New Member Saying Hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjohn60

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a few sentences to introduce myself to the community here.

I'm a bit of a newbie with regard to workshop machinery, so have found the forum invaluable in putting together the tools for a small workshop. I'm working on a very restricted budget but so far have managed to accumulate the following based mostly on what I've read here:

Inca 205 Bandsaw (£90 from that auction site and has cleaned up like new) Replaced bearings and made lignum vitae guide blocks and had a real good fiddle setting it up properly!

Bosch POF50 Router (£40 from same place) 20 years old but brand new in box!

Sealey SM1311 Planer/Thicknesser (£160 same place) brand new and never used.

Charnwood Router Table (£30 same place} Not great I know but brand new and will do for now.

Set of double glazed patio doors to section off part of the garage for the workshop (£12 same place bargain!)

Axminster AWFS 18 Scrollsaw (same place but still negotiating as pcb board needs replacing)

I've also bought a SIP T1000 dust extraction unit from the same place for the absolute bargain price of £25!!! It's brand new and boxed and the seller has more than 10 available. I don't want anybody to think I'm spamming, or to break any rules with my first post but would like to pass on a bit of luck to anyone else here who's looking for a dust filter. If you search for T1000 Air Filter you'll find the buy it now listing. It's identical to the microclene unit that sells for about £170

I'm now looking for a mini wood lathe (considering the proxxon), a mini drill press or stand, (proxxon again perhaps) bench sander, dolls house router bits, plywood and timber to build the wall across the garage, insulation material, solid worktop or bench etc etc etc. And then I have to sort out all the stuff in the garage to make room for it all!

And all because my other half said to me 'You could make some dolls house furniture' What I haven't told her about yet are my plans for Ukulele's, Mandolins and one day I hope, guitars made from the finest, rare, exotic tonewoods I can find!

I'm in Rochester, in what used to be the garden of England and daresay I'll be posting again soon enough for help with something or other.

All the best.

Phil

Welcome!

Those little Bosch routers are really handy. I've had its younger relation, the POF500 for getting on for 20 years now, and recently upgraded it with the POF600 (varispeed), from the same 'place' you got yours!

On the scrollsaw, Axminster are usually very helpful regarding spares - have you given them a call? They have most instruction manuals as PDFs on their web site too, but in my experience they can quickly find the right part number. It shouldn't be too expensive.

Anyway, it sounds like you'll fit right in here!

E.

I'm a newbie myself- down the road in Gillingham. If you're interested in Proxxon have a look in Johnsons (?) hardware shop on ye olde high street, they usually had a selection.

Thanks for the welcome chaps.

I spoke to a techie at Axminster (very helpful) and the replacement board is £83 - unfortunately the seller would be too much out of pocket so he's asked that I return the saw at his expense and I'll get a full refund. No harm done but unfortunately I now have to look for a reolacement. Either a Hegner variable speed or another AWFS18. Shame we can't get those Dewalt saws over here as they seem to be the business.

I like the feel of the little router and I'm sure it will be just the ticket for the miniatures I'll be making. I've checked out the thread regarding the DIY fine height adjuster for it too and that will be modded as soon as I'm up and running. Variable speed would have been nice but a steady 26,000 should be OK for what I have in mind.

I may well take my life in my hands and venture down ye high street for a gander at the Proxxon gear. It seems quite expensive for what it is but you don't see much coming onto the market second hand, so someone must be liking it. I'm only looking to turn tiny spindles and finials etc so dont need anything heavy duty and space is a bit of a premium too. Perhaps I'll see if I can get any feedback from the turning forum.

The one thing that's really suprised me so far is how an initial idea of making a few bits and pieces on the kitchen worktop has spiralled out of control. The obscure sciences of dust/chip extraction, electrical circuits and garage lighting are certainly weighing heavy on my mind at the moment! Little did I realise when buying a few bit's of Irish Bog Oak and Burr Elm, that I'd be sliding down such a slippery slope!

I have only one thing made by Proxxon: their small mains Dremel-like tool (chuck, not collet):

It's been brilliant. The previous B+D one I had caught fire in my hand (entertaining!). The Proxxon is well made and does the job without fuss. It came with some really tiny drills too - 0.5mm I think, possibly smaller still. My only frustration is that the blown plastic case (I note they still supply it!) is really silly - you can never fit all the mains cable and a UK mains plug inside - but the tool itself is very good.

HTH,

E.

@Philjohn60:

Welcome to the forum. I haven't been here so long myself but have always found it a really very valubale resource. Loads of people on here have both the knowledge and the interest to provide all sorts of help and advise "without stint"!

Yes, I'm pretty similar to you as I also started out with the idea of "making some stuff" and have found out that the slope is indeed pretty steep (but exciting at the same time - if for no other reason than it's fun trying to work out ways to smuggle the latest goody past "'er indoors"!

I'm also similar to you as I was born not all that far away from you (Dartford) and went to school in Chatam at one time - but haven't lived in UK for yonks now so I'm sure lots have changed.

Good luck & Happy Easter (it's snowing here - again!).
AES

Thanks Eric - I have an older Dremel knocking about somewhere but have read some pretty unflattering reviews of their drill stands. I don't think the Dremel will fit in the Proxxon stand (much better reviews) so in all probability this is going on my shopping list.

Thanks AES - You would not believe just how much it's changed here! Chatham (like many places) is totally unrecognisable from what it was like not so many years ago. The High Street is not a very nice place to be, unless you like bad language, fierce dogs, drugs, strong lager straight from the can and enjoy speaking African, Russian, Romanian and just about every language in between. The bottom of the multicultural melting pot I'm afraid. It keeps snowing here too so no need to hanker for home!

Back