Standard, or radial arm pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in the glass industry in the late 70s-early 90s the wired glass used in fire doors was polished clear at a site in Doncaster. The cast iron grinding heads arrived as a raw casting and were surfaced on a huge vertical milling machine that rotated the 10ft dia casting underneath the radial milling arm above it - spectacular to watch.

appolgies to the original poster if we’ve hijacked the thread

Radial arm drills in the home workshop size are more of a gimmick than anything useful and are very fiddly to use, for those times that you need a hole further in than a standard pillar drill can reach, get yourself a drill stand as this works just as well because drilling anything larger than a small hole with those radial arm drills causes the whole frame to bend slightly resulting than less than accurate holes.

Unless you go for a real radial arm drill of course as mentioned, but you'll need a fair bit of space for one.

img14.jpg

Radial arm drills in the home workshop size are more of a gimmick than anything useful and are very fiddly to use, for those times that you need a hole further in than a standard pillar drill can reach, get yourself a drill stand as this works just as well because drilling anything larger than a small hole with those radial arm drills causes the whole frame to bend slightly resulting than less than accurate holes.

Unless you go for a real radial arm drill of course as mentioned, but you'll need a fair bit of space for one.

img14.jpg
I'm off to machine Mart to see if they have one in the sales. ..^^^🤣🤣🤣

I work at Machine Mart. Although 'woodworking' is on price crash until the 2nd of January. Drills aren't included this time. But the offers cycle through quite regularly so keep your eyes on your e-mails from them

I work at Machine Mart. Although 'woodworking' is on price crash until the 2nd of January. Drills aren't included this time. But the offers cycle through quite regularly so keep your eyes on your e-mails from them
I ment the massive one up thread!🤣

Also have a look if Axminster have a sale on. I got one of their radial arm pillar drills fairly cheaply as it was end of line. I'm very happy with it and it's decent quality.

Back