Pillar drill not true

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggwelter

Reaction score
Hi I use a AXMINSTER PROFESSIONAL AP325PD BENCH PILLAR DRILL but every time I use it no matter what size bit or type of bit it doesn't drill true,the top of the drilled hole is always slightly bigger so cone like.All the bits are flat and true the chuck teeth are good and tight in fact I've tried several different chucks but all with the same result the drilled hole isn't true it's like a very subtle wobble in the mechanism above the chuck.
Unfortunately it's no longer covered by the Axminster warranty.
Many thanks folks

You say you've swapped chucks but there's at least two ways that can be done. Have you tried reseating the taper?

Have to say my first thought with the particular problem you are having would be to check that everything is aligned correctly. Have you checked that the pillar and head are vertical, and that the table is at right angles to it? Easy enough to check with a decent square. Chuck runout or wobble usually produces an overall bigger hole, and you can easily see a wobble. Not quite so easy If it is running out in terms of concentricity. To check that you can push the end of a square up against the side of the bit and then turn the spindle by hand. If it is running off centre it will be immediately apparent as the distance between the side of the bit and the square will vary. If the pillar is misaligned then using an ordinary twist drill it will tend to try and skid sideways slightly on contact, which could well lead to exactly the problem you describe. it would be helpful to know how much bigger the top of the hole is than the bottom.

Have you got any play int Quill, I had a professional Axminster pillar drill years ago which had way too much play in the quill, tried several things to prevent it but ended up getting rid of it & buying a Meddings

I’d check with a square, that the table is 90 degrees to the drill bit….very commmon for them to sag a little…it’s a good idea to put some sort of Jack under the table to get it true and stay true when drilling, as some move slightly under the pressure of the drill, especially large ones…

Mag stand and clock gauge is the only way to check. Could be a worn bearing, strip down and replace, complete set! If no seals on bearings I would replace with sealed ones,

I have an old (dull blue) Axminster pillar drill. This had only modest run out, but a lot of slop, especially in the lower bearing which allowed a rotary wobble when drill under pressure. Replacing the bearings made a new drill out of it. The table (round) was dished badly. A new table (2 layers of 18mm mdf) was fitted with shims to support it. 90 deg. now, large or small workpiece. and no matter where you put the setsquare to check. Perfect for woodwork. Despite claims to drill steel to 20mm, 10mm is pushing it as the table is not sufficiently rigid to resist rotary forces from the bit. Had to get a Meddings for metalwork.

Im not sure if you are aware that all consumer goods have to be fit for purpose and free from design, manufacturing and material defects. During the first year it’s up to the manufacturer to prove its not one of these, after this it’s down to the buyer. This requirement stands for the lifetime of the item, not just for the additional comfort that a manufacturer warranty provided.

Now I take it you bought the machine from Administer yourself:
So, first step nice email to Axminster explaining the problems and seeking help in resolving it. If this fails / get the brush off, send a letter before action, plenty of examples on the internet. About 80% of stuff is resolved when a company receives one of these. Next, after your 14 days have passed, instigate a County Court Judgement, about 10 mins on line and about £130, which you get back if you win. Now., around 99.9% of stuff gets resolved with this. Worst case you go to court, nice day out, you get to present your evidence, judge rules, you win you get the cost of the machine back plus your court fee, they get a CCJ along with the fine. If you loose it’s cost your £130 for the experience, you can’t get a CCJ against you because they will not be making a claim against you.

Latest posts

Back