New product for drilling straight holes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s no wonder it was never launched, there are plenty of devices to achieve what this ( gizmo ) claims.
Based on their Kickstarter, it will launch as it has collected many times more than the original goal.
However, the price is quite steep.

1707298221661.png

For this kind of money, I'd prefer to get an actual drill guide that doesn't require batteries.
Interesting device, if it was selling for £15-£20, I would definitely give it a go.

This thing only guides you to drill perpendicular holes, if I want perpendicular holes then I would rather use something that actually delivers perpendicular holes such as

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...0235?queryID=84910606673b5befe69d5a10a40db756
A cheap device that is ok for getting holes through timber square enough for fixing.

For precision as @paulrbarnard says the drill press is way more accurate and if you cannot take the work to the drill press due to size or such then I use a 1/4 router, guide bush and jig with a router drill bit .

It still relies on having a steady hand ,
maybe fine in thin material but what if you are drilling a 15 mm hole with an auger bit which grabs and can go off track as it hits knots etc . Drill press or a portable drill stand and at a $129. It’s a no from me .🫣

I recall that some years ago a way of drilling at 90 degrees to a surface was to drill through the centre of a CD (remember those)

If the reflection on the drill and the drill itself were straight all was well. If the reflection appeared to at an angle to the drill then the drill was other than at 90 degrees.

Cheap to zero cost!!

If you have a drill press but can't take it to the work, just drill a hole straight through a thickish lump of scrap wood and use that as a drill guide. You could even do angled holes like this

If you have a drill press but can't take it to the work, just drill a hole straight through a thickish lump of scrap wood and use that as a drill guide. You could even do angled holes like this
You beat me to it.
I can mostly drill a hole straight enough, freehand.
If I need a more precise job, the above mentioned does the job.

Back