Virutex Doweling Machine AB200 TWOO

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skottex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello I just saw that Virutex Released A Doweling machine similar to the Mafell DDF/DD 40.
179.jpg

At first glance it looks less refined than the Mafell but, knowing that Virutex is a reputable company, the tool will be for sure at professional grade quality.
Pricewise it fits exactly between the Mafell/Festool domino and the cheap Triton.
I know that is a pretty new tool but did any of you had chance to see it/use it or knows of any review?

Thank you.

Hello I just saw that Virutex Released A Doweling machine similar to the Mafell DDF/DD 40.
View attachment 163763

At first glance it looks less refined than the Mafell but, knowing that Virutex is a reputable company, the tool will be for sure at professional grade quality.
Pricewise it fits exactly between the Mafell/Festool domino and the cheap Triton.
I know that is a pretty new tool but did any of you had chance to see it/use it or knows of any review?

Thank you.
Hello woodworkers,
My intention is or was to clarify about Virutex AB200 Dowler (Doweller), that is if I eventually be able to get one imported etc... long story...

Here's their video
But we are in a bit of discussion on the subject of MFU, if you'd like to have a look at:
Lamello vs Festool Domino XL DF 700 | Mafell Users Forum
and
New cordless duo doweller | Mafell Users Forum

Fingers crossed, I'll be able to get one one way ot the other, test it and post back here and everywhere what I think of it... perhaps will make a quick vid or something, but that's not a guaranteed promise ;)
onwards and upwards,
Cheers!

Well for me I will stick with the Dowelmax and Jessem dowelling solutions, on watching that video my first thoughts went straight to alignment but then they have this

1700656392143.png
that would be great on the 700 Domino.

Well for me I will stick with the Dowelmax and Jessem dowelling solutions, on watching that video my first thoughts went straight to alignment but then they have this

View attachment 170405that would be great on the 700 Domino.
Those are for the setting certain distances for the rows of fittings, the advantage of Dowler (Doweller) is to have couple of dowels on each end of unit quickly, that's what it is meant and will do.
Perhaps importantly at least this one is made out of metal, unlike those clips on DFF40... PLASTIC... yes, almost £1k Mafell and set rod is held by plastic clips!....
As it comes to the AB200, seems my "persistence and harassment" of Virutex suppliers worldwide is going to pay off, I am promised to have one allocated-shipped for me very soon, sooner than new shipments are meant to happen mid December (for retailers) :D :D :D

I know, I'm going to hell, but at least, I'll be laughing all the way over!

Perhaps importantly at least this one is made out of metal, unlike those clips on DFF40... PLASTIC... yes, almost £1k Mafell and set rod is held by plastic clips!....
Yes many of the attachments on the festool xl700 are also plastic, you do not expect bits of cheap plastic on tools in this price range or to have to buy aftermarket accessories like the domiplate to try and improve things.

Yes many of the attachments on the festool xl700 are also plastic, you do not expect bits of cheap plastic on tools in this price range or to have to buy aftermarket accessories like the domiplate to try and improve things.

.... my heart WAS set on DF500, not DF700, but at the same time, it's my "underdog supporter" made me buy Virutex AB200 (corded)...

Happening!, it literally should be with me at the beginning of next week it's on it's way as we speak.
Next proper job I got for it (stair refitting) is only lined up mid Jan and as is AB200 availability in UK... I might need to find a "use before that"... (patience is not my virtue) ...

So 'm "thinking loudly":
Somebody near Surrey-Hampshire borders, with workshop or a job suitable for, interested (letting me in to) do a day of "helping"- testing- messing about (like is in the process of making of picture- mirror frames, building veneered cabinets, shelves, radiator covers, even stairs or custom units "project on the go"), perhaps has or had DF500 or DDF40 or even a poopy Triton to compare to or... I'd offer myself (and AB200). or even one of those making videos already to make bit of a trying- testing- reviewing thingy or even a quick vid? (you better be less good looking than me for that :D)
???

In my opinion I suspect the DF500 is the better tool for sheet goods and due to it's smaller size probably delivers better results than the 700 when it comes to handling and accuracy if the smaller plunge depth and dowel sizes suit your requirements. I will say the 700 does make a nice clean oblong hole very quickly, for me it is just getting the location bang on without going sloppy. I did have a play a while back and rather than make a sloppy fitting hole I just eased the edges of the domino's as suggested by a member on these forums and that does help so a step in the right direction.

I use dowels because I just find them easy to use but you need a decent jig that can deliver the accuracy needed, with these jigs the dowel pattern is really flexable but takes longer than a doweling machine like the Mafell where you have two dowels with fixed centres. I think the Triton has had some mention round here and if you want to go this route then why not just buy the Mafell . If you are not wanting speed then look at dowels, this Jessem Jig is great

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/jessem-dowelling-jig-with-6-8-10-and-12mm-heads-package/
or there are many other methods for making joints, it all comes down to your preference and selecting the right joint for the task in hand.

I've only "worked" with DF500- loved it, can not comment of DF700
In my line of work if I need to join something, I just knock up mdf "guide" or just use biscuits (with router), had some cheap dowel jig, but it was so bad, only glad to have lost it.
This JessEm looks nice, good bit of kit, but it still is way slower method, than dowellers (or even Domino'ers).
Once AB200 here, I'll give it good test and will able to say if any or much better or worse, than DF500, however in my experience for what I do and find them absolutely life saving solution IE for joining kitchen panels surely will be useful and time saver big time.

"As is" ATM, just can't think off what where to give it good run at.

While looking at the AB200 I came across these, which I haven’t seen before Look interesting:
IMG_3314.jpeg

Can be used in 12mm sheet material by the looks of it.

While looking at the AB200 I came across these, which I haven’t seen before Look interesting:
View attachment 170562

Can be used in 12mm sheet material by the looks of it.
AFAIK they are just 8mm plastic dowels in theory glueless solution for if you want "knock down" (make up- take apart- put together again) option, but even normal dowels, even without glue work just fine or even too fine, as sometimes they are so hard to get out, especially, out of thinner stock, that can split just from doing it (pulling them out more, than driving them in).
in 12mm material, I'd rather go with 6mm dowels, that risk with 8mm.. dunno, I'll see, if they have in stock in UK, will ask for few, if they do in smaller quantities for the testing purposes

"itching" in having a go ASAP, so much so...
Dropped a message to @petermillard if he'd be interested to give it a test run.
Had a very informative chat, not sure how much I can talk about it, but my "offer" as per below stands

So 'm "thinking loudly":
Somebody near Surrey-Hampshire borders, with workshop or a job suitable for, interested (letting me in to) do a day of "helping"- testing- messing about (like is in the process of making of picture- mirror frames, building veneered cabinets, shelves, radiator covers, even stairs or custom units "project on the go"), perhaps has or had DF500 or DDF40 or even a poopy Triton to compare to or... I'd offer myself (and AB200). or even one of those making videos already to make bit of a trying- testing- reviewing thingy or even a quick vid? (you better be less good looking than me for that :D)
???
I'll try to think of something by the time, I'll have it

Had a very informative chat, not sure how much I can talk about it, but my "offer" as per below stands
Thanks Alvy. Enjoyed the email chat, just to clarify:-

This is something that I’m personally curious about, but is a *very* niche product so not I think, of general interest to the 10MW audience overall.

Virutex aren’t a well known brand in the UK so other than the novelty value of another duo-doweller machine I’m not sure what there is to say about it, really, especially given that it’s hard for anyone to purchase.

I also struggle a little to see the USP of it; assuming it works decently, then is it just a (not much) cheaper version of the Mafell - albeit perhaps better engineered, for the folks who care about that? Or is there something else?

I do try to limit the amount of free exposure that I give to specific tools and brands that I don’t choose to use; I did contact [the one UK distributor] when I first learned of the AB200, but didn’t even receive the courtesy of a "thanks, but no” reply. That doesn’t exactly put me in a great frame of mind when it comes to the product.

I’m extremely grateful for Alvy’s very kind offer, and I am genuinely interested in the product, but it’s not something I’m likely to review publicly unless Virutex suddenly start taking the UK market seriously. But for anyone else within striking distance of Alvy then this is a great offer.

Someone should grab it with both hands.

Cheers, Peter.

When you look at there website I don't think the UK is on their radar, they only list 120 volt tools or some cordless.
110-115-120v is almost "equal" to 220-23-240v in it's current delivery, be it all electric components are different, but ultimately power delivery is measured in Watts (900W) and might be subjective, but I believe brushes last on "115v" tools last longer than of "230v" equivalent tool, but cabling need be thicker... saying it, as it taken me years to comprehend.. well sort off :D

Thanks Alvy. Enjoyed the email chat, just to clarify:-
Pleasure Peter!
This is something that I’m personally curious about, but is a *very* niche product so not I think, of general interest to the 10MW audience overall.
Indeed! in general most of us do ocasional jobs, that require proper jointing, most of the times screws do as good a job...
But then on those very few occasions like veneered or high end hardwood projects come up, that even smallest pins aren't acceptable to be seen.
As a carpenter- fitter my main intended use is for kitchen fitting (joining panels, even old style 44mm woped worktops), custom (glass-mirror) frames and even making up end fill paneling (shelving units) on site seem to be x1 out of x3 tools for. The other use for custom joinery, as in quick jointing solution (repairing stringers in my case, when I (we) used DF500 as stringer, newel repair- joining solution), doweller is rare tool in possession of carpenters or even joiners (workshops). From youtube content creator perspective it hardly can be of interest, knowing you have all the possible other jointing tools-solutions and covered them.
Virutex aren’t a well known brand in the UK so other than the novelty value of another duo-doweller machine I’m not sure what there is to say about it, really, especially given that it’s hard for anyone to purchase.
Virutex is "tiny" joinery- furniture tool and machinery maker , fixings supplier, their machinery indeed isn't meant for
masses, hence they aren't going to change anything for UK market alone-exclusively, bit like Mafell, only even smaller- bare minimum retail or support with almost 0 promotion or "stepping on the toes" of bigger money making manufacturers -"brands" more accurately, that treat tools and design in "volumes", "retail margins" 90%+ chinesium components/tools.
I also struggle a little to see the USP of it; assuming it works decently, then is it just a (not much) cheaper version of the Mafell - albeit perhaps better engineered, for the folks who care about that? Or is there something else?
DDF40 is almost £1k, whilst (cough fiue cough hundreed, score sterlings) roughly half the price option... (@Virutex, please don't kill me for revealing retail?)... for a made in Europe tool, even if it might turn out somehow slightly better or inferior to DDF40... needs be tested, before making final consumer conclusion how/ if it would fit in the wider market, but undeniably it's more joinery- furniture maker oriented tool.
There's DF500 option (with it's potential shortcomings, (price again)), but my personal option of screwing two or x3 MDF bits together works too, however those DIY wreckers, "bottom feeder" tools, I just can not make myself to even contemplating in buying.
I've met more carpenters without a single propper rail saw or a router, doweller is not a common tool at all, but wouldn't surprise me with a £200 Triton or something either.
I do try to limit the amount of free exposure that I give to specific tools and brands that I don’t choose to use; I did contact [the one UK distributor] when I first learned of the AB200, but didn’t even receive the courtesy of a "thanks, but no” reply. That doesn’t exactly put me in a great frame of mind when it comes to the product.
Makes sense, thanks for replying. As it comes to Virutex and them not replying to you... I kinda get them. Almost like most of us small time tradesmen, just can not possibly accommodate every single request, for whatever the reason.
Sometimes I get inquiries, that could be potentially "ground breaking", but out of scope of the work I do, easiest to answer (that I don't have an answer for) to not to reply....
I only got it organised/ordered for myself due to sheer persistence and harassment TBH... :D

Also, cough, the 230v units will be available cough in UK cough mid cough dec cough, the 110v cough mid cough Jan.
I’m extremely grateful for Alvy’s very kind offer, and I am genuinely interested in the product, but it’s not something I’m likely to review publicly unless Virutex suddenly start taking the UK market seriously. But for anyone else within striking distance of Alvy then this is a great offer.

Someone should grab it with both hands.

Cheers, Peter.
Once again, pleasure is mine Peter!

110-115-120v is almost "equal" to 220-23-240v in it's current delivery,
Not sure where you are coming from here, an American tool on 120 volts Ac at 60Hz cannot be used on UK mains at 230 volts Ac at 50 Hz. The UK 110 volt site supply is 55-0-55 volts Ac , again at 50 Hz .

I believe brushes last on "115v" tools last longer than of "230v" equivalent tool,
I use all 110 volt tools because apart from that was the maximum voltage allowed on sites my experience has shown me that they do tend to last longer although they require higher current for the same power output. One reason might be because the OEM's know that the 110 volt tools will get a harder life when used by the trades.

By the way thanks for introducing us to the Virutux as many including myself will never have heard of them and for me that location method using the square bar has got me thinking again about something similar might work for my xl700 and maybe in conjunction with my IDJ.

1701079066251.png

Not sure where you are coming from here, an American tool on 120 volts Ac at 60Hz cannot be used on UK mains at 230 volts Ac at 50 Hz. The UK 110 volt site supply is 55-0-55 volts Ac , again at 50 Hz .

I use all 110 volt tools because apart from that was the maximum voltage allowed on sites my experience has shown me that they do tend to last longer although they require higher current for the same power output. One reason might be because the OEM's know that the 110 volt tools will get a harder life when used by the trades.
Perhaps half of my power tools are imported from US and are rated 120v (or 110v or some older ones specified 115v), work flawlessly with UK 110v transformer power whatever the intricacies of them differences are.
Works, as per:
https://uk-yankee.com/guide/expat-guide-uk/electronics-compatibility
two kinds of motors that will be found inside electrical products, and one type is affected by the frequency, while the other is not. Synchronous motors are affected by the frequency mismatch. When such a motor made for 60 Hz receives 50 Hz, it runs at 5/6 speed. You will generally find that any product that contains a motor that runs at high speed (e.g. hair dryer), or must drive something with great force (e. g. power drill) will be a synchronous motor. DC motors are not affected by the frequency mismatch, because the motor runs on DC (for which frequency is irrelevant) and the DC current is supplied internally by the product. Thus, as long as the product gets current from a proper transformer, the motor inside will run at the correct speed.
just can't upload image, my bad, https://i.postimg.cc/KvBjJfKm/IMG-20231127-100713.jpg
is my "biggen" tranny or even any other had never given me any grief, especially when talking about battery chargers etc (from the states)

By the way thanks for introducing us to the Virutex as many including myself will never have heard of them and for me that location method using the square bar has got me thinking again about something similar might work for my xl700 and maybe in conjunction with my IDJ.

View attachment 170655
Ideally I'd have it in my hands AB200 first, but from videos it is fixed (clamped in to a slot) on/in dowler and by the looks of it that bar is 32mm spacing. By mid Dec, they should be available as tool accessory, I think, if that's what you are considering to adopt to your DF700

they should be available as tool accessory, I think, if that's what you are considering to adopt to your DF700
At the moment I have the FC tools DAJ which works ok on sheet goods, the one that looks better is the Woodpeckers Offset Base System for Festool Domino
but at £590 it is a bit hard to justify.

At the moment I have the FC tools DAJ which works ok on sheet goods, the one that looks better is the Woodpeckers Offset Base System for Festool Domino
but at £590 it is a bit hard to justify.
geeesus effing christ! I've been concerned if the whole doweller, (with guide) at £szo isn't too much, £590 for a accessory...
you must be paid in gold :p or in other words more than a plumbers are :D

Latest posts

Back