Woodpeckers v benchdogs T-square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all.

I’m considering buying one of the above. Both look really well made and will hopefully last a long time if not a life time. Has anyone got either of these? Any opinions on either? I know there are similar offerings to the woodpecker on banggood etc but are these well made or are the woodpeckers/benchdogs worth the extra. I’m not normally extravagant but I have a little bit of money from a big birthday recently, still ideally waiting for a flash sale though!!

Cheers
Pete

If you want quality and precision then Banggood is probably not what you want, if buying something that can be set to a measurement to deliver repeat marks or settings then yes these asian goods are ok, I brought some rulers with chunky stops and they are great for repeat settings but not for any accurate measurements. Both the ones you mention will be well engineered and precise so not an easy decision and in an ideal world it would be great to see them side by side and to actually handle them.

I have the 500mm Banggood version, and it is perfectly square.

My rationale here, since I much prefer purchasing from locals (but none of these manufacturers are local for me as I am in Oz), is that they are all machined with CNC equipment. It comes down to, then, how accurately the machines are set up. What you end up paying for is a name and CS. The Banggood version is about a quarter of the price of the others.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I bought the 300, 400 and 760 T and am now ordering the Woodpeckers 600 (I considered the Benchdogs but just don’t like the look of it compared to the Woodpeckers).

The 300 is okay, 400 not 100% accurate, the 760 is off by over a mm by the end of it. If you can’t rely on your measuring tools, then they are no good to me. Funnily enough the 600mm square I have from them is perfect as are many other tools I have had from them. Luck of the draw, but I am done with risking it.

If anyone wants a 760mm T that isn’t straight, let me know 🤣.

IMG_5600.jpeg

I have the Woodpeckers 600 T Square and the 300 set square along with the MDF storage boxes that they came with, hanging on the wall in my workshop.
They are my go to squares when marking out larger projects and are spot on accurate.

Incidentally, I've also got a smaller pair of iGaging squares that I use on smaller projects and they are also spot on accurate.
For some reason, I assumed they were also made in the USA like the Woodpeckers tools,.....but they were actually made in China.
I would put them on a par regarding their quality & accuracy.

I bought the 300, 400 and 760 T and am now ordering the Woodpeckers 600 (I considered the Benchdogs but just don’t like the look of it compared to the Woodpeckers).

The 300 is okay, 400 not 100% accurate, the 760 is off by over a mm by the end of it. If you can’t rely on your measuring tools, then they are no good to me. Funnily enough the 600mm square I have from them is perfect as are many other tools I have had from them. Luck of the draw, but I am done with risking it.

View attachment 164460

u probably

View attachment 164460
You probably can't be pineappled with the faff. Have you tried squaring them up? They are adjustable aren't they?
I too have their 600 square and surprisingly it's dead square.

You probably can't be pineappled with the faff. Have you tried squaring them up? They are adjustable aren't they?
I too have their 600 square and surprisingly it's dead square.
No adjustment on them. There are 4 screws, but always locate back to the same location. In any every, the long red part is actually not straight! Against my benchdogs 1m rule, it tapers away.....

The benchdog ones are great. Well made and precise
I have a lot of your products from the fence system to the quad hinge and quad dogs. All very high quality.

Maybe you can confirm that the T Squares are really sturdy? Being completely honest, in the photos it just doesn't look as sturdy as the Woodpeckers. Would much prefer to support a UK company (y)

Thanks
BigDean.

I have a 600mm Chinese one, and it is as accurate and square as I can measure. Cost less than £30 delivered. I also bought a pocket one that I keep on me at all times, and that is also square. I personally don't like paying for the name etched onto a product.

Please excuse me Peter, I don't wish to dissuade anyone from buying, (I have bought very recently from you, so no issues on that front) but perhaps I'm being dense and sound like Jacob (no offense) but can someone explain to me what a T square at these insane prices offers in woodworking, so you mark a line then you need to cut to it, do you use some other means to assist in cutting, such as a track saw, sliding carriage saw, or on table saw with an edge running against the fence, or a good old handsaw and shoot to the line, please enlighten me, in case I have been missing out on something all this time that I never knew I needed, [I have a range of squares that more than suffice that cost me no more than £35.00]

Please excuse me Peter, I don't wish to dissuade anyone from buying, (I have bought very recently from you, so no issues on that front) but perhaps I'm being dense and sound like Jacob (no offense) but can someone explain to me what a T square at these insane prices offers in woodworking, so you mark a line then you need to cut to it, do you use some other means to assist in cutting, such as a track saw, sliding carriage saw, or on table saw with an edge running against the fence, or a good old handsaw and shoot to the line, please enlighten me, in case I have been missing out on something all this time that I never knew I needed, [I have a range of squares that more than suffice that cost me no more than £35.00]
Well in my case the 760mm china T square is inaccurate. If I was to build a custom cabinet that is not the correct dimensions, I don’t think the customer would be happy. To some people being a mm or 2 out might not be important, but to me it is everything. A straight line from a track saw is no good if it isn’t the right dim.

Last edited:
Well in my case the 720mm china T square is inaccurate. If I was to build a custom cabinet that is not the correct dimensions, I don’t think the customer would be happy. To some people being a mum or 2 out might not be important, but to me it is everything. A straight line from a track saw is no good if it isn’t the right dim.
I've lost count of the number of cabinets, carcasses, cupboards, bookshelves, fitted furniture pieces, joinery etc In all my years of making, but not had the need for a £200.00 Square.

I've lost count of the number of cabinets, carcasses, cupboards, bookshelves, fitted furniture pieces, joinery etc In all my years of making, but not had the need for a £200.00 Square.
Maybe I am making up for my bad workmanship then by wanting the best tools? A biscuit joiner would suffice but I love my Domino;)

And don’t even get me started about my Shaper Origin. :love:

Last edited:
Back