New (old) honing guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Just spotted this
https://www.classichandtools.com/lee-valley-replica-honing-guide/p2757Smart thinking LV!
I'v always thought that this design was the only one worth having, as a training wheel for beginners aiming at the magic angle of 30º.
A few goes with this and you will be able to do it freehand and throw the gadget away.
I've got a Stanley original in a drawer somewhere.
I guess they have run out of ideas - every new design seemed worse and more expensive than the previous one, so now they are going backwards! :ROFLMAO:

I still have mine next to my oil stones. Although I consider myself proficient in freehand sharpening it only takes around ten seconds to put a 'dinked' iron into the Stanley Original so I still occasionally use it.

Perhaps they’ve seen a gap in the market, with the current ongoing obsession with old hand tools & the prices going ever higher offering a direct copy of the 1945 original seems a good idea, I presume the #50 is in short supply 🤷‍♂️
Send one Sellers & they’ll be flying off the shelves 😂

Interesting they say it is for bevel down blades. Isn’t a bevel up blade just a bevel down blade the other way up when it comes to sharpening?
My bevel up blades have more of a hole than a slot & it’s possibly wider than a slot in a bevel down blade so presumably the guide won’t fit bevel up blades.

Nice but what about chisels and blades without the slot. I guess stanley were only worried about their own blades. Bit of a one trick pony so I will stick with my old eclipse.
Regards
John

Nice but what about chisels and blades without the slot. I guess stanley were only worried about their own blades. Bit of a one trick pony so I will stick with my old eclipse.
Regards
John
I see it as a "training" device and once you've got familiar with the old 30º you don't need it and can do planes and chisels freehand.

I do most of my sharpening freehand but the jig still gets some use to restore the primary bevel. Dammit there I go sucked into a sharpening discussion.

Regards
John
🤣

Ive got a Sharpening guide ( still brand new in its packet ) and I dont even know why i bought it..... I could already make an edge cut well 😐
Its the roller type🤷‍♂️

🤣

Ive got a Sharpening guide ( still brand new in its packet ) and I dont even know why i bought it..... I could already make an edge cut well 😐
Its the roller type🤷‍♂️
We all give in to doodads that seem great at the moment, but let us wondering why we bought them! Nothing beats tried and true proven methods that are generational old.

Just purchased one of these from the Classic Tools stand at the British Hardwoods sale this morning. I watched the Worcestershire Cabinet Maker on Youtube use one and it looked so much less painful than the cheap Eclipse-style one I've been using. I'm pretty comfortable sharpening Chisels by hand, but I think this jig will speed up my plane sharpening immensely.

Bridge City Tool Works Honing Guide.
Almost 180 quid!!

I've owned cheaper cars!
Yep one before this one ive got was '£32.50' one now was £200 plus £40 for the new tow-bar fitted so thought rude not to have that also.
Amusing scrapped £32.50 it paid for new one think i just had to find £40

Anything where you can sell to the Pubic population this goes on take Mountain biking for one! they'd sell you items to fix issues they'd created so much so bike started at 10kg? by time you had a while weighed in at 20kg then went full circle they reinvented the round wheel/chainsets that Shimano pushed onto the Pubic with there Biopace nonsense which oddly they'd made a lug out on mounting arm so was in wrong place anyway to have any benefit on effort.
Then go to fishing Carpy Campers have every bell whistle squeaker you name it.Bivvi slippers.Bivvi toasters. Have all manner of stuff that we had before but there new stuff is Brilliant/must have/best seller(Box office):ROFLMAO:. while where as before we just went fishing now it's like a joint Services mission almost needing Heli/air support to drop kit in.

Bridge City Tool Works Honing Guide.
Almost 180 quid!!

I've owned cheaper cars!
I had a brown Peugeot 205 ( nicknamed the flying sh1te )
I bought it off a garage for 40 quid, with 4 months mot. It only had 1st, 3rd and 5th, but a new gear linkage from a scrap yard fixed that 🤣
It passed its next mot!
Bits used to fall off ( like the bumper and rear windscreen wiper ) and turned out to have a petrol leak near the carb. We found that out when smoke was billowing out from under the bonnet one summers day 😆 luckily it was a small fire and a bottle of water and a towel put it out.
We tried to roll it down a lane, but it just bounced off the hedge and spun around 🙃 in the end a rather large puddle in a field killed it, guess water went inside the air intake

I had a brown Peugeot 205 ( nicknamed the flying sh1te )
I bought it off a garage for 40 quid, with 4 months mot. It only had 1st, 3rd and 5th, but a new gear linkage from a scrap yard fixed that 🤣
It passed its next mot!
Bits used to fall off ( like the bumper and rear windscreen wiper ) and turned out to have a petrol leak near the carb. We found that out when smoke was billowing out from under the bonnet one summers day 😆 luckily it was a small fire and a bottle of water and a towel put it out.
We tried to roll it down a lane, but it just bounced off the hedge and spun around 🙃 in the end a rather large puddle in a field killed it, guess water went inside the air intake

I "helped" a pal out by buying his automatic Granada Ghia estate from him when he was being chased for cash by some types... I think £140 changed hands. It was a similar colour to your Peugeot, but called Antique Gold or somesuch...it had a very strange finish, like vinyl silk as opposed to gloss! It was truly horrible.
I'd just had my old parked car written off by some moron who hadn't cleared his windscreen of ice and snow, and the insurance company was playing silly ones, so it was an timely purchase for both parties.
Ugly car or no, it went like you-know-what off a shovel. Plenty of room for tackle in the back, and as long as you could put up with the curious looks, it served a purpose.
Move forward a few months, and it too got written off by yet another cretin. Exactly the same circumstances, parked outside the house, this time by a female school teacher. She managed to tail-end it good and proper, and gave it such a clout that the front end also got wiped by a street light.
Oh yes...it was a goodie.
A few weeks after getting it scrapped, I was woken up at 7 am one Sunday morning by the boys in blue - 3 at the front door, 2 at the back and a couple of cars out the front. I wasn't getting out of that house!
"Registered owner of it?"
"Had been, but scrapped"
"Got the paperwork?"
Thankfully, yes.
Turned out that the Granada's plates had been switched to some other vehicle which had been involved in a few ram raids in Leeds, and caught on CCTV!

Mind you, if they seriously thought a crim would use his own car and plates, the cops couldn't be too bright 🤔
One of my neighbours at a previous address, had a seat ibiza which had a missing front bumber and minor damage to a wing.... she had it parked in her space in front of her garage.
One day there was a knock on my door and a copper asking if we'd seen anyone stealing the ibiza. ( we hadnt ) Turned out one of our other neighbours, an old guy late 80s, got fed up of seeing it, so he called a scappy and sold it for 50 quid 🤣😆

I also owned a old Volvo 340 at one time....my God, that was almost not a car, if you see what I mean.
There was always something weird about it, although it managed to get through a few MOTs in my care.
Someone once commented that it had got the wrong size tyres on it - maybe right, I can't remember now - but one of its curiosities was the revelation that it was only 38 miles between Sheffield and York, via the M18 and A1. (Look it up!)
I remember driving out to a job, getting as far as a place called Killamarsh - I'd noticed that it seemed a bit more sluggish than usual, and had just decided to pull in to the next garage, when BANG...and the car lurched to one side.
The handbrake had seized on, rear left. The wheel hadn't turned since leaving home I guess, and was literally down to the metal mesh....not a scrap of tyre left where it had dragged on the road.
Worse yet, the heat that had generated had managed to seize the wheel nuts, and I had to ask another motorist to help get the wheel off!

Back