd added a smiley he was pulling our legs!

DMT Coarse-Fine (for griding bevel)
Belgian sharpening Stone or Japanese natural Stone (for finishing bevel and microbevel).

Federico :D

Thank you everybody for your replies

A relation of mine who is a carpenter suggested a norton india stone

so i think i will get one of those

Greg

Latest posts

Back