New Mafell router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it did not have the Maefell label would you think it was made by Maefell ? Those castings in grey look rough and a lot of plastic but that adaptor for use with a guide rail is not bad but it looks like an early development prototype. What is Maefell is the innovation in that it is not just another router based on what we all think a router is, that collet arrangement with a lever is a big leap forward providing it proves itself, no more spindle locking button and a spanner. On a personal note I do not like routers that have a poky out handle, it's like having a bicycle with offset handlebars .

I've seen this popping up across various platforms and it does look like quite the thing. Mafell really do think things through and innovate better than most *cough* Festool.

The one thing that made me twitch was right at the start of the video where he's showing the [ooh, that looks clever but I'd wonder if I might accidentally squeeze that button mid-route] hight locking mechanism in the handle. When he locks it off and pushes down on it... to my eyes the body of the router appears to descend just a touch. Maybe it's just me, but it would make me look twice at it even if I could get past the, as yet, unknown price tag. It's at 32 seconds in:

Amazing how the power of marketing works. Because you see a lot more Festool on YT and Instagram, I feel more hesitant over choosing Mafell for a premium tool because I'm not sure I could get the same support - but perhaps they don't need it because they focus much more on trade. Mafell don't have the equivalent of the FOG forum either, where you can find discussions about every detail of every tool.

However this router does look very very nice!

I’m not a fan of routers (give a spindle any day) but I do have a couple though which do have their place and uses. I’m really tempted to swap my larger Elu with that router, I have a couple of Mafell machines which are an absolute joy to use. I’ve compared using the track saw and jigsaw which I have with other products and personally felt that the performance and build quality was second to none.
I like a lot of the features that instead of just being gimmicks, I can see that I would actually use.

I feel more hesitant over choosing Mafell for a premium tool because I'm not sure I could get the same support
over the years I’ve had as good if not better support from Mafell, that’s not knocking Festool as I’ve found them very good but the recent support I’ve had for an out of warranty track saw from Mafell has been exemplary.

As for the router I’m very much looking forward to trying it out, as has been said their innovation is excellent & I’ve no doubt it will be an impressive tool.

over the years I’ve had as good if not better support from Mafell, that’s not knocking Festool as I’ve found them very good but the recent support I’ve had for an out of warranty track saw from Mafell has been exemplary.

As for the router I’m very much looking forward to trying it out, as has been said their innovation is excellent & I’ve no doubt it will be an impressive tool.
Good to hear Doug. My understanding is that Festool actually have their own company presence in the UK, whereas Mafell is more of a franchise / car dealership model and another company actually runs the UK operation. For some reason I feel more comfortable with the former but perhaps there's no practical difference.

That is a lot of very interesting features and I like al of them. Especially that little foot that comes down to prevent the dreaded tip.

Bit change is nifty. In fact all the features look really well thought out.

Anyone got a price on this ?.

That is a lot of very interesting features and I like al of them. Especially that little foot that comes down to prevent the dreaded tip.

Bit change is nifty. In fact all the features look really well thought out.

Anyone got a price on this ?.

Ironically from the discussion on FOG, someone said "List price is £675 or €778"

Thats not too bad, probably the equivalent price to the one hand Festool 1/4".
Mind you with Festool, they'd probably be charging you 40 quid for each of the guide bushings :LOL:

Hang on, don't you only use triton routers?
If axminster accept my offer for a drum sander then yes it will have to be. But if not I'll buy this router.

The big Triton's are good for big cutters and in the table, but for guide rails and 1/4" the festool was always amongst the best kit for the job. Superseded it appears now by this Mafell

to my eyes the body of the router appears to descend just a touch.

Having watched it several times I agree it does move a tad but if you were using the tool would you actually push like he is ? Saying that just the fact it moves is not good so tried it on a DW625 and a Trend T10 and neither budged.

I feel more hesitant over choosing Mafell for a premium tool because I'm not sure I could get the same support - but perhaps they don't need it because they focus much more on trade. Mafell don't have the equivalent of the FOG forum either, where you can find discussions about every detail of every tool.
Personally you have given the reasons why I would choose Maefell over Festool, I think Maefell sells and without all the marketing hype that Festool uses to push it's products and as you say used by the trade who don't want to discuss every detail of a tool but want something they can just use.

The big Triton's are good for big cutters and in the table
I agree but I don't think it is as straight cut anymore as it once was, if starting out from scratch with nothing then you would seriously look at the AUK motors in the Jessem / Incra lifts as they overcome any shortcommings in the Triton and are in my opinion a cost effective way to go but lets not forget the other elephant in the room which is the spindle moulder, it might be the better choice for some.

but for guide rails and 1/4" the festool was always amongst the best kit for the job

What makes it better than the others ? I use a 1/4 Bosch GOF600 which works well with the rails using an FC tools adaptor, which also allows me to use a Trend T10 on a track as well.

Mafell in my experience make their tools to be capable of withstanding heavy trade / light industrial use. Festool also good but not as sturdy. I have both brands and am happy with both. For a router of that type I would buy the Mafell as the bit change and other features are clever and I find their motors to be excellent.

Good to hear Doug. My understanding is that Festool actually have their own company presence in the UK, whereas Mafell is more of a franchise / car dealership model and another company actually runs the UK operation. For some reason I feel more comfortable with the former but perhaps there's no practical difference.
The company who distribute Mafell in the uk is NMA Agencies, if you go to a show & Mafell have a stand there are usually 2 guys Nathan & Jody & I’ve found both are great to deal with. I believe one covers the north of the country & the other the south, I find it nice that if I need to get in touch I’m dealing with someone I know & not a huge corporate entity.

mafell used to make festool routers the of2000. they then decided to manufacture there own. I have an of2000. it's a fairly subtle thing but it's powerful maybe the most powerful router made. it has a smooth plunge. and it has better quality spindle bearings than many routers giving a great finish. Worth the extra over say a dewalt maybe maybe not. it's actually a bit of a clone of the big dewalt as the fence from my dewalt fits this perfectly. and the controls are similar.

The single best feature of that router is the quick change collet arrangement, maybe it is based on something from the world of CNC or manufacturing assembly where some quick change tooling is released by air pressure.

Latest posts

Back