Benchdogs MFT hinge system + forum deal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Benchdogs offer this jig to accurately align the 20mm holes for the hinge, front and back.
Unless you're drilling lots, it's likely that most of use will use this once then let it gather dust
and at £42 that's a bit of a waste (to a Yorkshireman).

If anyone has one (gathering dust or otherwise) would they be prepared to 'pass it on'
at an appropriate cost?
Struck me that Benchdogs might do this? Sell at £42 then buy back (immaculate nick) at 32 etc.

Just a thought.

If you have the Parf guide system then that allows you to drill holes at 32 and 48 mm. To use 20mm holes to align the parf sticks you will need these

https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-...7359?queryID=8b294713fed9c8a89a74b9d7fe4fe793
Struck me that Benchdogs might do this

A similar arrangement is done when you buy a cast iron radiator over a certain length, it is supplied in two halves that you have to assemble. This involves a special box spanner to do the connecting nuts up with which they take a deposit and once you have done the job return it.

Rather than expect Benchdogs to loan this jig, maybe something could be arranged amongst forum members if anyone has one they are willing to loan out for a price and postage.

If you have the Parf guide system then that allows you to drill holes at 32 and 48 mm. To use 20mm holes to align the parf sticks you will need these

Rather than expect Benchdogs to loan this jig, maybe something could be arranged amongst forum members if anyone has one they are willing to loan out for a price and postage.
No, I never saw the logic in the parf system, even more expensive than the jig?

Agreed, if any members have the jig.

No, I never saw the logic in the parf system, even more expensive than the jig?

Agreed, if any members have the jig.
Depends on how many tops you get through. The parf system is great for making multiple precision tops or custom tops of different sizes.
This might also be the reason to own the benchdogs tool as you need to put the hinge on new tops as you cut them up.
I look at an MFT top as sacrificial

Depends on how many tops you get through. The parf system is great for making multiple precision tops or custom tops of different sizes.
This might also be the reason to own the benchdogs tool as you need to put the hinge on new tops as you cut them up.
I look at an MFT top as sacrificial
Agreed, for those who use them as that. I tend to look after the tops, hence my request.

Back