New Hegner Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks smoggy , yeah ebay is a bit of a black art :mrgreen:

as I read it last week it was his mother who had been bereaved and I think he didn't want to give her hassle when it was picked up I may be wrong but it was a good buy

a lot of people demand cash on collection so to avoid ebay cut which is ok but unfair if long distance and I would argue that they should accept paypal if you cant pick up

but like I said the new type of couriers that you see will pick up and the one that quoted me said he would wrap in bubble wrap

none of the hegners on their at moment are worth the money the other one that bidding has gone to 360 that has 18 bids although why people bid early and push the price up beats me #-o

on the face of it it looks good but I had another look last night and the blower pipe is missing and the top blade clamp the on off switch is older type that is not as sealed as newer ones

it will prob go for around 430 and for another couple hundred you can get a brand spanking new one with no hassle another thing I was curious about the plate on side of machine giving depth of cut gives a maximum of 50mm whereas the new one on hegner give a max thick of cut as 60mm +

I wouldn't pay that much for a 6 year old machine with bits missing but that's me :lol:

thanks smoggy , yeah ebay is a bit of a black art :mrgreen:

as I read it last week it was his mother who had been bereaved and I think he didn't want to give her hassle when it was picked up I may be wrong but it was a good buy

a lot of people demand cash on collection so to avoid ebay cut which is ok but unfair if long distance and I would argue that they should accept paypal if you cant pick up

but like I said the new type of couriers that you see will pick up and the one that quoted me said he would wrap in bubble wrap

none of the hegners on their at moment are worth the money the other one that bidding has gone to 360 that has 18 bids although why people bid early and push the price up beats me #-o

on the face of it it looks good but I had another look last night and the blower pipe is missing and the top blade clamp the on off switch is older type that is not as sealed as newer ones

it will prob go for around 430 and for another couple hundred you can get a brand spanking new one with no hassle another thing I was curious about the plate on side of machine giving depth of cut gives a maximum of 50mm whereas the new one on hegner give a max thick of cut as 60mm +

I wouldn't pay that much for a 6 year old machine with bits missing but that's me :lol:

scrimper I wouldn't know where to start running a business to make my whole living from to do that for 30 years I know you will have lots of skills that are transferable

I don't mean this in a arrogant way but its not rocket science :?:

I only do in spare time there is other guys on here who are more experienced at it than me like steve and Geoff I think Geoff does it full time 8hrs a day three craft fairs a week

my stuff is not difficult to make a lot dosent involve internal cuts as you prob seen on here if you look through my profile threads you will see type of stuff I make

some I create myself others I erm.... :-" borrow or adapt to suit my needs and just experimenting with ideas that I think might sell

as you will know in business price point is important and I think its a lot to do with presentation my market in the past has mainly been female with angels and love hearts , candle holders and then I have made crosses and wooden words

I then designed some simple clocks that sell really well , this time of year it is mainly angels and reindeer

I dabbled in rocking horses for a while which sold well but there is a lot of work involved

I also make some stuff wholesale for a couple of people which I like as I get paid by the hour and don't have to worry about selling it :shock:

even though my work is straight forward I am fussy about how it looks I mean finished well and presented well like in a nice box or bag

I once was at a craft fair and a guy was there who did some incredible creative work on the scroll saw far better than me but I was admiring his stuff and noticed some of his work had a lot of fuzz and breakthrough evident on the back that would be a no no
for me

make some stuff decide on price get some nice bags or boxes get a table cloth make some price tags and little signs find a local cheap fair or gala or market stall and load the car and give it a go :lol:

friends of friends or work colleagues are a good route too just show them what you make without pushing a sale or show photos like "hey you seen what I made at weekend"

its suprising how people like stuff and are happy to buy something sometimes , but diff people like diff things so I don't expect everyone to fall in love with what I make :lol:

there is some ponters about how to be with your customers on a stall but I leave that for when you have your first product to sell :p

Many thanks for that interesting summarise of how you 'operate' I do make a few things which I give to our local German Shepherd charity to sell at their fairs to help pay their costs one such item is shown below. They are advertising them at £2.75.

Noticing your lovely Reindeer I wondered if they might like me to make some to sell at their Christmas fair, I am sure I could make a few for them but I just wondered what sort of price they should ask for them?

Don't answer if you don't wish to but I just wondered what sort of price you sell yours for, sorry it seems a bit of a cheek to ask.

Attachments

• gsd.jpg
    gsd.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 662
like the decoration scrimper and looks really nice , I will pm you with details of the price I am sure they would like some of the reindeer to sell

mark

It may pay you to keep an eye on E-bay. The reason most say collect only is that they are a heavy lump and cost quite a bit to ship out and most people selling don't have the means to pack them correctly.

There's a Hegner Muticut 1 for auction on the bay now, couple of parts missing, but nowt to expensive, and the seller will courier, seems a good buy for someone starting off.

SS

Thanks SS,

I've noticed that one its single speed, the guy has another 2 his aspirations are £250 a piece they're ex school equipment. I think at the levels these are going for I'm considering buying new, that model is £400 with a 3 yr guarantee for me its a no brainer. I'm hoping to get the variable speed at the Harrogate show next week. But anyway thanks for the heads up your advice is much appreciated.

Chas

One of the reasons why people may not want to accept Paypal for collection items even if you offer to arrange your own courier is that under these circumstances Paypal's seller protection service doesn't cover you. So the seller can still be hit after the goods have been collected by an unscrupulous buyer issuing a chargeback and the seller has no come back and no longer has the goods. These days Paypal seem to favour the buyer over the seller regardless of the circumstances, so it stacks the odds against the seller.

they're ex school equipment

Your probably right smoggy, it makes me think how much abuse a scroll saw could get from kids, I think the blade would give way before they could do any serious damage.

Looking at the pictures it looks in decent condition, I think some ones going to get a cheap saw.

SS.

Hi SS.

I would agree with all of that, but I've decided on a variable speed and it'll almost certainly be a multicut 1sv. Although I will be looking in on the Axminster stand at the Harrogate show having said that there saws get such a panning even on there own website I doubt they'll tempt me !!!

Chas

Back