Standard, or radial arm pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've been considering a new pillar drill for a while now, but which ?.
Standard, but I've always liked the idea of the radial arm, and that has a much greater throat depth, and theres times when chuck to pillar is just too narrow.
For example putting a larger diameter hole in a disc, of center of a board you always have to use a handheld drill, which isnt always as good, especially for it being exactly upright.

So what's others thoughts on this ?.

If you have the room and the lifting equipment to move it, you can’t beat a radial arm drill. But if you have the room why not get a mill instead?

Literally just got my Radial home a couple of days ago, I wasn’t particularly looking for a Radial but this came up on Marketplace, about 50 years old and looks almost brand new. £85. Haven’t had chance to try it much so I’m sorry I can’t answer your question
if You are looking s/h and one comes up why not as long as it isn’t badly made, it will give you more scope in your work. Internet’s pants will try to upload a photo.
Ian

9E356B76-7327-4520-90F3-BD062A344159.png

@TRITON
Hobby grade radial type pillar drills have a pretty poor reputation so you may want to shop for a better quality one.
Two common issues with the type are the quill travel tends to be shorter than you can get from an old classic (meddings, fobco, elliot, etc), and the quill does not stay exactly vertical.
It can be an advantage to be able to drill at an angle, but it's also an extra chore to adjust the spindle to exactly vertical each time you unlock the radial arm. Index mechanisms and keyways tend to have some slop which may or may not matter to you.

First hand experience here. I got an Axminster tools shop soiled radial one as my first pillar drill. Takes yo so much space I have to put it at 45 degrees to the wall. I've used the radial facility twice in 6 years. So, for me, it's not ideal.

...Takes up so much space I have to put it at 45 degrees to the wall.

Is there any reason a person could not introduce the horizontal tube to a hacksaw to make it fit the space available, while still benefiting from an increased throat depth?

Not many drills you need a cherry picker to operate ! That company looks to be involved with some type of turbines going by the large castings in the background.

If you have the room and the lifting equipment to move it, you can’t beat a radial arm drill. But if you have the room why not get a mill instead?
Buy a mill and before you know it you've loads of tooling and accessories to buy too. It's not something i need really.

The one I was considering is a bench top model, and they're not that heavy. Of the type im after, the standard in Ax is 37kg, the radial is 44kg Sealey, (Ax has stopped doing it.)

Not many drills you need a cherry picker to operate ! That company looks to be involved with some type of turbines going by the large castings in the background.
That green building in the background to the right is another machine.
Possibly a horizontal borer, lathe or gantry mill.
The manufacturers website is worth a look if you like the big stuff...

https://www.waldrich-coburg.com/

Back