New MFT 'square' from Benchdogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like another quality item from Benchdogs, surprised it has taken them this long to get one to market, for sheet goods they can be handy and but I think they are aimed for repetition whereas for a few cuts a rail square can do it just as easy. I must admit I am trying not to collect too many tools that basically all achieve the same end result, space and cost ! Be interesting to see the price for one of these and it looks like you also need there fence and stops t make full use.

Looks like another quality item from Benchdogs, surprised it has taken them this long to get one to market, for sheet goods they can be handy and but I think they are aimed for repetition whereas for a few cuts a rail square can do it just as easy. I must admit I am trying not to collect too many tools that basically all achieve the same end result, space and cost ! Be interesting to see the price for one of these and it looks like you also need there fence and stops t make full use.
You echo my thoughts @Spectric ! £150 'ish.

Maybe it was just the way he was holding/supporting the rails when the rails were hinged upwards, but it looked like the rail wouldn't stay up on it's own....The original Festool one does!
That would annoy me, as when you're changing from one piece of material to the next one, you would need to keep one hand to support the rail....??!!
Or am I wrong?...

I haven't watched the video yet,
Maybe it was just the way he was holding/supporting the rails when the rails were hinged upwards, but it looked like the rail wouldn't stay up on it's own....The original Festool one does!
That would annoy me, as when you're changing from one piece of material to the next one, you would need to keep one hand to support the rail....??!!
Or am I wrong?...

I haven't watched the video yet, but the Dash-Board guide rail bracket doesn't hold the rail up either. At one time, Rob wrote he would work on a modification to hold the rail, but I haven't seen anything yet and don't have any expectations that a modification could be applied to mine. I use a low-tech method to overcome this and prop up the rail with a stick while I change or reposition the material.

£150 for what is in essence a fancy hinge, I suppose it is a case of are the time savings worth the cash, if you cut a lot of sheet goods with lots of same size parts then maybe it will be "can't do without" .

I am trying to think of other uses apart from the track saw and thought of the router sled, cutting housings and rebates then it could help because you only need to move your work forward and not re-align the track. Then another way to look at it is you can easily spend £150 on food and that may be enjoyable but once eaten and discharged is never seen again, so it could be an investment!

Correction, it is £150 plus P&P plus VAT so £192, Just got a flyer in my inbox and the carrot has been dangled, only 100 sets initially. Luckily they do not do Paypal so the carrot can dangle longer!

I ummed and ahhed when I got the email today then went back to it at 6pm and the first batch of 100 was sold out. I was also concerned about having to support the track and also, with it being a new development, a Mk11 would soon be released. At first glance it looks well made, not as nicely finished as the Dash-Board, but a little cheaper. I think I'll wait now until a review or two appears on YouTube.

Couple of general comments. It’s a rail hinge, not a square, and the Benchdogs video is a demo of a prototype in raw aluminium; the finished item will be anodised with all the usual laser etching etc…

Pricing at £192 inc VAT and delivered it sits squarely between the pressed steel Festool OEM at ~£110 (requires a Festool MFT, Festool extrusion, or adapted IKEA curtain track) and the Dashboard set at ~£285 delivered to the UK, including import duty. The Dashboard set can fit either Festool extrusion, or regular t-track, but you need to choose one at the time or ordering.

The Dashboard hinge set I have will hold the rail upright with no problem, and I’d be astounded if the benchdogs set didn’t also do this - it’s a fundamental requirement, IMHO.

Both the Festool OEM and Dashboard hinges require a full MFT, or at least a framework with t-track attached, to function; the Benchdogs set is the only one that will attach to the surface of the MFT top, so makes a hinge system an option to anyone working off an MFT top or MFT slab - very popular with installers - and as you’d expect it integrates well with the Benchdogs fence system.

That’s as much as I know for sure; mine should be arriving this coming week, and I’ll have my initial thoughts out as soon as I can. HTH P

Since the fence uses the dog holes, from a newbie point of view (me) it looks good as there is little faffing around with the squareness of the fence. Having said that seldom do I have to adjust my fessy MFT

the Benchdogs set is the only one that will attach to the surface of the MFT top
Will this not reduce the maximum usable width of a workpiece for a given width of worktop? The mechanism sits on the top surface.

I think this will appeal to many but to me it is a bit like Tesco's, it is available but a lot of alternatives that may suit your needs better.

From the video, unsure about the 'gap' under the track, how big it is, what impact it might have, not holding the work piece?
I'd be interested to hear what you think of this aspect Peter.
Yes, that’s something I’ll be looking at. My understanding is that the minimum rail height is 6mm off the surface as the hinge is surface mounted. If you wanted to cut something thinner than that, then a 6mm spoilerboard to pack out the height would be an easy solution. Also forgot to mention that the Benchdogs hinge has presets for material thicknesses; again, interested to see how that works in practice when the hinge is up against a wall, for example. 👍

From the video, unsure about the 'gap' under the track, how big it is, what impact it might have, not holding the work piece?
I'd be interested to hear what you think of this aspect Peter.

I think the reduced height fence is 10mm high if my memory serves.....I was looking at the BenchDogs fence system just the other day.

Edit.
You think 6mm Peter...?
I must have misread the specification!

Edit 2.
I did misread the spec,.....its actually 9mm high. I just checked.

Last edited:
Will this not reduce the maximum usable width of a workpiece for a given width of worktop? The mechanism sits on the top surface.

I think this will appeal to many but to me it is a bit like Tesco's, it is available but a lot of alternatives that may suit your needs better.
Yes, as does the Benchdogs fence. For a deeper crosscut you can always turn the MFT top ’portrait’ instead of ‘landscape’, but yes, the reduced capacity in ‘normal’ landscape orientation is also something I’ll be looking at closely. 👍

I'm not in the market for one and certainly wouldn't pay the best part of 200 quid for it but was interested to see what it's all about, however... I turned the video off after a very short time due to the insanely distracting background music, I wanted to hear what he was saying not the carp in the background.

I use an MFT top on a couple of trestles and I also have a couple of BD items (which I like). I find this item to be very interesting and I shall sit on the fence (not a BD one) to watch developments. Who knows...this could develop into a Christmas present...(make a change from socks).

This got me thinking, based on the idea of the Incra positioner plate which Dennis from hooked on wood made as part of his bench build then why not something similar that has a hinge arrangement and microjig slots to hold the rail to it. This way it saves cash and gets the grey mater working plus you can say you made it.

again, interested to see how that works in practice when the hinge is up against a wall, for example. 👍
<grin/> you and your 'wall' issues! How about cutting a hole in the MFT in which to sit the hinge? Still need
to deal with the 'tail' on the wall side?
... I won't suggest a hole in the wall ;-)

Back