New Mafell router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes it better than the others ? I use a 1/4 Bosch GOF600 which works well with the rails using an FC tools adaptor, which also allows me to use a Trend T10 on a track as well.
Well the build quality is there and off the rail the Bosch has a very small footprint, so stability isn't good, especially when edging. Hand hold on the Bosch isnt that great imho, plus your fingers are nowhere near the on/off whereas the Festool has a handle with an easy to get to trigger switch.
The Bosch is constant single speed, which isn't that good, especially for larger cutters(No we arent talking huge cutters) because different diameter cutters require different speeds.

But in all honesty you cannot really compare a trimming router to a versatile 1/4" router just because both have a 1/4" collet.

On a personal note I do not like routers that have a poky out handle, it's like having a bicycle with offset handlebars .

Maybe because it's what I'm used to but I really like the pokey out handle style, great for single handed use.

It's a shame Mafell don't do a Plug-it version of all their tools that is compatible with Festool leads, I think a lot of people would choose that option.

Hi Doug I just find two stubby handles close to the body gives me a nice hold and good control, never thought of single handed use though especially with a 1/2 inch router. Makes you wonder how fitting a plunge bar might give better control,

As for the plug in cables, I think these are like marmite where some love them and others don't. I suppose if you have a bench setup like Pete Millard then it might have advantages but for me it was just something to misplace.

Well the build quality is there and off the rail the Bosch has a very small footprint, so stability isn't good, especially when edging.
Until you fit one of FC tools bases ! It is a good little router the only thing missing is speed control but then you dont use large cutters.

This one slides on a track

1684571536859.png

this one gives the extra stability

1684571599355.png

Until you fit one of FC tools bases ! It is a good little router the only thing missing is speed control but then you dont use large cutters.
Didnt say it wasnt a good router...sorry...trimmer. But fit those extra bases is what, another £170, just to get the same features that come with the Festool.

Last edited:
Maybe because it's what I'm used to but I really like the pokey out handle style, great for single handed use.

It's a shame Mafell don't do a Plug-it version of all their tools that is compatible with Festool leads, I think a lot of people would choose that option.
I prefer the gun style grips as I find them easier to control; especially going round corners and anything involving a holy rail.

The 2nd point about plug-it compatibility, even Festool don't get it right across the range (hello HL850!) but it's a godsend if you're invested in their system. With a cord fitted to the hose it makes life that much easier. I fitted a plug-it connector to the MT55 which is good but not as nice as plugging directly into the tool.

As for the FC bases... I have their wide trimmer base for the cordless Makita. It's great having a little somewhere to press down on. Their rail base is a tad hopeful IMO as Makita already sell their own rail adapter for way less and it has an adjustable outrigger foot for stability and the distance from the rail is adjustable. It, like the Festool ones, also works as a stabiliser on the flat. This may be particular to the Makita.

It's great having a little somewhere to press down on.
Thats how I use my GKF600 with just a base, much easier to hold and move at the bottom and a lot of the time that method also works when I have the plunge base attached.

The FC32 adapter is the one I like as it glides along the rail nicely, and if you have drilled the rail like the LR32 system then you can use it to make MFT tops like Pete Millard.

Makita already sell their own rail adapter for way less and it has an adjustable outrigger foot for stability
It is plastic though.

I hadn't seen this before - thanks for posting it.
Many useful features in this.
The lever bit change is made me think of high speed spindles with an auto changer and a pull stud on the back of their taper tooling.
Personally I don't like the big side handle on a router - anything that moves your point of grip away from the spindle axis increases the chance that i'll tip the tool, but that aside, this is good and stuff full of innovation.
NMA Agencies have been around for plenty of years and I've found them helpful. No concerns at all on that score.

Ironically from the discussion on FOG, someone said "List price is £675 or €778"
Basic package is €649 + USt at 19% in Germany last time I was reading about it and on the market in September as far as I recall. Imagine £675/700 will get it into the workshop.

Personally I don't like the big side handle on a router - anything that moves your point of grip away from the spindle axis increases the chance that i'll tip the tool,
Nicely put, same reason as to why I also don't like them as with two equally spaced handles you have a balanced tool.

With the extended handle you often have one hand on the handle and the other on the router base or the base and work piece so there is no chance of tipping.

If you look at the Festool parallel guide it has a knob on it so when using that you often hold the handle on the router and the knob on the guide pushing it to the work piece, you actually feel more connected and in control than just holding the router with two hands.

With the extended handle you often have one hand on the handle and the other on the router base or the base and work piece so there is no chance of tipping.

If you look at the Festool parallel guide it has a knob on it so when using that you often hold the handle on the router and the knob on the guide pushing it to the work piece, you actually feel more connected and in control than just holding the router with two hands.
Completely agree Doug the other added bonus of the pistol grip is your index finger is controlling the power switch just like when using a drill so way more responsive & safer than routers with switches not on the handles.

:)
Using the router, I'll have one or both thumbs hooked over the knobs with the heel of my hand almost rubbing on the surface of the work once plunged. This is a very low C of G position that I find stable - hands a maybe 2" lower than they would be holding the mafell as it's designed. Plunge lock is a simple twist of the knob. Power switch on the opposite side is just a flick up with the thumb.
Routing freehand curves or simply taking multiple passes to work towards a line i'll often use one of the two hands as a pivot point and move the router in arcs with the other. The symmetry of a traditional router works well for me.
I'd like to try this format with the guide rail though.

Warning Elf and Safety alert!🤪😂
Imagine putting your hand so close to any other rotating tool without the world getting really excited about push sticks, guards etc…..never mind ‘giving likes’!
I also pop my hand on the base, a couple of centimetres away from the blade, closer than I ever would in my wildest darkest dreams do if it were my spindle moulder. Isn’t life weird!

Surely, the statistics would show that the percentage of accidents involving hand held routers would be extremely low, due to the fact that the cutting blade is so enclosed whilst doing its job.
The chances of anyone actually putting their finger close enough to touch the rotating cutter during use, must be very,very slim.

I speak from experience of using many hand held routers for over 40 years....

Used in a router table,.....that's a different matter!

when I fi®st looked at the photo I thought it was from Temu......
all that carpy plastic......cheap looking switch buttons...wont say anything about the plastic depth gauge/guide.....

I earn my living with spanners and a few seconds to use em makes no difference when changing a bit.......
Nah, I'll not be swopping my Hitachi's for that .....
ps.... I do have the odd Festool but then they were tax deductable and they aren't that special *for the price* either.....
if I remember, the 2 new Hitachi M12V's were around £350 each, twenty odd years ago....
done loads'a work and never needed any repairs yet....
the worst router I have is a small dewalt...would have been better buying something from B+Q at the time....

I had a good look at the little Mafell router at the Harrogate show today and it really is a well designed tool, very user friendly.

There is a lot of plastic on it (even the copy rings) but they assured me that it's all more than up to the job and I don't doubt it.

Latest posts

Back