New Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought on friday the bosch GSB20-2rce for about 140 from powertools UK this is currently the best corded drill about

this is a very good allround hammerdrill, for all jobs arround the house, with constant electronic controll, so always the right torx

You just cannot have all cordless tools, (i know as I have about 4 18v cordless drill :wink: )

McLuma

Hi Dave,

I have a Kango SDS (hammer drilling only) which is a fabulous drill which I use for most masonry drilling; an enormous and quite heavy B&Q SDS which does drilling, hammer drilling, or hammer only which is useful for some DIY jobs; and an ordinary B&Q two speed drill for woodwork and drill stand use. Got all three for under £200.

If you were to buy only an SDS drill you would need an additional chuck, which is fitted via an adaptor into the SDS chuck, to take ordinary drills. This might make the physical length of the drill too long and unwieldly for many jobs and it would probably be far too long for drill stand work.

Quite good drills seem to be available for far less than £200 and I think you really need more than one to suit different types of work.

If you decide to buy an ordinary drill as well as the SDS, my advice would be to stay away from keyless chucks. In my experience they do not grip well enough and can easily ruin drill bits. Change it for a keyed one.

Hope this helps

Paul

davejester":30deon5s said:
So, how much should I spend and what should I go for? I'd like to get an SDS as it will be used a lot round the house but for now it's main use is the woodwork; in particular using this auger bit.

That mostly depends on what exactly you are going to use it for. The most versatile "drill" is a so-called Multihammer", such as the Metabo UHE 22.
This tool offers:
- rotary hammer mode
- chiselling action (not for heavy-duty demolitions)
- "common" drilling action, two speed gear unit
- interchangeable chuck (no need for an adapter and an extra chuck)
Drills that offer similar versatility are made by Kress and AEG.
The Hilti TE 2 M lacks the chiselling mode.
As far as I know, most (all) other SDS Plus rotary hammer drills (for example, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi etc.) are not equipped with a two speed gear unit. As a consequence of their rather low rpm, they are hardly suitable for drilling small dia holes in wood and steel.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Hi again Dave,

I wonder if you are looking at the right sort of tool for the work you have in mind. If you are planning to do lots of chasing walls for electrics, plumbing, etc would you be better off hiring a wall chaser for that work (see the Screwfix link in Neil's post above - they have several)? It would probably produce a far neater result than the demolition hammer approach you seem to have in mind.

Paul

I have the makita 6280 (14.4v) and have to say it's great. £99 for the drill, 30 minute charger and 3 batteries. Then over to dm-tools and you can get extra drill bodies for £38 each.

Andy

sds is very good it drills quickly with lots of hammer and will blow the front face of a brick if you are to heavy with it. i use the low cost £40 screwfix also good for demo. & chasing between diamond 'discings'
So consider the above drill + small angle grinder and d/discs and a medium range pistol drill with hammer for holes in wood and the smaller masonry drilling.

I have been wondering whether I'm really doing this the right way round. I thought SDS because drilling holes is so tough in our walls. This could just be the rubbish drill I've been using though. I also thought sds due to the slower speed being more suitable for the auger bit. I didn't realise you could get impact/hammer drills with two gears (which hence solves the auger problem).

Sounds like I need a decent hammer/impact drill for now. I can think about the SDS when I really need it.

Dave

Dave,

I would still go for an SDS drill - ordinary hammer drills are no comparison when you try to drill through concrete lintels, etc to put up curtain rails for example. But you could get a good one plus a good two speed ordinary drill (with or without hammer action) for your woodwork for far less than the £200 you were originally thinking of paying.

Paul

Newbie_Neil":2h4rt253 said:
Hi Dave

You can have a DeWalt SDS for 79.99. :D

Cheers
Neil

I have had this one for around 5 years so far. No Problems at all. Plenty of power, been dropped, stood on etc. never lets me down. I have a Chuck adapter with it so I can use ordinary bits too. Very Good Value at that price.

Lee.

Hi,

if the Metabo Multihammers are out of your budget you might want to have a look at the Kress Multihammer HMX 26. It isn’t equipped with the same interchangeable chuck feature the Metabo uses.
If the two speed gear box is not important to you, you can choose from a rather wide range of tools. My recommendation is to look for a SDS rotary hammer drill with a chuck change technology similar to the one the Bosch GBH 2-26 DFR offers.
Reason: As far as I know this mechanism is superior to inserting an adapter in the SDS chuck as it’s impossible to eliminate the play within the SDS chuck. Comparable Hammers are the Dewalt D 25103 K, the Dewalt D 25304 K (quite interesting due to the optionally available dust collection), the Makita HR 2450T, the Metabo KHE 26, the Metabo KHE 28 etc.

Hope this helps

Christian

Dave wrote,
I like the look of the Metabo drills in the Rutlands catalogue but 200 quid is a lot of money for a drill (or is it?).

Hi Dave. I can personally vouch for the Metabo. I have this one. For build quality and performance, I rate it as the 'Festool' of drills. Excellent speed control, an incredibly good keyless chuck and a very smooth, quiet motor and gearbox. Yes it's pricey but you do get what you pay for - it smacks of quality engineering and will last for donkeys years.

PS. I think the code thingy is a bit gimmicky but I have the earlier model without it.

cheers,

Ike

Thanks again for all the info.

I was all set on the bosch GSB 20-2 RE impact/hammer drill. I thought that would leave me with 100quid to spend on an SDS drill when I really need one. Then I saw the RCE model has controllable speed and constant speed; something I think I'll use a lot. Unfortunately it's another 30 quid. That's more than the Metabo SBE 750.

Now I'm back to wondering what to do. Ideally I'd like to make the decision by seeing them all but I don't have any decent shops near me.

SWMBO told me to just buy a drill but hitting that 'BUY-ME' button is proving much more difficult than I expected.

So, is Metabo better than Bosch? The Bosch does look very good.

Dave

Cool, I've just noticed that message took me from being a Forum Newbie to a Woodworker!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'd rate Metabo on par with Bosch blue stuff. Both brands would rate trade and some industrial.

Bosch green is light trade/home - OK but not close to Metabo build quality.

<edit> hadn't read your earlier posts thoroughly enough and didn't realise I was banging on about something over the budget - sorry!
:oops:
cheers,

Ike

Dave

Go for the Metabo sds.
I live in a granite house and the sds is the only drill that will cope
with the drilling the granite.
I have two metabo drills one sds and one normal and would highly recomend them.
I think they are one of the best I have seen on the market.
Check out power tools direct as they have some good deals on
metabo sds drills.

Mike

Dave

I've used many different corded drills including the Bosch mentioned earlier. If you are drilling into something REALLY hard than SDS is the only way to go IMHO. It's all there in the specs...the sheer power behind an SDS impact (if you get a big enough one !) knocks spots off the smaller hammer drills. No competition.

if you are chasing in soft wall material (such as thermalite blocks or equivalent) then i recommend SDS plus the channel cutting chisel from Armeg (available from Axminster). Hiring chasers is a good idea but in my experience they generate HUGE amounts of dust.

Roger

Latest posts

Back