UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Self Taught

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I am new to your site, my name is Jamey, and as stated I am a self taught woodworker. I use both power and hand tools, I started working with wood, when I was about 10 yrs. old, as my parents purchased an old New England farm house, that needed much work, the house is circa 1850, I loved the past 45 yrs. working on it and learning a lot. I am looking forward to learning a lot here. I am just getting in to old wooden hand planes and there isn't a lot about them on the forums over here (U.S.), so I ended up here, am going to sit on the side lines for a wile as I need to find a good conversion site, to help me with the metric measures. Thanks Jamey

Hi Jamey,
Welcome. Lots of good info on this forum. As Steve says, both Imperial and metric are used. As a general rule the older generation think Imperial first while the younger members tend to think Metric first.
Cheers,
John

Welcome Jamey

Imperial for things longer than a ruler and mm for shorter :) Unless its 2" in which case imperial....oh and 4"

Also, the only forum rule....if you start a thread about sharpening, regrettably it carries the death penalty :)

Welcome, Jamey. Good to hear from people your side of the Pond interested in wooden planes.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I can assure all members there will be no sharpening, witch table saw, or the ever popular, "what's the best", I would rather be boiled in oil then get involved those. Hope all had a good day. Jamey

SteveF":1fltcb45 said:
Welcome to the forum

we use metric & imperial at the same time here :D

Steve

I quoted a customer only today for an 8ft x 1920mm sheet ! :) he didn't bat an eye and knew exactly what I was saying.

Welcome, please don't worry and dive straight in.

Most of us on here swing both ways :wink:

When I bought my float glass I asked the shop for 1 metre x 5 inches and that's what I got.

phil.p":qpcczwzl said:
Centimetres are the work of the devil, and you should be hung, drawn and quartered for even mentioning them! :)

& eighth sixteenth and thirty-seconded ..thats gotta hurt :)

Steve

phil.p":1po3dy9l said:
Centimetres are the work of the devil, and you should be hung, drawn and quartered for even mentioning them! :)

phil,,, thank you,, your talk of "work of the devil" reminded me I have some pictures to upload.

Random Orbital Bob":1u6qmui6 said:
It's 4"x2" not 2"x4"

Is that officially so? On what grounds? I'm sure you're right, just never thought about it before.

Other very useful technical measurement terms include:

A gnats tadger!
You could get a double decker bus under there!
A hair
Its p-i-s-s-e-d
That's not going in that mortise as long as there's a hole in my a - -
Just wave the plane at it and it'll go in
That's one thump away from fitting

Random Orbital Bob":3oa4c7tu said:
Other very useful technical measurement terms include:

A gnats tadger!
You could get a double decker bus under there!
A hair
Its p-i-s-s-e-d
That's not going in that mortise as long as there's a hole in my a - -
Just wave the plane at it and it'll go in
That's one thump away from fitting
Bob, they made me chuckle, I remember them all being followed soon afterwards by, You won"t see it once it"s painted.

Back