UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thus far I have gotten four of my health proffesionals to back my love of beer for just those reasons. Part of the neverending mantra for the prostate challenged is to get a load of fluids and to eject same with vigour. Just so nobody thinks I spend every waking moment bombed , I drink more tea than beer and more coffee than tea. But it is fun to turn to the wife and say " see hun , doctors orders".

Hi all , That was a good chuckle this morning, I got the pint reference only from the "bitters", I do have a valid question though, "how does one do anything productive after a couple of pints", cause it doesn't seem to work for me. I liked the quote about 2 peoples separated by a common language, it has long been a favorite, about being a yank we stop by now and then to see if we can help rid you of the evil metric system, someone stuck you blokes with, I just know you would love such measures as, 1/32, 1/6, 1/8, and so on, they even translate well, speck, hair, touch, see. Enjoy your weekend. Jamey :)

Some of us that are old enough, can still use such measures :) though getting rid of pounds, shillings and pence was a great blessing?

I've just had surgery that results in me having to drink copious amounts of fluids and salt to prevent dehydration and I can confirm that what goes in has to come out - a real nuisance at times! Not lots beer or alcohol though. :)

Rod

Hi ST

Its funny about the metric system. Everyone of my age (early 50's) or older tends to pick n mix the two because we all grew up with imperial and then had to suffer the agony of trying to change. So in a nut shell , certainly for me, I think in imperial for most things (distance, weight, volume) but always come back to mm for fine granularity of measurement. That is particularly true when working with wood stock sizes of less than a foot. I'm quite happy thinking in 6mm, 12.7mm, 19mm and 25mm as my equivalents of nominal stock thicknesses but there is no way on Gods green earth I could call a 4x2 (2x4 for you :)) .......a 100mm by 50mm...I mean....no way :)

And if I buy sheet goods....they're 8x4 obviously and not some ludicrously high quantity of mm.

On the issue of remaining useful after two pints. I find I can get a good extra yard out of a projectile vomit on a good day :)
Have a good weekend matey.

Self Taught":31dvgsv0 said:
Hi all , That was a good chuckle this morning, I got the pint reference only from the "bitters", I do have a valid question though, "how does one do anything productive after a couple of pints", cause it doesn't seem to work for me. I liked the quote about 2 peoples separated by a common language, it has long been a favorite, about being a yank we stop by now and then to see if we can help rid you of the evil metric system, someone stuck you blokes with, I just know you would love such measures as, 1/32, 1/6, 1/8, and so on, they even translate well, speck, hair, touch, see. Enjoy your weekend. Jamey :)

But you lot don't use proper imperial - what about yards and stones? Your pint is wrong as well! :lol:
I forgot hundredweights. :)

Nick Gibbs":13jwvwtg said:
Random Orbital Bob":13jwvwtg said:
It's 4"x2" not 2"x4"

Is that officially so? On what grounds? I'm sure you're right, just never thought about it before.
I've not read all the posts, so may be repeating what somebody else has said, but yes, it is the convention here in the UK to list dimensions in that order, although perhaps not "official". However, if the convention isn't followed all it does is cause confusion and leads to errors. Therefore the convention in the UK for listing dimensions is always length X width X thickness, with length indication the direction of the long grain, hence some plywood is listed as, for example, 1220 X 2440 X 18 mm, indicating the long grain runs in the 1220 dimension. Similarly a carcase side might be listed 200 X 650 X 20 mm, and the top listed as 1000 X 650 X 20 mm: these sorts of dimensions might be seen in some desk configurations where a shallow box sits on top of legs, and lots of space below the box.

Woodworkers also follow the convention of using metres and millimetres (an engineering standard I believe), and centimetres are shunned, which is just as well as they're a pain in the pants! Slainte.

Self Taught":2j7s178n said:
I am just getting in to old wooden hand planes and there isn't a lot about them on the forums over here (U.S.), so I ended up here, Jamey
There's plenty of hand tool discussions at WoodCentral, including discussions on wooden hand planes from time to time. You might try introducing yourself to users there at the following link. I admit that I sometimes post there, although I'm not into the collecting thing at all. I'm a tool user, not a collector. Slainte.
http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/ ... ndtools.pl

Welcome Self taught.
I have just joined the Festool owners group forum and they are just as helpfull on that site as this one. It seems we have 2 things in common " wood and filler ! "
I have been a bench joiner for over 30 years and still learning.
Okay I have to go and sort out the over hand planer or should that be "jointer"
Mick

Back